Intel Releases 3 "Upgrade Cards" for Sandy Bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

jblack

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
Wouldn't it be great if Intel would tell you exactly what you were getting instead of "15% faster" with increases in Frequency/Cache?

I've looked on Intel's site and they don't list the specs for the upgraded models anywhere.

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
Herp this is what happens when amd can't compete intel can artificially cripple their cpus to match amd's power/price point and still turn a profit, while at the same time turn even more of a profit selling keys to unlock more power from the cpus.

G

You do realize that the lower end processors are just high end processors with certain features disabled?

AMD does not make ANY triple core processors, they are quads with one core disabled...

Pretty much every modern intel has the architecture to support hyperthreading, it's just disabled on certain models by the firmware.

Confused Turtle

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2011
[citation][nom]big_BDS[/nom]This is the dumbest thing ever, will just go with AMD then I know what I'm paying for is what I'm getting.[/citation]

I've heard of people unlocking cores on their AMD processors. They throttle stuff too; they just don't offer upgrades. If you had purchased one of these throttled Intel processors earlier, you would still get the performance you originally expected from them.

I don't like the idea of disabling hardware as part of the bleed you for every cent scheme myself. But the worst thing you can do for a cause is give bad arguments for it.

kastraelie

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2006
Frankly I'm shocked. Not at Intel but at my friends and others I see on the net who think this is some new form of profiteering that hasn't been seen/done before...

This is what AMD, Nvidia, ATI, and Intel have been doing for well over a decade now...except now when Intel makes it easier, cheaper, and open to everyone people complain. People really must be slow to catch on.

It used to be you bought an artificially slower chip from the factory, and if you wanted to upgrade you replaced the ENTIRE chip--spending more money and having the hassle of taking it out of your system and installing a new one. Now you just pay an extra 50 bucks and instantly make it faster...

With GPU manufacturers it is the same thing...release the top end chip and keep disabling/removing features from it and selling it at lower price points to cover your market.

Yes, sometimes they go "up" by adding faster memory or "unlocking" the multipliers...but it essentially the same thing. Like sticking a Cobra sticker on your v6 mustang.

gto127

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
So basically intel is charging you to unlock their cores so you can overclock & have a little more cache. No thanks. I'm waiting for Bulldozer.

G

I may be wrong, but I thought the AMD tri-cores were made from defective AMD quads, and that enabling the 4th core could cause problems?

In the past, the lower end chips were just that, the lower quality products that came off the line(not all silicone is created equal...).

Now it seems like intel is taking perfectly good products and crippling them to sell them to you for cheap.

Again, this might not be exactly how it works, but thats the way ive always perceived it.

G

Freakin money whores. I respect Intel, but their prices and this is just wrong.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Let's see, save on production costs by offering a more inexpensive solution to the people who cannot yet afford the faster machine by using "upgrade cards". Sounds pretty fucking smart to me. Honestly, they should make one BAD ASS processor that would cost in the 500-600 dollar range and when you ready, you can purchase the upgrade.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
This is just another blurb of ignorant ranting on Tom's. Sounds just like my co-workers in my union. What!? Your going to charge us 14 dollars a week for health insurance and if we don't use that money in that year we lose it!!?? LOL

sunflier

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
We realize you had your new car for several months and did we mention the motor is only set @ 250 horsepower? But for an extra $1000 we can set it to 380 horses. And, in the next several months we are going to offer an extra 15mpg for the low price of $1200. All you need is this scratch off "upgrade card".

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]Confused Turtle[/nom]I've heard of people unlocking cores on their AMD processors. They throttle stuff too; they just don't offer upgrades. If you had purchased one of these throttled Intel processors earlier, you would still get the performance you originally expected from them.I don't like the idea of disabling hardware as part of the bleed you for every cent scheme myself. But the worst thing you can do for a cause is give bad arguments for it.[/citation]THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH BLEEDING PEOPLE FOR MONEY! NOT EVERYONE CAN AFFORD THE HIGHER END PROCESSOR! Where is this "bleeding" even coming from???

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]sunflier[/nom]We realize you had your new car for several months and did we mention the motor is only set @ 250 horsepower? But for an extra $1000 we can set it to 380 horses. And, in the next several months we are going to offer an extra 15mpg for the low price of $1200. All you need is this scratch off "upgrade card".[/citation]We realize you didn't have the "money" to afford all of the options at the time but will still opted to sell you the car initially with a few drawbacks. When you are ready, we have a great upgrade option that doesn't require you to purchase a new vehicle, have any modifications done and you can do it from home, online, in your underwear. Hmmm....

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]beenthere[/nom]You're a fool if you pay $50 extra for these trivial upgrades.[/citation]Or initially broke at the time of purchase.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]gto127[/nom]So basically intel is charging you to unlock their cores so you can overclock & have a little more cache. No thanks. I'm waiting for Bulldozer.[/citation]No, Intel is giving you a processor at a lower price point so they don't have to waste CPU's in order to achieve the same result with a completely useless, un-upgradable POS, I mean.. CPU.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]kastraelie[/nom]Frankly I'm shocked. Not at Intel but at my friends and others I see on the net who think this is some new form of profiteering that hasn't been seen/done before...This is what AMD, Nvidia, ATI, and Intel have been doing for well over a decade now...except now when Intel makes it easier, cheaper, and open to everyone people complain. People really must be slow to catch on.It used to be you bought an artificially slower chip from the factory, and if you wanted to upgrade you replaced the ENTIRE chip--spending more money and having the hassle of taking it out of your system and installing a new one. Now you just pay an extra 50 bucks and instantly make it faster...With GPU manufacturers it is the same thing...release the top end chip and keep disabling/removing features from it and selling it at lower price points to cover your market.Yes, sometimes they go "up" by adding faster memory or "unlocking" the multipliers...but it essentially the same thing. Like sticking a Cobra sticker on your v6 mustang.[/citation]Finally, someone with some common sense.

Tkozy

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
I haven't owned an OEM computer for a while, but these folks can't go into the bios and overclock it themselves? The vast majority of users might not have the technical knowledge to do so, but it seems that someone who knows about the upgrade cards might know enough to google overclocking.

Also, isn't this prone to piracy? Can't someone crack intel's software or write their own firmware for a free unlock?

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]Tkozy[/nom]I haven't owned an OEM computer for a while, but these folks can't go into the bios and overclock it themselves? The vast majority of users might not have the technical knowledge to do so, but it seems that someone who knows about the upgrade cards might know enough to google overclocking.Also, isn't this prone to piracy? Can't someone crack intel's software or write their own firmware for a free unlock?[/citation]Not trying to be a jerk, but... what about prepaid cellular phone cards?

I understand that most chips are just disabled better chips, but this is a rip off. If you purchased the original chip for say $65, and the next chip up is $70-75 (which is about the difference we are talking about) then $50 for an upgrade is just unreasonable.
Besides, these are all bottom barrel Pentiums and i3s. 15-20% of slow is still crap slow no matter how you look at it.

That being said, I have always bought Intel chips, and likely always will because back when AMD was fastest, good software wouldn't run on them, and now AMD just cannot compete except is low power markets that I rarely visit.

Status
Not open for further replies.