Again: No POST!

(Posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus and
alt.comp.periphs,videocards.nvidia)

Hi,

I posted already about this problem, now I have some more information:

It seems to me that the combination of the following components does not work:

Motherboard ASUS A8V (AMD64, 3500+, FW 1009.002b)
Videocard Aopen Aeolus 6800 GT

When powering on there is no POST, nothing.
A Taiwanees women sais something like "SYSTEM FAILED VGAFAIL"

What I tried:
- Putting in a cheap VGA card instead: works!
- Trying a second Aopen Aelous 6800 GT card: no post
- Taking a second power supply and feeding the Aopen card seperately from that
second PSU: no post. (nice, a PC with 2X450W :))

Any ideas?

TIA

Bert

>- Taking a second power supply and feeding the Aopen card seperately from
>that
> second PSU: no post. (nice, a PC with 2X450W :))

Are you sure the card is getting power with the second supply? Do you realize
the PS will not turn on unless told to by the motherboard?

On 22 Nov 2004 22:57:25 GMT, private1964@aol.com (PRIVATE1964) wrote:

>Are you sure the card is getting power with the second supply? Do you realize
>the PS will not turn on unless told to by the motherboard?

I own a CM Stacker chassis by Coolermaster.
It can house two PSU's an they are coupled in such a way that they both
switch on/off simultaneously.
BTW, did you ever hear this type of VGA card when you forget to supply the card
with power?
Sounds like a fire alarm ;)

Bert

"Bert" <do@not.mail.because.this.adress.is.invalid> wrote in message

> (Posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus and
> alt.comp.periphs,videocards.nvidia)
>
> Hi,
>
> I posted already about this problem, now I have some more information:
>
> It seems to me that the combination of the following components does not
> work:
>
> Motherboard ASUS A8V (AMD64, 3500+, FW 1009.002b)
> Videocard Aopen Aeolus 6800 GT
>
> When powering on there is no POST, nothing.
> A Taiwanees women sais something like "SYSTEM FAILED VGAFAIL"
>
> What I tried:
> - Putting in a cheap VGA card instead: works!
> - Trying a second Aopen Aelous 6800 GT card: no post
> - Taking a second power supply and feeding the Aopen card seperately from
> that
> second PSU: no post. (nice, a PC with 2X450W :))
>

> Any ideas?

What is your AGP speed set at ( 8x I assume? ), and have you tried lowering
it? ( to 4x? ) I am not sure, but I think that bios 1009.002b ( which I
have ) may be overvolting/undervolting? the AGP slot at 8x - as my card
locks up the computer unless it is set to 4x. Of course it could be
something totally different, but I could boot but not run any high speed 3d
applications.

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 09:19:19 -0500, "John David Carter" <char3091@bellsouth.net>
wrote:

>What is your AGP speed set at ( 8x I assume? ), and have you tried lowering
>it? ( to 4x? ) I am not sure, but I think that bios 1009.002b ( which I
>have ) may be overvolting/undervolting? the AGP slot at 8x - as my card
>locks up the computer unless it is set to 4x. Of course it could be
>something totally different, but I could boot but not run any high speed 3d
>applications.

You know, I'm giving up. I haven't set any AGP speed at all, that is a bit
hard with a PC that does not POST.
I'm giving back those two (!) bloody expensive Aopen cards and will try my
luck with another 6800GT card, the Asus V9999.
Luckely I have a very friendly computer dealer ;)
BTW: Those Aeolus Aopen cards had the same effect in other PC's I tried today,
no post.
Two DOA cards? Here is a negative advise for future buyers...

Bert