Gateway 1200 Solo Laptop the overheated and won't come back

I have a Gateway Solo 1200 Laptop computer with 800 mhz processor that
I bought from ebay. It worked for like 30 minutes, long enough to
clean up the cookies, temp files and load my dlink wireless g650
pcmia card. The bottom got warm but my thinkpad got warm too with no
problem. I brought the gateway next door to show mom and poof.... the
darn thing died. I thought the battery wasn't charged so I brought it
back home and plugged it in. Before I had a green LED for the power
and an orange one showing the battery charging. Now, I have a green
one showing the battery is charged but no power. I tried a different
cord, no battery, with battery, tested the voltage of the cable with a
meter everything checked out but still no power. The book I got from
the library had me completely take this crazy thing apart and try the
power without any drives or anything.. still no power, no fan. Now I
am down to the Motherboard or the power supply. HELP! How do I know
how to test these?

I called Gateway and they told me it overheated and to mail it to
Texas. But I thought "Hey, I'm not totally stupid, I might can do
this if I had the right book" I am now having second thoughts! I
can't give in now because it's become "personal" if you know what I
mean.

I am also going to need some schematics on putting this back together.
I think I have it but can't be too sure. I know just enough about
this computer stuff to be dangerous but not enough to fix it
apparently.

Basically all laptops get warm or semi hot to the touch on bottom due to
battery charging and CPU heatsink. I doubt the heat you felt did your laptop
in so fast after you received it unless you was using it on a bed and had
the air vents restricted or something.

First thing I would have done is contact the Ebay seller and explain the
situation. Chances are your laptop had intermittent problems and the seller
outright knew it. For a laptop to work properly for only 30 minutes after
receiving it is unacceptable... even via Ebay, but explaining you tried to
fix it yourself probably wouldn't "fly" with the seller.

Try reseating everything that connects to the motherboard... CPU, memory,
hard drive, various ribbon connectors, etc. Something may have become
dislodged during shipping. Also try resetting it if you can find an external
reset button or motherboard reset jumper.