Kernel compile benchmark is back.

G

Did Tom discuss the procedure he uses to run this benchmark, back when it first came out? It must be a 2.2 series kernel, and somewhat stripped down at that to get 130 second compile times. My time for a 2.4.3 kernel with a 1.2GHz TBird is about 270 sec.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.
In practice, there is.

G

What options are you using? Is it just the default options when you unpack the source?
My custom kernel with IDE, USB, all the standard stuff, etc.. compiles in about 200sec on my TBird 1.0GHz

As for what Tom uses, the only information I have been able to find is from <A HREF="http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/00q3/0008282/index.html" target="_new">this article on the p3-1.133</A>:
This compilation is using gcc 2.95.2, compiling an average kernel to a size of 572 kB.
--------
I have not yet begun to procrastinate.

G

Here is how I do it:

% make mrproper
% make clean (this is redundant I think)
% make menuconfig
(tab to exit, and answer yes when it asks you to save configuration)
% make dep
% time make bzImage

I've seen that procedure described at least one other place, so I've kind of adopted it myself. My custom kernel is much faster after I strip out & modularize stuff. This is just kind of a reference benchmark.

What kernel version are you using? I've found that 2.2.* are much faster then 2.4.*

In practice, there is.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ergeorge on 04/30/01 04:59 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

Just finished a round of testing and this is what I found:

Sytem:
AMD TBird Athlon 1.0GHz (200MHz fsb)
Asus A7V
128MB PC-133 2-2-2
2x Maxtor 20GB 7200rpm 2MB cache

compilations were completed as per your method, with the following compilers:
gcc version 2.96
egcs version 2.91.66
kgcc - reports egcs version 2.91.66

kernel 2.2.17
gcc - have never been able to compile a 2.2.x kernel with gcc
egcs - 101sec, 569kB
kgcc - 101sec, 569kB

kernel 2.4.4
gcc - 331sec, 944kB
egcs - 182sec, 943kB
kgcc - 180sec, 943kB

this machine compiled the earlier 2.4.0 and 2.4.2 custom kernels in about 180 sec, from what I can remember.

I'm suprised at how much bigger the 2.4 kernels are compared to the 2.2 versions. It does have better USB support and a rewritten networking layer, but there must be some major changes to have a 65% bigger kernel.

--------
I have not yet begun to procrastinate.

G

>kernel 2.4.4
>gcc - 331sec, 944kB

Ok, that's in line with my results considering the difference in machines (mine is 1.2 GHz, 133MHz bus). I was using the gcc 2.96 compiler also.
Thanks

In practice, there is.