softmodding bfg 6800oc

Can I damage my bfg 6800oc using RivaTuner to softmod my bfg from 12 to 16
pipelines. New to overclocking and modding pipelines.

Probably not and the extra pipelines will most likely not work.

Pete D wrote:
> "Joe Slaney" <jslaney@nf.sympatico.ca> wrote in message

>> Can I damage my bfg 6800oc using RivaTuner to softmod my bfg from 12
>> to 16 pipelines. New to overclocking and modding pipelines.

> Probably not and the extra pipelines will most likely not work.

I turned on the 4 extra pipelines and the 6th vertex on my Asus V9999 with
no ill effects but I have to say I don't see much improvement in gameplay.
Actually, even overclocking to 375, 1025 seems to work ok, but the only
difference I see is a few points increase in AquaMark3 test scores.

dvus

"dvus" <dven1invalid@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> Pete D wrote:
>> "Joe Slaney" <jslaney@nf.sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>
>>> Can I damage my bfg 6800oc using RivaTuner to softmod my bfg from 12
>>> to 16 pipelines. New to overclocking and modding pipelines.
>
>> Probably not and the extra pipelines will most likely not work.
>
> I turned on the 4 extra pipelines and the 6th vertex on my Asus V9999 with
> no ill effects but I have to say I don't see much improvement in gameplay.
> Actually, even overclocking to 375, 1025 seems to work ok, but the only
> difference I see is a few points increase in AquaMark3 test scores.
>
> dvus

Probably means that they are not actually working. It is quite normal for
this to happen as they use the "failed" chips to make the plain 6800 cards,
failed means that only 3 of the 4 blocks of pixel pipelines are operational
and therefore does not matter what you do they are not going to turn on.
Mine was the same. I have been runing 364/777 on my Leadtek card and it is
pretty fast anyway and it runs cool and not likely to die on me..

Pete D wrote:
> "dvus" <dven1invalid@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>> Pete D wrote:
>>> "Joe Slaney" <jslaney@nf.sympatico.ca> wrote in message

>>> Probably not and the extra pipelines will most likely not work.
>>
>> I turned on the 4 extra pipelines and the 6th vertex on my Asus
>> V9999 with no ill effects but I have to say I don't see much
>> improvement in gameplay. Actually, even overclocking to 375, 1025
>> seems to work ok, but the only difference I see is a few points
>> increase in AquaMark3 test scores.
>
> Probably means that they are not actually working. It is quite normal
> for this to happen as they use the "failed" chips to make the plain
> 6800 cards, failed means that only 3 of the 4 blocks of pixel
> pipelines are operational and therefore does not matter what you do
> they are not going to turn on. Mine was the same. I have been runing
> 364/777 on my Leadtek card and it is pretty fast anyway and it runs
> cool and not likely to die on me..

You may be right, RivaTuner reports them as "working" but I don't know if
that just means they're detected as "on" but not really doing anything
useful. There's likely other benchmarks that might be better suited to
determine that than AquaMark3, but I'm not informed enough to know which it
might be.

> Pete D wrote:
>> "dvus" <dven1invalid@adelphia.net> wrote in message

>>> I turned on the 4 extra pipelines and the 6th vertex on my Asus
>>> V9999 with no ill effects but I have to say I don't see much
>>> improvement in gameplay. Actually, even overclocking to 375, 1025
>>> seems to work ok, but the only difference I see is a few points
>>> increase in AquaMark3 test scores.
>>
>> Probably means that they are not actually working. It is quite normal
>> for this to happen as they use the "failed" chips to make the plain
>> 6800 cards, failed means that only 3 of the 4 blocks of pixel
>> pipelines are operational and therefore does not matter what you do
>> they are not going to turn on. Mine was the same. I have been runing
>> 364/777 on my Leadtek card and it is pretty fast anyway and it runs
>> cool and not likely to die on me..
>
> You may be right, RivaTuner reports them as "working" but I don't know if
> that just means they're detected as "on" but not really doing anything
> useful. There's likely other benchmarks that might be better suited to
> determine that than AquaMark3, but I'm not informed enough to know which
> it might be.
>
> dvus

If they are turned on you will seen an immediate improvement at the same
clock speeds.

Pete D wrote:
> "dvus" <dven1invalid@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>> Pete D wrote:
>>> "dvus" <dven1invalid@adelphia.net> wrote in message

>>> Probably means that they are not actually working. It is quite
>>> normal for this to happen as they use the "failed" chips to make
>>> the plain 6800 cards, failed means that only 3 of the 4 blocks of
>>> pixel pipelines are operational and therefore does not matter what
>>> you do they are not going to turn on. Mine was the same. I have
>>> been runing 364/777 on my Leadtek card and it is pretty fast anyway
>>> and it runs cool and not likely to die on me..
>>
>> You may be right, RivaTuner reports them as "working" but I don't
>> know if that just means they're detected as "on" but not really
>> doing anything useful. There's likely other benchmarks that might be
>> better suited to determine that than AquaMark3, but I'm not informed
>> enough to know which it might be.
>
> If they are turned on you will seen an immediate improvement at the
> same clock speeds.

My understanding is that my card is not one that has a good success rate as
far as turning on the extra pipes. Perhaps I'll play around a little more to
see if I can verify what's happened (or not) one way or another. Pretty much
everyone seems to know more than I about these cards so I have to go slow in
playing with these things.

dvus