CD-R part of the CD-RW-DVD is not working

gatekeeper

I have a 2 yr old Solo 1450 with an XP operating system. For some
reason the CD-RW part of my drive stopped working. It still plays
DVds but it wont recognize the CD-R part. I removed and re-installed
the drives and the Roxio 5.0 Easy Cd creator. I went back to a
previous recovery date but that didnt help either. Any ideas? Why
would the DVD sork and the CD-R wont?

Gatekeeper wrote:
> I have a 2 yr old Solo 1450 with an XP operating system. For some
> reason the CD-RW part of my drive stopped working. It still plays
> DVds but it wont recognize the CD-R part. I removed and re-installed
> the drives and the Roxio 5.0 Easy Cd creator. I went back to a
> previous recovery date but that didnt help either. Any ideas? Why
> would the DVD sork and the CD-R wont?

It is possible that the laser responsible for the CD-R part has gone
south. However, I would first try other media, blow out the dust
bunnies, and make sure that the drive is connecting properly in it's slot.

Mellow