NV Silencer 5 fan wrong way?

Name

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2003

I installed the NV Silencer 5 on my BFG 6800 GT and days later I noticed
that the fan spins the wrong way. The air is forced back in the case,
rather than over the HS and out the back of the case. Anyone else have this
problem?

Name wrote:
> I installed the NV Silencer 5 on my BFG 6800 GT and days later I noticed
> that the fan spins the wrong way. The air is forced back in the case,
> rather than over the HS and out the back of the case. Anyone else have this
> problem?

Try reversing the power connector.

chip

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001

"Name" <name@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I installed the NV Silencer 5 on my BFG 6800 GT and days later I noticed
> that the fan spins the wrong way. The air is forced back in the case,
> rather than over the HS and out the back of the case. Anyone else have
> this
> problem?

Everyone has this "problem", since (very very odd, I know, but) that's the
way its supposed to work.

I was *convinced* mine was spinning the wrong way and had a big argument
about in on another forum. It all got very heated with other people telling
me it was supposed to be like that and me not believing a word of it.

In the end I took the Silencer off and switched the fan connector around,
and you know what? It doesn't spin at all if you connect it the wrong way
around. There is a diode in there somewhere preventing it from spinning if
you connect it the wrong way.

So the bottom line is, if it spins, then its correct.

Chip

chip

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001

"Sharanga Dayananda" <sharanga@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Name wrote:
>> I installed the NV Silencer 5 on my BFG 6800 GT and days later I noticed
>> that the fan spins the wrong way. The air is forced back in the case,
>> rather than over the HS and out the back of the case. Anyone else have
>> this
>> problem?
>>

> Try reversing the power connector.

See my other post.

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

"Chip" <anneonymouse@virgin.net> wrote in message
> "Name" <name@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I installed the NV Silencer 5 on my BFG 6800 GT and days later I noticed
>> that the fan spins the wrong way. The air is forced back in the case,
>> rather than over the HS and out the back of the case. Anyone else have
>> this
>> problem?
>>

> Everyone has this "problem", since (very very odd, I know, but) that's the
> way its supposed to work.
>
> I was *convinced* mine was spinning the wrong way and had a big argument
> about in on another forum. It all got very heated with other people
> telling me it was supposed to be like that and me not believing a word of
> it.
>
> In the end I took the Silencer off and switched the fan connector around,
> and you know what? It doesn't spin at all if you connect it the wrong way
> around. There is a diode in there somewhere preventing it from spinning
> if you connect it the wrong way.
>
> So the bottom line is, if it spins, then its correct.
>
> Chip

It will be just as effective either way. Air flow is air flow, whichever
way it flows.

John

John wrote:
> "Chip" <anneonymouse@virgin.net> wrote in message
>> "Name" <name@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>>> I installed the NV Silencer 5 on my BFG 6800 GT and days later I
>>> noticed that the fan spins the wrong way. The air is forced back
>>> in the case, rather than over the HS and out the back of the case.
>>> Anyone else have this
>>> problem?
>>
>> Everyone has this "problem", since (very very odd, I know, but)
>> that's the way its supposed to work.
>>
>> I was *convinced* mine was spinning the wrong way and had a big
>> argument about in on another forum. It all got very heated with
>> other people telling me it was supposed to be like that and me not
>> believing a word of it.
>>
>> In the end I took the Silencer off and switched the fan connector
>> around, and you know what? It doesn't spin at all if you connect it
>> the wrong way around. There is a diode in there somewhere
>> preventing it from spinning if you connect it the wrong way.
>>
>> So the bottom line is, if it spins, then its correct.
>
> It will be just as effective either way. Air flow is air flow,
> whichever way it flows.

I don't know about that. If the fan pulls or pushes warm air over a device
in rotating one way and and moves cooler air with the opposite rotation I
would think the latter would be better.

--
dvus

Chip wrote:

> "Sharanga Dayananda" <sharanga@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>Name wrote:
>>
>>>I installed the NV Silencer 5 on my BFG 6800 GT and days later I noticed
>>>that the fan spins the wrong way. The air is forced back in the case,
>>>rather than over the HS and out the back of the case. Anyone else have
>>>this
>>>problem?
>>>

>>Try reversing the power connector.
>

> See my other post.

I stand corrected.

chip

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001

"John" <4746756756765@mail2me.com> wrote in message

> "Chip" <anneonymouse@virgin.net> wrote in message
>> "Name" <name@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>I installed the NV Silencer 5 on my BFG 6800 GT and days later I noticed
>>> that the fan spins the wrong way. The air is forced back in the case,
>>> rather than over the HS and out the back of the case. Anyone else have
>>> this
>>> problem?
>>>

>> Everyone has this "problem", since (very very odd, I know, but) that's
>> the way its supposed to work.
>>
>> I was *convinced* mine was spinning the wrong way and had a big argument
>> about in on another forum. It all got very heated with other people
>> telling me it was supposed to be like that and me not believing a word of
>> it.
>>
>> In the end I took the Silencer off and switched the fan connector around,
>> and you know what? It doesn't spin at all if you connect it the wrong
>> way around. There is a diode in there somewhere preventing it from
>> spinning if you connect it the wrong way.
>>
>> So the bottom line is, if it spins, then its correct.
>>
>> Chip
>
> It will be just as effective either way. Air flow is air flow, whichever
> way it flows.

John, this is incorrect. With a CPU heatsink fan you can mount it blowing
upwards or turn it over and have it blowing downwards. But in both cases
the fan spins in the same direction. All you are doing is turning the fan
upside down.

The VGA Silencer is different. The only way to change the direction of the
airflow would be to make the fan blades spin in the opposite direction. Its
just not designed to do that and it would probably sound terrible and
perhaps even break.

This is perhaps why Artic Cooling have fitted a diode to prevent you from
doing this: It will only spin in one direction, no matter what you do. So
all this debate is academic anyway.

Chip

"Chip" <anneonymouse@virgin.net> wrote
> In the end I took the Silencer off and switched the fan connector around,
> and you know what? It doesn't spin at all if you connect it the wrong way
> around. There is a diode in there somewhere preventing it from spinning
> if you connect it the wrong way.
>
> So the bottom line is, if it spins, then its correct.

Could be mismanufactured.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

"dvus" <dven1invalid@adelphia.net> wrote
> I don't know about that. If the fan pulls or pushes warm air over a device
> in rotating one way and and moves cooler air with the opposite rotation I
> would think the latter would be better.

I think the point is to get the hot air out of the pc.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

"Ed Light" <nobody@nobody.there> wrote
> Could be mismanufactured.
Have you checked with tech support?

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

Ed Light wrote:

> "dvus" <dven1invalid@adelphia.net> wrote
>> I don't know about that. If the fan pulls or pushes warm air over a
>> device in rotating one way and and moves cooler air with the opposite
>> rotation I would think the latter would be better.
>
> I think the point is to get the hot air out of the pc.

That's odd, I was under the impression that the purpose of a video-board
cooler was to cool the video board. And it seems to me that drawing cool
outside air over the heat sink will do that better than blowing warm air
from inside the case across it.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

"J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote
>> I think the point is to get the hot air out of the pc.
>
> That's odd, I was under the impression that the purpose of a video-board
> cooler was to cool the video board. And it seems to me that drawing cool
> outside air over the heat sink will do that better than blowing warm air
> from inside the case across it.

I think you're right.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

"Ed Light" <nobody@nobody.there> wrote in message

> "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote
>>> I think the point is to get the hot air out of the pc.
>>
>> That's odd, I was under the impression that the purpose of a video-board
>> cooler was to cool the video board. And it seems to me that drawing cool
>> outside air over the heat sink will do that better than blowing warm air
>> from inside the case across it.
>
> I think you're right.

Although heating the inside up more does shorten components lives and limit
you if you're overclocking, or could put a non-overclocked cpu into
instability if it has a very common heatsink.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

chip

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001

> "Ed Light" <nobody@nobody.there> wrote in message
>> In this review of the nv5 it was exhausting air out the back. Yours must
>> be faulty.

Ed, trust me on this one. Its *not* faulty. I spent days trying to sort
this out and ended up making a right fool of myself because I was
*insisting* that my VGA Silencer is faulty, when in fact it isn't.

The amount of air the VGA Silencer (NV5 version) blows out of the back is
very small and yet it produces a lot of turbulence inside the case that
makes it seem like air is blowing inside.

When you examine the VGA Silencer fan, it becomes obvious when you think
about it that it can only spin one way around.

BTW, I did check all this out with Artic Cooling. I even have photos
showing how its supposed to work. Its very confusing because it really does
*seem* like the air is being vented inside the case. But really it isn't.
The problem is that the airflow going out is so small that its easy to miss
it. And if you have more case exhaust fans than intake fans, you might not
feel any air going out at all.

Chip

Ed Light wrote:

> "Ed Light" <nobody@nobody.there> wrote in message
>>
>> "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote
>>>
>>> That's odd, I was under the impression that the purpose of a video-board
>>> cooler was to cool the video board. And it seems to me that drawing
>>> cool outside air over the heat sink will do that better than blowing
>>> warm air from inside the case across it.
>>
>> I think you're right.
>
> Although heating the inside up more does shorten components lives and
> limit you if you're overclocking, or could put a non-overclocked cpu into
> instability if it has a very common heatsink.

This is to some extent true, however if your cooling is that marginal the
solution is to fix your cooling. The outside air coming in that has been
warmed by the video board would still be cooler than inside air that had
been passed over that same cooler, so there'll still be a reduction in
temperature over a conventional cooler.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Name

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2003

Chip - I think I agree with you. I guess I just expected there to be more
air vented out the back - like there was on the old ATI model.

> "Ed Light" <nobody@nobody.there> wrote in message
> >
> > "Ed Light" <nobody@nobody.there> wrote in message
> >> In this review of the nv5 it was exhausting air out the back. Yours
must
> >> be faulty.
>
> Ed, trust me on this one. Its *not* faulty. I spent days trying to sort
> this out and ended up making a right fool of myself because I was
> *insisting* that my VGA Silencer is faulty, when in fact it isn't.
>
> The amount of air the VGA Silencer (NV5 version) blows out of the back is
> very small and yet it produces a lot of turbulence inside the case that
> makes it seem like air is blowing inside.
>
> When you examine the VGA Silencer fan, it becomes obvious when you think
> about it that it can only spin one way around.
>
> BTW, I did check all this out with Artic Cooling. I even have photos
> showing how its supposed to work. Its very confusing because it really
does
> *seem* like the air is being vented inside the case. But really it isn't.
> The problem is that the airflow going out is so small that its easy to
miss
> it. And if you have more case exhaust fans than intake fans, you might
not
> feel any air going out at all.
>
> Chip

This is quite educational, since I'll be getting one for 6600GT AGP someday,
probably.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

Mike

Splendid

>"Ed Light" <nobody@nobody.there> wrote in message
>>
>> "Ed Light" <nobody@nobody.there> wrote in message
>>> In this review of the nv5 it was exhausting air out the back. Yours must
>>> be faulty.
>
>Ed, trust me on this one. Its *not* faulty. I spent days trying to sort
>this out and ended up making a right fool of myself because I was
>*insisting* that my VGA Silencer is faulty, when in fact it isn't.
>
>The amount of air the VGA Silencer (NV5 version) blows out of the back is
>very small and yet it produces a lot of turbulence inside the case that
>makes it seem like air is blowing inside.
>
>When you examine the VGA Silencer fan, it becomes obvious when you think
>about it that it can only spin one way around.
>
>BTW, I did check all this out with Artic Cooling. I even have photos
>showing how its supposed to work. Its very confusing because it really does
>*seem* like the air is being vented inside the case. But really it isn't.
>The problem is that the airflow going out is so small that its easy to miss
>it. And if you have more case exhaust fans than intake fans, you might not
>feel any air going out at all.
>
>Chip

I've been following thread due to the fact I also use the Artic Cooler on my
6800GT, I used to use one on my 9800 Pro where IMO the cooler seemed a little
better than the NV5 version, but that's probably because of the different
chipset etc.
I only fitted my NV5 a few days ago having purchased the 6800GT last week,
because the one on the 9800 Pro worked so well especially with regard to
dropping noise levels it was really a must have when I changed cards.
It dropped my core temperature from around the 50c mark down to 47c at idle, not
a big drop, but any reduction is welcome, and noise levels are certainly a lot
less than the original cooler.
My system is fairly quiet, I have plenty of fans, 2x80mm blowing in at the
front, 2x80mm drawing out at the rear, and 1 80mm blowing in at the side,
besides the Enermax P/supply doing its job, all the 80mm fans have been slowed
down using resistors... I hate a noisy system!

I do notice because the Artic Cooler is plugged into the default card power
socket that the slight 'PWM' speed control pulses are just audible in the form
of a very slight ticking.. this is typical with electronic speed controls and is
not a fault in any way, but a little annoying just the same. That's one of the
reasons I stopped using a Vantec fan speed controller because of the slight
ticking noise which was induced into the fans. I had been considering powering
the Artic Cooler fan from the main 12v connector and slowing it down slightly,
but as the ticking is only barely noticeable I'm probably being rather fussy.
:)))

I can feel air coming out the rear of the Artic Cooler so it is extracting warm
air out the back. What I find strange is... on looking at the picture on the
Artic Cooler website which shows the fan rotational direction etc. is that one
would have expected the blades on the fan to have been the opposite way round to
get maximum airflow... very weird. They are the designers and should know best.

One thing is certain you cannot change the direction of a PC by reversing the
power feed wires. All PC fans are electronic induction pulse motors, ie. they
have no brushes... so its not possible to reverse them, and because you cant
turn the Artic Cooler fan over... as one other poster put it the whole subject
is totally non relevant! :))

Mike

On