NTSC vs. PAL 6800GT?

OK, so i have a Leadtek 6800GT, but it appears the card is NTSC, since i
bought it in the US. I however i live in Ireland which is PAL.

My first question is what is the difference and will an NTSC card cause me
any problems?

My second question is how do i flash the Leadtek VGA bios to PAL?, i have
tried. Downloaded the official Leadtek PAL bios but the flash is rejected as
the bios files don't match.

Because the bios installed is NTSC and i am flashing a PAL bios which has a
different filename and the vendor ID for the NTSC card differs to that of
PAL cards.

NTSC = 20172996.rom
PAL = 20172997.rom

Even renaming the PAL bios to 2996.rom does not help as the wfflash.exe
utility detects that the vendor ID of the NTSC card differs to that of what
the PAL bios is, the vendor ID of a PAL card should be 2997.

Any help?

> OK, so i have a Leadtek 6800GT, but it appears the card is NTSC, since i
> bought it in the US. I however i live in Ireland which is PAL.
>
> My first question is what is the difference and will an NTSC card cause me
> any problems?

I think it's only relevant if you use TV-out. And even then, the driver
should let you choose PAL; I think the only difference is it will
default to NTSC. At least with my NTSC 5900XT, I can choose PAL as the
TV output format. (I don't have a PAL TV so I can't say whether it
works, but I can't imagine it wouldn't.)

> Even renaming the PAL bios to 2996.rom does not help as the wfflash.exe
> utility detects that the vendor ID of the NTSC card differs to that of what
> the PAL bios is, the vendor ID of a PAL card should be 2997.

There's probably a command-line switch to force it to flash anyway,
despite the mismatched ID. Of course, you're taking a risk there on the
off chance that Leadtek uses different memory in their European market
or something like that.

Richard Dower wrote:
> OK, so i have a Leadtek 6800GT, but it appears the card is NTSC, since i
> bought it in the US. I however i live in Ireland which is PAL.
>
> My first question is what is the difference and will an NTSC card cause me
> any problems?
>
> My second question is how do i flash the Leadtek VGA bios to PAL?, i have
> tried. Downloaded the official Leadtek PAL bios but the flash is rejected as
> the bios files don't match.
>
> Because the bios installed is NTSC and i am flashing a PAL bios which has a
> different filename and the vendor ID for the NTSC card differs to that of
> PAL cards.
>
> NTSC = 20172996.rom
> PAL = 20172997.rom
>
> Even renaming the PAL bios to 2996.rom does not help as the wfflash.exe
> utility detects that the vendor ID of the NTSC card differs to that of what
> the PAL bios is, the vendor ID of a PAL card should be 2997.
>
> Any help?

The card will boot up as NTSC, which means b/w on bootup. But from the
nVdia display applet, you can select PAL as the colour system. This will
work once Windows boots up. THe NTSC default only affects yer
bootup/POST screens.