Video Card Power Requirements

Tim

I have an old HP Pavilion PC (4535) which came with a 90 watt power supply.
Ironically they had the chutzpah to include PCI slots for upgrades - So my
challenge is to find a PCI video card that will not overtax its power
supply.

I know that this power supply can be replaced with a more powerful version,
but I just want to replace the PC's integrated i810 graphics with a real
video card, if nothing more than for the benefit of robust drivers. I would
like to run some old games without the glitches inherent with Intel's horrid
drivers. Does anyone know where I can find the power usage ratings for
older NVidia-based cards? Thanks in advance.

I do NOT believe any currently produced video cards, PCI or AGP, will run
off a mere 90 watt power supply.

--
DaveW

"Tim" <argybargy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have an old HP Pavilion PC (4535) which came with a 90 watt power supply.
> Ironically they had the chutzpah to include PCI slots for upgrades - So
> my
> challenge is to find a PCI video card that will not overtax its power
> supply.
>
> I know that this power supply can be replaced with a more powerful
> version,
> but I just want to replace the PC's integrated i810 graphics with a real
> video card, if nothing more than for the benefit of robust drivers. I
> would
> like to run some old games without the glitches inherent with Intel's
> horrid
> drivers. Does anyone know where I can find the power usage ratings for
> older NVidia-based cards? Thanks in advance.
>
> --

Tim

>I do NOT believe any currently produced video cards, PCI or AGP, will run
>off a mere 90 watt power supply.

Absolutely. But I'm considering older video cards like the TNT series, which
were produced about five years ago. I just can't find any power usage specs
for them.

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 00:23:45 GMT, "DaveW" <none@zero.org>
wrote:

>I do NOT believe any currently produced video cards, PCI or AGP, will run
>off a mere 90 watt power supply.

also keep an eye on your agp-slot-Spec.
some have 3.3V, the 4- and 8x-agp only have 1,5V.
check the MoBo-Manual!!

i would focus on a GForce 2MX or an Matrox G200 or 400-Card.
Maybe an Ati Rage 128, too.

Georg