Would this work? (cooling 6800)

unkn2232324

I'm currently trying to quiet down my PC, and the noisiest thing now is my
Sparkle 6800 GT graphics card. I'm wondering if the following would work:
Disable and remove the on-card fan, install a 12CM fan right below the card
on a PCI slot. I'm not really concerned about the card running a little
hotter as long as it won't cause problems (of course).

The secondary option would be to install a custom GFX card cooler, but they
add lots of extra expense, especially if you want quiet jobs.

Any feedback to this?

Hey G ,

I wouldnt do it. That fan really needs to sit on top of the heatsink. It
might work of course , and I may very well be wrong , but for safetys sake
I'd probably advise against it.

B.

"G" <i.have.too@much.spam.com> wrote in message
> I'm currently trying to quiet down my PC, and the noisiest thing now is my
> Sparkle 6800 GT graphics card. I'm wondering if the following would work:
> Disable and remove the on-card fan, install a 12CM fan right below the
> card on a PCI slot. I'm not really concerned about the card running a
> little hotter as long as it won't cause problems (of course).
>
> The secondary option would be to install a custom GFX card cooler, but
> they add lots of extra expense, especially if you want quiet jobs.
>
> Any feedback to this?

> I wouldnt do it. That fan really needs to sit on top of the heatsink.
> It might work of course , and I may very well be wrong , but for
> safetys sake I'd probably advise against it.

What's the worst case scenerio if he tries? Don't the 6800 cards have
thermal protection in the event the cooling is inadequate and a temperature
monitor that he can use to see if long term damage is being done due to
higher than average temps?

unkn2232324

> What's the worst case scenerio if he tries? Don't the 6800 cards have
> thermal protection in the event the cooling is inadequate and a
> temperature
> monitor that he can use to see if long term damage is being done due to
> higher than average temps?

They have a temperature guage and thermal control which is why I was
contemplating it. Although it says thermal control kicks in at 120C, which
seems a little on the high side.

Name

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2003

Buy and install the Arctic Cooling Silencer NV 5. You will probably find it
for under $30. I did it with my 9800 Pro and the noise disappeared, my case
cooled down, and the card ran cooler (overclocked it even more). I now have
a 6800 GT and the AC is on the way from Newegg. HTH

"G" <i.have.too@much.spam.com> wrote in message
> I'm currently trying to quiet down my PC, and the noisiest thing now is my
> Sparkle 6800 GT graphics card. I'm wondering if the following would work:
> Disable and remove the on-card fan, install a 12CM fan right below the
card
> on a PCI slot. I'm not really concerned about the card running a little
> hotter as long as it won't cause problems (of course).
>
> The secondary option would be to install a custom GFX card cooler, but
they
> add lots of extra expense, especially if you want quiet jobs.
>
> Any feedback to this?

The 120 mm fan will have to sit directly on top of the card for this to
work... which means the fan will probably get noisy from all the air
turbulence.

A better method may be to Dremel out a blowhole and mount the fan on the
side of the case, so the intake airflow is parallel to the card.