6600 agp or 9800 pro?

Anthony

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

My video card is about to die I have a feeling so in a week I will need a
new video card. Which should I go for the 6600 or the 9800 pro? Going by
price and bang for the buc k seems the 9800 pro is the best deal for needing
a card ASAP but the 6600 agp that came out a week ago is starting to drop in
price so I dunno anyone got any ideas on the price of the 6600 next week?

Anthony

SP

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

from what i've read on it the 6600 is more powerful than the 9800 pro. the
9800 pro is a good card and can just about beat my 5900xt with ease. and the
6600 can beat mine in everything.

so go for a 6600agp or if u can afford it a 6800 standard or GT

sp

"Anthony" <aevansjr3@cox.net> wrote in message
> My video card is about to die I have a feeling so in a week I will need a
> new video card. Which should I go for the 6600 or the 9800 pro? Going by
> price and bang for the buc k seems the 9800 pro is the best deal for
> needing a card ASAP but the 6600 agp that came out a week ago is starting
> to drop in price so I dunno anyone got any ideas on the price of the 6600
> next week?
>
> Anthony

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

On 11/22/2004 8:22 AM Anthony brightened our day with:

>My video card is about to die I have a feeling so in a week I will need a
>new video card. Which should I go for the 6600 or the 9800 pro? Going by
>price and bang for the buc k seems the 9800 pro is the best deal for needing
>a card ASAP but the 6600 agp that came out a week ago is starting to drop in
>price so I dunno anyone got any ideas on the price of the 6600 next week?
>
>Anthony

I have a 9800 Pro and would almost consider buying a 6600 GT AGP as an
upgrade. But not quite. If I could get someone to buy mine for $150
I'd buy a 6600 GT.

--
Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
www.inglostadt.com

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

In article <Hmood.1724$3I.1088@okepread01>, Anthony says...
> My video card is about to die I have a feeling so in a week I will need a
> new video card. Which should I go for the 6600 or the 9800 pro? Going by
> price and bang for the buc k seems the 9800 pro is the best deal for needing
> a card ASAP but the 6600 agp that came out a week ago is starting to drop in
> price so I dunno anyone got any ideas on the price of the 6600 next week?

6600GT beats 9800 Pro.

--
Conor

Normality will be restored once we work out what normality actually is.

Anthony

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Yeah beazts but price wise the 9800 pro is a better value. And u can get a
9800 pro on line for 135 bucks

Anthony

"Conor" <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote in message
> In article <Hmood.1724$3I.1088@okepread01>, Anthony says...
>> My video card is about to die I have a feeling so in a week I will need a
>> new video card. Which should I go for the 6600 or the 9800 pro? Going by
>> price and bang for the buc k seems the 9800 pro is the best deal for
>> needing
>> a card ASAP but the 6600 agp that came out a week ago is starting to drop
>> in
>> price so I dunno anyone got any ideas on the price of the 6600 next week?
>>
> 6600GT beats 9800 Pro.
>
> --
> Conor
>
> Normality will be restored once we work out what normality actually is.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

This really depends on what CPU you have in your PC? If your CPU is a
bottleneck then you are wasting your money getting a faster card unless you
plan to upgrade the rest of your PC.

"Anthony" <aevansjr3@cox.net> wrote in message
> My video card is about to die I have a feeling so in a week I will need a
> new video card. Which should I go for the 6600 or the 9800 pro? Going by
> price and bang for the buc k seems the 9800 pro is the best deal for
> needing a card ASAP but the 6600 agp that came out a week ago is starting
> to drop in price so I dunno anyone got any ideas on the price of the 6600
> next week?
>
> Anthony

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

On 11/22/2004 11:28 AM Anthony brightened our day with:

>http://www.gameve.com/gve/Store/ProductDetails.aspx?sku=VC-POWERC-029
>
>195.00 cheaper then the 6600 agp right now but still gonna wait a week and a
>half and see what happens in the video card market.

Here's the 660 GT for $225. I think it's worth the extra $30.

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=14-150-080&depa=1

Wait until the Xmas and after Xmas sales start.

--
Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
www.inglostadt.com

>I have a 9800 Pro and would almost consider buying a 6600 GT AGP as an
>upgrade. But not quite. If I could get someone to buy mine for $150
>I'd buy a 6600 GT.

Even though from what I have seen in reviews for the 6600GT it is a fast card
for the money. I don't think it would be a good upgrade from a 9800 Pro. Maybe
if you could sell the card you have now like you posted it might be worth the
slightly better performance though

Anthony

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

my CPU is an AMD 64 3000+

> This really depends on what CPU you have in your PC? If your CPU is a
> bottleneck then you are wasting your money getting a faster card unless
> you plan to upgrade the rest of your PC.
>
> "Anthony" <aevansjr3@cox.net> wrote in message
>> My video card is about to die I have a feeling so in a week I will need a
>> new video card. Which should I go for the 6600 or the 9800 pro? Going by
>> price and bang for the buc k seems the 9800 pro is the best deal for
>> needing a card ASAP but the 6600 agp that came out a week ago is starting
>> to drop in price so I dunno anyone got any ideas on the price of the 6600
>> next week?
>>
>> Anthony

Your kidding, a GT is 60-70% or more faster than a 9800Pro, I was lucky, my
9800Pro died and I got a refund and purchased a 6800 plain and this one is
40-50% faster.

"PRIVATE1964" <private1964@aol.com> wrote in message
> >I have a 9800 Pro and would almost consider buying a 6600 GT AGP as an
>>upgrade. But not quite. If I could get someone to buy mine for $150
>>I'd buy a 6600 GT.
>>

> Even though from what I have seen in reviews for the 6600GT it is a fast
> card
> for the money. I don't think it would be a good upgrade from a 9800 Pro.
> Maybe
> if you could sell the card you have now like you posted it might be worth
> the
> slightly better performance though

On 11/22/2004 10:59 PM Pete D brightened our day with:

>Your kidding, a GT is 60-70% or more faster than a 9800Pro, I was lucky, my
>9800Pro died and I got a refund and purchased a 6800 plain and this one is
>40-50% faster.

We're talking about the 6600GT no the 6800GT.

--
Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
www.inglostadt.com

>Your kidding, a GT is 60-70% or more faster than a 9800Pro, I was lucky, my
>9800Pro died and I got a refund and purchased a 6800 plain and this one is
>40-50% faster.

I wouldn't say that much faster. If you look at the reviews. It seems to be
around as fast as a 9800XT. Not sure how noticable it would be for someone that
already has a 9800pro. If you already have a 9800Pro I say hold on to it unless
it dies, or you can sell it for enough to purchase a 6600GT.

"LymanAlpha" <ioo@??.¿¿¿> wrote in message
> On 11/22/2004 10:59 PM Pete D brightened our day with:
>
>>Your kidding, a GT is 60-70% or more faster than a 9800Pro, I was lucky,
>>my 9800Pro died and I got a refund and purchased a 6800 plain and this one
>>is 40-50% faster.
>>

> We're talking about the 6600GT no the 6800GT.

Sorry you are right, my bad. However, find the dough and get the 6800.

>Sorry you are right, my bad. However, find the dough and get the 6800.

Why? A small performance increase for double the cost.

On 11/23/2004 2:22 PM PRIVATE1964 brightened our day with:

>>Sorry you are right, my bad. However, find the dough and get the 6800.
>>

>Why? A small performance increase for double the cost.

A 6800 non GT only costs about $50 more than a 6600 GT. I've seen them
as low as $250.

--
Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
www.inglostadt.com

>A 6800 non GT only costs about $50 more than a 6600 GT. I've seen them
>as low as $250.

I was talking about the 6800GT because that's what he originally posted.

On 11/23/2004 8:35 PM PRIVATE1964 brightened our day with:

>>A 6800 non GT only costs about $50 more than a 6600 GT. I've seen them
>>as low as $250.
>>

>I was talking about the 6800GT because that's what he originally posted.

All these numbers and letters are making me itch.

--
Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
www.inglostadt.com

> On 11/23/2004 8:35 PM PRIVATE1964 brightened our day with:
>
>>>A 6800 non GT only costs about $50 more than a 6600 GT. I've seen them
>>>as low as $250.
>>>

>>I was talking about the 6800GT because that's what he originally posted.
>>
> All these numbers and letters are making me itch.

The non GT is a better choice than the GT and for most games is as good or
not that far off according to Toms Hardware. I play Doom3 at high settings
and 1024x768 and the timedemo test runs at 59.6fps without AA, with it on
the fps drops a lot but I can barely tell the visual difference, ie, AA is
very much over rated, in fast gameplay you don't look that closely.

>All these numbers and letters are making me itch.

lol

On 11/23/2004 9:29 PM Pete D brightened our day with:

>"LymanAlpha" <ioo@??.¿¿¿> wrote in message
>

>>On 11/23/2004 8:35 PM PRIVATE1964 brightened our day with:

>>>I was talking about the 6800GT because that's what he originally posted.
>>>

>>All these numbers and letters are making me itch.
>>

>The non GT is a better choice than the GT and for most games is as good or
>not that far off according to Toms Hardware. I play Doom3 at high settings
>and 1024x768 and the timedemo test runs at 59.6fps without AA, with it on
>the fps drops a lot but I can barely tell the visual difference, ie, AA is
>very much over rated, in fast gameplay you don't look that closely.

Yeah, a friend of mine bought a 6800 regular for $295 about 2 months
after I bought a 9800 Pro for $195. I wished I had waited a little bit.
I think you should be getting better results at 1024x768, or you should
crank up the resolution. You should also make sure you're running the
Doom 3 timedemo w/ VSync off to really gauge the performance
capabilities of your card.
I don't think AA is overrated, I find it essential (somewhat just
personal preference I guess) in a lot of games. But more and more of
todays' games are using other techniques (often right at shader level)
to remove the jagged edges from surfaces. The higher the res you play
at the less you notice too.

--
Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
www.inglostadt.com