Asus V8420 clock speeds

Powerstrip claims my Asus V8420 (Ti-4200) has these clock speeds:

Engine: 250 Mhz
Memory: 446 Mhz

But that doesn't at all make sense compared to the Asus spec:

Memory: 550MHz (275MHz DDR)
RAMDAC: 350MHz

What are the right speeds for my Asus V8420 ?

--
Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!

Lars-Erik Østerud <.@.> spewed forth the following...

> Powerstrip claims my Asus V8420 (Ti-4200) has these clock speeds:
>
> Engine: 250 Mhz
> Memory: 446 Mhz
>
> But that doesn't at all make sense compared to the Asus spec:
>
> Memory: 550MHz (275MHz DDR)
> RAMDAC: 350MHz
>
> What are the right speeds for my Asus V8420 ?

My V8420 defaults at a core speed of 261Mhz, and memory speed at 550Mhz.
Remember, RAMDAC is a seperate entity from core speed.

Also, it overclocks quite happily to 315/650. I`ve a feeling I could nudge
it higher, but at those at least it`ll play Doom 3 at quite decent rates for
hours on end without any screen artifacts or gliches.

Loz H

Loz H skrev:

> > Powerstrip claims my Asus V8420 (Ti-4200) has these clock speeds:
> >
> > Engine: 250 Mhz
> > Memory: 446 Mhz

> My V8420 defaults at a core speed of 261Mhz, and memory speed at 550Mhz.
> Remember, RAMDAC is a seperate entity from core speed.

I double checked (unistalled PowerStrip and turned off and on).
Still 250/446.

Does this mean that using the Nvidia drivers will run Asus cards at to
low speed? Do you need the Asus tweaked drivers do get the right
speed (or a tweak utility as PowerStrip)? Or why is it 250/446?

Think of all the Asus V8420/8440/8460 owners out there that has
downloaded updated drivers from Nvidia, now running to slow :)

Just to test, I'll uninstall my Nvidia 44.03 drivers and install the
Asus 44.03 drivers. And see what the default clock speeds are then :)

--
Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!

Lars-Erik Østerud <.@.> spewed forth the following...

> Does this mean that using the Nvidia drivers will run Asus cards at to
> low speed? Do you need the Asus tweaked drivers do get the right
> speed (or a tweak utility as PowerStrip)? Or why is it 250/446?
>
> Think of all the Asus V8420/8440/8460 owners out there that has
> downloaded updated drivers from Nvidia, now running to slow :)
>
> Just to test, I'll uninstall my Nvidia 44.03 drivers and install the
> Asus 44.03 drivers. And see what the default clock speeds are then :)

The clock speed is set in the cards BIOS. Out of interest, have you ever
tried to flash the bios? You may have inadvertently flashed with a more
"default settings" one.

The clock speed has been equal (I just use coolbits to bring up the clock
page) with all driver sets I`ve tried, from the ASUS drivers that came with
the card to the usual 44.03, 45.23 or whatever Nvidia ones.

Currently, I`m running the Omega 45.23s. Compared to the Nvidia ones,
although the benchmark score falls slightly, I get smoother performance and
slightly improved image quality in games, which is the important thing. :eek:)

Loz H

Loz H skrev:

> The clock speed is set in the cards BIOS. Out of interest, have you ever
> tried to flash the bios? You may have inadvertently flashed with a more
> "default settings" one.

Nope, the card is as original. Strange. Is there an Asus V8420 BIOS
out on the net? Then I could try flashing it just to be 100% sure.

--
Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!

Lars-Erik Østerud <.@.> spewed forth the following...

> Loz H skrev:
>
>> The clock speed is set in the cards BIOS. Out of interest, have you
>> ever tried to flash the bios? You may have inadvertently flashed
>> with a more "default settings" one.
>
> Nope, the card is as original. Strange. Is there an Asus V8420 BIOS
> out on the net? Then I could try flashing it just to be 100% sure.

I`ve not found some from having a quick Google around, but looking at my
bios with Nvidia bios editor ( http://download.guru3d.com/bios/ ) I can tell
you this information to look for. :eek:)

My bios reports itself as ASUS V8420S VGA BIOS Version 4.25.00.34.AS11, and
in the Initialization part of the editor, GPU/Clock are indeed reported as
GPU 260 and Memory 550.

Also, it seems that this allows you to save your bios file. Give me a valid
email address and I will email you my bios image if you like. If you dont
want to post a valid email on here, my email address is valid after removing
the obvious NO SPAM portion.

Loz H

Loz H skrev:

> My bios reports itself as ASUS V8420S VGA BIOS Version 4.25.00.34.AS11, and
> in the Initialization part of the editor, GPU/Clock are indeed reported as
> GPU 260 and Memory 550.

My data is as follows, and to be this is kinf of confusing
(mix of Asus and Nvidia here). I see that my BIOS is older
and the card has another ID (this is a V8420 AGP 4x with
DVI and TV out, it's not one of the later turbo models :)

Device ID: 0253 NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti4200
Sub Vendor: 1043 ASUSTeK Computer Inc
Sub Device ID: 8043

Signon message: ASUS V8420 VGA BIOS Version 4.25.00.30.AS08
BIOS Version: Version 4.25.00.30.00

OES String: Nvidia
VESA Vendor: Nvidia Corporation
VESA Product: NV25 Board
OEM Revision: 0
TV Code: Present
DFP Code: Present

Memory Clock: GPU 250 / Memory 446

--
Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!

Lars-Erik Østerud <.@.> spewed forth the following...

> My data is as follows, and to be this is kinf of confusing
> (mix of Asus and Nvidia here). I see that my BIOS is older
> and the card has another ID (this is a V8420 AGP 4x with
> DVI and TV out, it's not one of the later turbo models :)
>
> Device ID: 0253 NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti4200
> Sub Vendor: 1043 ASUSTeK Computer Inc
> Sub Device ID: 8043
>
> Signon message: ASUS V8420 VGA BIOS Version 4.25.00.30.AS08
> BIOS Version: Version 4.25.00.30.00
>
> OES String: Nvidia
> VESA Vendor: Nvidia Corporation
> VESA Product: NV25 Board
> OEM Revision: 0
> TV Code: Present
> DFP Code: Present
>
> Memory Clock: GPU 250 / Memory 446

This is quite strange, as having a good Google around, it seems all the
V8420 series, whether they`re the DVI, TD or Deluxe all should have the same
base specifications.
http://www.asus.com.tw/vga/agpv8420d/specification.htm

Then, this page, from the USA ASUS site, says that they all differ as such.
http://usa.asus.com/products/vga/vga_overview.htm#8420
But, that page implies that mine is the 8420 Deluxe, with smart doctor and
video in capabilities. However, I do not have video in or smart doctor. All
I have is the same that you have, which is DVI, SVGA and S-VHS.

This link shows a 8420D, which is rated at 250/512Mhz. Visually, the only
difference I can see between mine and that one is that mine has BGA memory,
which on mine is rated at 3.3ns.
http://www.santech.co.nz/specification/117/1459/spec.htm

Finally, all the reviews I have seen of the V8420 (and I went through quite
a lot prior to buying my one 18 months or so ago) all stated the 260/550
clocks as the main selling point, with no mention of lower-clocked ones...

Wouldn`t it be nice if manufacturers would stick to the one specification
per model name.. :eek:)

Loz H

"Loz H" <m3lsd@NOdsl.pipSPAMex.com> wrote in message
> Lars-Erik Østerud <.@.> spewed forth the following...
>
>> My data is as follows, and to be this is kinf of confusing
>> (mix of Asus and Nvidia here). I see that my BIOS is older
>> and the card has another ID (this is a V8420 AGP 4x with
>> DVI and TV out, it's not one of the later turbo models :)
>>
>> Device ID: 0253 NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti4200
>> Sub Vendor: 1043 ASUSTeK Computer Inc
>> Sub Device ID: 8043
>>
>> Signon message: ASUS V8420 VGA BIOS Version 4.25.00.30.AS08
>> BIOS Version: Version 4.25.00.30.00
>>
>> OES String: Nvidia
>> VESA Vendor: Nvidia Corporation
>> VESA Product: NV25 Board
>> OEM Revision: 0
>> TV Code: Present
>> DFP Code: Present
>>
>> Memory Clock: GPU 250 / Memory 446
>

> This is quite strange, as having a good Google around, it seems all the
> V8420 series, whether they`re the DVI, TD or Deluxe all should have the
> same
> base specifications.
> http://www.asus.com.tw/vga/agpv8420d/specification.htm
>

> Then, this page, from the USA ASUS site, says that they all differ as
> such.
> http://usa.asus.com/products/vga/vga_overview.htm#8420
> But, that page implies that mine is the 8420 Deluxe, with smart doctor and
> video in capabilities. However, I do not have video in or smart doctor.
> All
> I have is the same that you have, which is DVI, SVGA and S-VHS.
>

> This link shows a 8420D, which is rated at 250/512Mhz. Visually, the only
> difference I can see between mine and that one is that mine has BGA
> memory,
> which on mine is rated at 3.3ns.
> http://www.santech.co.nz/specification/117/1459/spec.htm
>
> Finally, all the reviews I have seen of the V8420 (and I went through
> quite
> a lot prior to buying my one 18 months or so ago) all stated the 260/550
> clocks as the main selling point, with no mention of lower-clocked ones...
>
> Wouldn`t it be nice if manufacturers would stick to the one specification
> per model name.. :eek:)
>

> Loz H

Manufacturer can not control the memory market. The memory will alway change
as time pass unless they purchase a huge volume at that time.

CapFusion,...