zone alarm and OE

I just upgraded Zone Alarm and now it will not allow me to download email
with OE. Other than uninstalling and re-installing ZA (so I can reset all
of the programs to allow it to access the internet) how do I get my email
working again?

Thanks!!

Eddie G
13 answers Last reply
More about zone alarm

    "Eddie G" <mickeddie@(removeme)comcast.net> wrote in message
    >I just upgraded Zone Alarm and now it will not allow me to download email
    >with OE. Other than uninstalling and re-installing ZA (so I can reset all
    >of the programs to allow it to access the internet) how do I get my email
    >working again?

    I forgot to mention I am using the free version of ZA and am using Windows
    XP home. I can use OE for newsgroups with no challenges there.

    Eddie G <mickeddie@(removeme)comcast.net> wrote:
    > "Eddie G" <mickeddie@(removeme)comcast.net> wrote in message
    > >I just upgraded Zone Alarm and now it will not allow me to download email
    > >with OE. Other than uninstalling and re-installing ZA (so I can reset all
    > >of the programs to allow it to access the internet) how do I get my email
    > >working again?
    > I forgot to mention I am using the free version of ZA and am using Windows
    > XP home. I can use OE for newsgroups with no challenges there.

    Then you also can use the Windows-Firewall instead of ZA.

    Yours,
    VB.
    deutschen Schlafzimmern passiert".
    Harald Schmidt zum "Weltjugendtag"

    Eddie G wrote:

    >I just upgraded Zone Alarm and now it will not allow me to download email
    >with OE.

    Disabling MS software of every kind is a good safe bet. Enjoy it. And
    get a proper browser, mail client, and news client.

    --
    Godwin is a net-nazi

    > "Eddie G" <mickeddie@(removeme)comcast.net> wrote in message
    > >I just upgraded Zone Alarm and now it will not allow me to download
    email
    > >with OE. Other than uninstalling and re-installing ZA (so I can
    reset all
    > >of the programs to allow it to access the internet) how do I get my
    email
    > >working again?
    >
    > I forgot to mention I am using the free version of ZA and am using
    Windows
    > XP home. I can use OE for newsgroups with no challenges there.

    Hi Eddie, I believe a lot of people had this problem after upgrading
    on top of the old one. You can uninstall and re-install the new
    version to solve the problem, hopefully. Check it out at the ZoneLabs
    Forums. Link is inside the Help file.
    charlie R

    Eddie G wrote:
    > I just upgraded Zone Alarm and now it will not allow me to download
    > email with OE. Other than uninstalling and re-installing ZA (so I
    > can reset all of the programs to allow it to access the internet) how
    > do I get my email working again?
    >
    > Thanks!!
    >
    > Eddie G

    Is the following message relevent;

    "Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for
    inactivity. Account: 'pop.charter.net', Server: 'pop.charter.net', Protocol:
    POP3, Server Response: '+OK 5322 octets', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket
    Error: 10053, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F"

    If so;

    This problem may be caused due to ZA blocking Norton Antivirus email
    scanning. If you have NAV (or some other antivirus program), try disabling
    email scanning and see if your mail will download. If it will, you've
    identified the problem.

    PS: email scanning is totally unnecessary.

    --
    Sir_George

    "Sir_George" <Sir_George-newsgrp-cis@spamex.com> wrote in message
    > Eddie G wrote:
    > > I just upgraded Zone Alarm and now it will not allow me to
    download
    > > email with OE. Other than uninstalling and re-installing ZA (so I
    > > can reset all of the programs to allow it to access the internet)
    how
    > > do I get my email working again?
    > >
    > > Thanks!!
    > >
    > > Eddie G

    > Error: 10053, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F"
    >
    > If so;
    >
    > This problem may be caused due to ZA blocking Norton Antivirus email
    > scanning. If you have NAV (or some other antivirus program), try
    disabling
    > email scanning and see if your mail will download. If it will,
    you've
    > identified the problem.
    >
    > PS: email scanning is totally unnecessary.
    >
    > --
    > Sir_George

    I agree with that 100%. email scanning causes no end of problems, and
    isn't necessary at all. Realtime scanning will pop up and keep you
    from opening anything bad. Some AV's use a proxy for email, and
    you'll have to disable it in the app's settings. It will interfere
    with Mailsafe in ZAP also. I disable that also.

    charlie R

    "charlie R" <welpctSKIPME@psci.net> wrote in message

    <<SNIP>>
    >> --
    >> Sir_George
    >
    > I agree with that 100%. email scanning causes no end of problems, and
    > isn't necessary at all. Realtime scanning will pop up and keep you
    > from opening anything bad. Some AV's use a proxy for email, and
    > you'll have to disable it in the app's settings. It will interfere
    > with Mailsafe in ZAP also. I disable that also.
    >
    > charlie R

    You've got me confused. You're saying that scanning emails with antivirus
    software is unnecessary! Please explain that a bit for me. I'm under the
    impression that email is one of the major ways of getting virus's into my
    computer. I've got personal firewall as well as Norton Anti-virus software.

    Thanks for your help.

    DaveS

    DaveS wrote:
    > "charlie R" <welpctSKIPME@psci.net> wrote in message
    >>
    > <<SNIP>>
    >>> --
    >>> Sir_George
    >>
    >> I agree with that 100%. email scanning causes no end of problems,
    >> and isn't necessary at all. Realtime scanning will pop up and keep
    >> you from opening anything bad. Some AV's use a proxy for email, and
    >> you'll have to disable it in the app's settings. It will interfere
    >> with Mailsafe in ZAP also. I disable that also.
    >>
    >> charlie R
    >>

    > You've got me confused. You're saying that scanning emails with
    > antivirus software is unnecessary! Please explain that a bit for me.
    > I'm under the impression that email is one of the major ways of
    > getting virus's into my computer. I've got personal firewall as well
    > as Norton Anti-virus software.
    > Thanks for your help.
    >
    > DaveS

    Almost every anti-virus program for Windows installs by default a system
    scan that runs in the background every time Windows starts. This scan is
    necessary to protect your computer. If you receive a virus in an e-mail
    attachment, the virus cannot do anything at all until you actually open the
    attachment.

    See;
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/community/columns/filecorruption.mspx
    to read the rest of this article and for more detailed information.

    --
    Sir_George
  9. Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    "Sir_George" <Sir_George-newsgrp-cis@spamex.com> wrote in message
    <<SNIP>>

    > Almost every anti-virus program for Windows installs by default a system
    > scan that runs in the background every time Windows starts. This scan is
    > necessary to protect your computer. If you receive a virus in an e-mail
    > attachment, the virus cannot do anything at all until you actually open
    > the attachment.
    >
    > See;
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/community/columns/filecorruption.mspx
    > to read the rest of this article and for more detailed information.
    >
    > --
    > Sir_George

    "..... the virus cannot do anything at all until you actually open the
    attachment...." At which time, I assume the anti-virus protection will
    kick in and "kill" the virus.

    I, therefore, assume that in essence if I am checking incoming emails and
    then check later for any virus in the attachments (at start up as described
    above) that I'm doing double duty and wasting cycles on my PC?

    DaveS
  10. Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    DaveS wrote:
    > "Sir_George" <Sir_George-newsgrp-cis@spamex.com> wrote in message
    > <<SNIP>>
    >>
    >> Almost every anti-virus program for Windows installs by default a
    >> system scan that runs in the background every time Windows starts.
    >> This scan is necessary to protect your computer. If you receive a
    >> virus in an e-mail attachment, the virus cannot do anything at all
    >> until you actually open the attachment.
    >>
    >> See;
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/community/columns/filecorruption.mspx
    >> to read the rest of this article and for more detailed information.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Sir_George
    >>

    > "..... the virus cannot do anything at all until you actually open the
    > attachment...." At which time, I assume the anti-virus protection
    > will kick in and "kill" the virus.
    >
    > I, therefore, assume that in essence if I am checking incoming emails
    > and then check later for any virus in the attachments (at start up as
    > described above) that I'm doing double duty and wasting cycles on my
    > PC?
    > DaveS

    Correct!

    --
    Sir_George
  11. Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    Sir_George <Sir_George-newsgrp-cis@spamex.com> wrote:
    > Almost every anti-virus program for Windows installs by default a system
    > scan that runs in the background every time Windows starts. This scan is
    > necessary to protect your computer.

    I don't think so. This speacial "background scanning" is not a good idea,
    because it only costs resources, and is almost useless.

    > If you receive a virus in an e-mail
    > attachment, the virus cannot do anything at all until you actually open the
    > attachment.

    Yes. And because this, it's a very good idea to scan everything, before
    it's used in your system. This means, your virus scanner should scan any
    mail, before it's "opened" by you in your MTA.

    Yours,
    VB.
    deutschen Schlafzimmern passiert".
    Harald Schmidt zum "Weltjugendtag"
  12. Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    DaveS <davesamp@spam.net> wrote:
    > "..... the virus cannot do anything at all until you actually open the
    > attachment...." At which time, I assume the anti-virus protection will
    > kick in and "kill" the virus.

    This is a dangerous thinking. Of course, if you have a good virus scanner,
    it will find all viruses it knows (for which it's so important to keep it
    up to date). But there may be unknown viruses, too, and your virus scanner
    cannot find them. It is a good idea to handle everything with care, even
    if you have an actual virus scanner.

    > I, therefore, assume that in essence if I am checking incoming emails and
    > then check later for any virus in the attachments (at start up as described
    > above) that I'm doing double duty and wasting cycles on my PC?

    Yes.

    Yours,
    VB.
    deutschen Schlafzimmern passiert".
    Harald Schmidt zum "Weltjugendtag"
  13. Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    Eric D <youdont.needthis@hh.com> wrote:
    > I have rebooted and still Zone Alarm does not function.

    *sigh* - some people don't want to learn.

    > My operating system is XP Professional SP1 and connection to the Internet is
    > via dial-up modem using IE as the browser.

    This is catastrophic. Please do use SP2. And perhaps another browser.

    Yours,
    VB.
    deutschen Schlafzimmern passiert".
    Harald Schmidt zum "Weltjugendtag"