Closed

Logitech gamepad and GTA for PC

After playing GTA on PS2 for a long time, I recently purchased GTA Vice
City for PC and was immediately flustered by the keyboard controls. I
know Logitech sells a gamepad similar to the PS2 controller and I'm
wondering if it's worth the purchase and controls the game in the same
way?
8 answers Last reply
More about logitech gamepad

    On 27 Jul 2005 14:33:08 -0700, dom@aconcagua.zzn.com wrote:

    >After playing GTA on PS2 for a long time, I recently purchased GTA Vice
    >City for PC and was immediately flustered by the keyboard controls. I
    >know Logitech sells a gamepad similar to the PS2 controller and I'm
    >wondering if it's worth the purchase and controls the game in the same
    >way?

    It is worth purchasing a gamepad for the flying sections of the game,
    I have the Logitech Wingman Cordless. For ground work, persevere with
    the keyboard and mouse, it is far superior.

    Andrew wrote:
    > On 27 Jul 2005 14:33:08 -0700, dom@aconcagua.zzn.com wrote:
    >

    >>After playing GTA on PS2 for a long time, I recently purchased GTA Vice
    >>City for PC and was immediately flustered by the keyboard controls. I
    >>know Logitech sells a gamepad similar to the PS2 controller and I'm
    >>wondering if it's worth the purchase and controls the game in the same
    >>way?
    >

    > It is worth purchasing a gamepad for the flying sections of the game,
    > I have the Logitech Wingman Cordless. For ground work, persevere with
    > the keyboard and mouse, it is far superior.

    You can use a playstation or xbox gamepad with a pc, you just need a
    converter cable (lots available ebay, they're not expensive).

    If you're planning on playing with a gamepad check out the San Andreas
    Advanced control utility. It allows far more tweaking of the gamepad
    controls than is possible within the game and adds rumble support (which
    was taken out of the PC game but is present in the ps2 and xbox
    versions). Download it from here:

    http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=197940&st=0

    --
    drbob

    OE Users - check this out!

    dom@aconcagua.zzn.com wrote in news:1122499988.325132.111870
    @o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

    > After playing GTA on PS2 for a long time, I recently purchased GTA Vice
    > City for PC and was immediately flustered by the keyboard controls. I
    > know Logitech sells a gamepad similar to the PS2 controller and I'm
    > wondering if it's worth the purchase and controls the game in the same
    > way?

    I was in the same boat as you, and bought one of these: (SmartJoy PLUS)

    http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=23&products_id=3833&

    It works perfectly with San Andreas, even the rumble/vibration.

    bwahhhh

    > If you're planning on playing with a gamepad check out the San Andreas
    > Advanced control utility. It allows far more tweaking of the gamepad
    > controls than is possible within the game and adds rumble support (which
    > was taken out of the PC game but is present in the ps2 and xbox
    > versions). Download it from here:
    >
    > http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=197940&st=0

    Great, looks like this tool allows one to bind the escape function to a
    joypad button; a question I posted here recently.

    Bram
    --
    http://www.stack.nl/~brama/gtastats.html
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    > On 27 Jul 2005 14:33:08 -0700, dom@aconcagua.zzn.com wrote:
    >
    > After playing GTA on PS2 for a long time, I recently purchased GTA Vice
    > City for PC and was immediately flustered by the keyboard controls. I
    > know Logitech sells a gamepad similar to the PS2 controller and I'm
    > wondering if it's worth the purchase and controls the game in the same
    > way?

    I've never played the PS2 versions of the game, but I use a Logitech
    rumblepad with dual analog sticks and it works well for me. The
    wingman controller utility lets you remap keys to buttons and set
    profiles for whatever game you want to play.

    I use the keyboard and mouse when on foot, though.

    > drbob wrote:
    >
    > If you're planning on playing with a gamepad check out the San Andreas
    > Advanced control utility. It allows far more tweaking of the gamepad
    > controls than is possible within the game and adds rumble support (which
    > was taken out of the PC game but is present in the ps2 and xbox
    > versions). Download it from here:
    >
    > http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=197940&st=0

    Cool, thanks!
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    bwahhhh <dr.eclipse@g*ee*mail.com> writes:

    > I was in the same boat as you, and bought one of these: (SmartJoy PLUS)
    >
    > http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=23&products_id=3833&
    >
    > It works perfectly with San Andreas, even the rumble/vibration.

    What about the buttons, are they analog on the PC as well or does the
    cable limit them to digital function only? What I'm looking for is
    analog throttle and brakes in buttons, just like on the PS2.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    Anssi Saari wrote:
    > bwahhhh <dr.eclipse@g*ee*mail.com> writes:
    >

    >>I was in the same boat as you, and bought one of these: (SmartJoy PLUS)
    >>
    >>http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=23&products_id=3833&
    >>
    >>It works perfectly with San Andreas, even the rumble/vibration.
    >

    > What about the buttons, are they analog on the PC as well or does the
    > cable limit them to digital function only? What I'm looking for is
    > analog throttle and brakes in buttons, just like on the PS2.

    Use a ps2 or xbox controller with the pc. The majority of PC gamepads
    have digital only buttons. If you're looking to replicate the ps2 play
    experience then a ps2 controller is the way to go. You can get converter
    cables (ps2 or xbox connector -> usb) from ebay. They aren't expensive.

    --
    drbob

    OE Users - check this out!

PlayStation Games Gamepad Logitech Video Games