NVIDIA 6800 Video Processor Failure

http://www.nvmax.com/?action=content_read;id=299
15 answers Last reply
More about nvidia 6800 video processor failure

    "Rusty" <rlsmith004@netzero.com> wrote in message
    > http://www.nvmax.com/?action=content_read;id=299

    Old news, standard answer 101: "Fixed in next stepping"...continuing a fine
    tradition of video chip manufacturers of using their consumer base as beta
    testers as they rush their kit to market...

    "Nerdillius Maximus" <nobody@nowhere.net> wrote in message

    > "Rusty" <rlsmith004@netzero.com> wrote in message
    >> http://www.nvmax.com/?action=content_read;id=299
    >>

    > Old news, standard answer 101: "Fixed in next stepping"...continuing a
    > fine
    > tradition of video chip manufacturers of using their consumer base as beta
    > testers as they rush their kit to market...

    Well if everyone continues to buy the stuff what do you expect?

    > "Nerdillius Maximus" <nobody@nowhere.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Rusty" <rlsmith004@netzero.com> wrote in message
    >>> http://www.nvmax.com/?action=content_read;id=299
    >>>

    >> Old news, standard answer 101: "Fixed in next stepping"...continuing a
    >> fine
    >> tradition of video chip manufacturers of using their consumer base as
    >> beta
    >> testers as they rush their kit to market...
    >>

    > Well if everyone continues to buy the stuff what do you expect?
    Most consumers probably have no idea it isn't working, and never will. It
    plays Solitaire and sends e-mail fine, so they won't care.

    Rusty wrote:
    > http://www.nvmax.com/?action=content_read;id=299

    If you searched the group, you would have knowen this was posted several
    times over the last few months.

    Might go post a 'PS3 is missing on the X800' in a.c.p.v.ati or do you
    think they already know?

    "Nerdillius Maximus" <nobody@nowhere.net> wrote in message

    > "Rusty" <rlsmith004@netzero.com> wrote in message
    >> http://www.nvmax.com/?action=content_read;id=299
    >>

    > Old news, standard answer 101: "Fixed in next stepping"...continuing a
    > fine
    > tradition of video chip manufacturers of using their consumer base as beta
    > testers as they rush their kit to market...

    Old news and you give the standard wrong answer.

    The correct answer is: "Not enabled in current drivers". I don't think
    there's any doubt that there's something not right at the hardware level.
    But its far from completely bust and nVidia are saying it will be enabled in
    drivers to be released end November.

    I get 20-something percent CPU decoding HD 1080i mpeg2 source material, so
    the decoder clearly "works". The issue is with HD WMV's only. If they can
    get that working to anything like the same degree - even sub 50% - then this
    will turn out to have been a complete non-issue.

    Chip

    On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 00:31:51 GMT, "Rusty" <rlsmith004@netzero.com>
    wrote:

    >http://www.nvmax.com/?action=content_read;id=299

    Old news...troll...go back to the Ati newsgroup........

    John Lewis

    Sorry did not realize it was old news. I have never owned a ATI card. I
    used 3dFX (voodoo 1, 2, 3) cards until NVIDIA took over, then I went to
    geforce series of cards (GF2, GF3, GF4, FX). I currently have a 5900XT @
    450/900 slight volt mod. Quite an arrogant group of responses though seeing
    how I did not type a single message. Scary! I will be sure to take the
    advice from this forum with a grain of salt.

    "Rusty" <rlsmith004@netzero.com> wrote in message
    > http://www.nvmax.com/?action=content_read;id=299

    >>http://www.nvmax.com/?action=content_read;id=299
    >>

    > Old news...troll...go back to the Ati newsgroup........

    Aye. As Chip said, its been fixed in newer drivers.

    Do not takeprevious posts too seriously. Lots of wrong "news" are coming
    from ATI fans just as a joke.

    > Do not takeprevious posts too seriously. Lots of wrong "news" are coming
    > from ATI fans just as a joke.

    Aye

    "Chip" <anneonymouse@virgin.net> wrote in message

    > "Nerdillius Maximus" <nobody@nowhere.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Rusty" <rlsmith004@netzero.com> wrote in message
    > >> http://www.nvmax.com/?action=content_read;id=299
    > >>

    > > Old news, standard answer 101: "Fixed in next stepping"...continuing a
    > > fine
    > > tradition of video chip manufacturers of using their consumer base as
    beta
    > > testers as they rush their kit to market...
    > >

    > Old news and you give the standard wrong answer.

    I may have been mistaken. I read it somewhere. Nonetheless, my latter
    comment stands.

    > The correct answer is: "Not enabled in current drivers". I don't think
    > there's any doubt that there's something not right at the hardware level.

    Which would mean? "fixed in next stepping", perhaps?

    > But its far from completely bust and nVidia are saying it will be enabled
    in
    > drivers to be released end November.
    >
    > I get 20-something percent CPU decoding HD 1080i mpeg2 source material, so
    > the decoder clearly "works".

    This might be partial software decoding...

    The issue is with HD WMV's only. If they can
    > get that working to anything like the same degree - even sub 50% - then
    this
    > will turn out to have been a complete non-issue.

    Hopefully it will happen, and soon. I'd like to slap a 6800 GT in my main
    rig...

    > Chip
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    "Sinke" <no@spam.here> wrote in message news:cnip9e$lih$1@sunce.iskon.hr...
    > Do not takeprevious posts too seriously. Lots of wrong "news" are coming
    > from ATI fans just as a joke.

    I hope you aren't referring to me. I'm agnostic as far as this goes. I'm
    "ambidextrous". I have examples of both ATI and Nvidia hardware that I
    happily use. You wouldn't catch me running an ATI card using Linux, for
    example...as far as ANY manufacturer is concerned, I'm pro-consumer. Not
    that I really feel the need to explain myself to you, but in case you were
    under any sort of misconception, perhaps this might clarify things. Fanbois
    on either side of the fence need to get a life and a good solid whack with a
    clue-by-twelve attitude adjustment plank. I guess they aren't called
    "Nvidiots" and "fanATIcs" for nothing...
  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    > The correct answer is: "Not enabled in current drivers". I don't
    > material, so the decoder clearly "works". The issue is with HD WMV's
    > only. If they can get that working to anything like the same degree -
    > even sub 50% - then this will turn out to have been a complete
    > non-issue.

    More than the likely the 6600, 6200 and 6800PCI Express cards will provide
    better WMV support than the AGP 6800 cards. The main problem is, if there
    is a defect in the silicon, then the video processor on the 6800AGP cards
    probably isn't as programmable as it was made out to be (and thus will get
    left behind when NVidia starts adding support for other formats other than
    MPEG2.)
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    Thanks, I never liked ATI cards I am sure they work fine in most cases. The
    ATI cards that I have had experience with (9200 and 9600SE) have had driver
    problems with various video games and ATI doesn't make revision often enough
    to correct them. NVIDIA over compensates and will release a new driver once
    every two or three months. I have always liked the NVIDIA's driver support
    for there GPU's, they could have left it up to the card manufacture.

    I wasn't trying to bash NVIDIA or ATI happened to come across the article
    while I was looking for info on the 6600GT, did a quick scan through the
    forum here and did not see any thing. So I posted the web page that
    contained the article. I never though I would get such a response. I going
    to acquire a new NF4 SLI MB in the near future and I wanted to install two
    6600GT PCIe cards in SLI mode. Again sorry for the post, I did not realize
    that ATI fans were doing this.

    "Sinke" <no@spam.here> wrote in message news:cnip9e$lih$1@sunce.iskon.hr...
    > Do not takeprevious posts too seriously. Lots of wrong "news" are coming
    > from ATI fans just as a joke.

  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 18:08:41 GMT, "Rusty" <rlsmith004@netzero.com>
    wrote:

    >Sorry did not realize it was old news. I have never owned a ATI card. I
    >used 3dFX (voodoo 1, 2, 3) cards until NVIDIA took over, then I went to
    >geforce series of cards (GF2, GF3, GF4, FX). I currently have a 5900XT @
    >450/900 slight volt mod. Quite an arrogant group of responses though seeing
    >how I did not type a single message. Scary! I will be sure to take the
    >advice from this forum with a grain of salt.

    Many Apologies, Rusty.
    There are too many trolls with similar messages on both newsgroups...

    John Lewis

    >"Rusty" <rlsmith004@netzero.com> wrote in message
    >> http://www.nvmax.com/?action=content_read;id=299

Nvidia Video Processors Graphics