Stuck on "Freefall" mission

I'm on the mission where I need to catch up with the enemy gangster's
airplane... It seems that every time I spot the plane & turn around, my
Dodo can't fly fast enough to catch up.

Is there some trick to this mission that I'm missing...?

Erik Seligman, eseligma@aracnet.com / eseligma@ichips.intel.com
Speaking for myself, not Intel or Aracnet.

Fly at a level a little higher than the Shamal (by the little yellow
blip should be about a downward triangle). You lose speed when you are
climbing so make sure you don't need to climb when you chase it.

Use only Rudder turn. Don't use bank turn (that works for me at least).
Using rudder turn doesn't make u lose altitude. Try to note the time u
saw the Shamal in your fail trial, then in subsequent run (and if u do
everything similarly), be on guard and make a rudder U-turn as soon as
you see it. Increase the draw distance a notch if it helps u to spot
the Shamal earlier (I didn't, and my reflex is enough for me to make
the rudder turn in time).

If you're on a PC, the standard response to this is "Turn down the draw
distance, and turn off the frame limiter". If the PC can't keep the
frame rate nice and high, it doesn't calculate the acceleration
accurately and you don't go as fast as you should. I did this mission
first time last night, but I did start turning quite early. Try flying
not-quite-straight-on to the target, so that you can turn and be right
behind them rather than overshooting and having to turn back in
straight. Also if you're above them, you might be able to gain a little
speed by losing altitude.

Phil Hibbs.

Shawn LeBron wrote:

> Fly at a level a little higher than the Shamal (by the little yellow
> blip should be about a downward triangle). You lose speed when you are
> climbing so make sure you don't need to climb when you chase it.
>
> Use only Rudder turn. Don't use bank turn (that works for me at least).
> Using rudder turn doesn't make u lose altitude. Try to note the time u
> saw the Shamal in your fail trial, then in subsequent run (and if u do
> everything similarly), be on guard and make a rudder U-turn as soon as
> you see it. Increase the draw distance a notch if it helps u to spot
> the Shamal earlier (I didn't, and my reflex is enough for me to make
> the rudder turn in time).

I caught it brilliantly last night. On ps2 the triangle becomes a
square when you're on a level so I made sure i stayed just above it's
height, then on passing no gas, just banked, then accelerated down and
into the halo right on the money and the quickest I've done it yet.

--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look

drbob

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2004

Erik Seligman wrote:
> I'm on the mission where I need to catch up with the enemy gangster's
> airplane... It seems that every time I spot the plane & turn around, my
> Dodo can't fly fast enough to catch up.
>
> Is there some trick to this mission that I'm missing...?

The only way I've managed to complete this mission s by flying as high
as possible and diving into the target. If you find yourself below the
jet once it has gone past you, you may as well reload an restart rather
than waste your time as the prop plan you're in simply cannot catch up.
Start turning as soon as you see the jet appear on the radar.

When you're well practised with controlling the planes, doing a tight
turn combining both the rudder and banking is possible without losing
too much height. I normally use first person view in the plane as it
prevents me from getting disoriented by the moving camera, but on this
mission I found the bigger field of view afforded by the 3rd person
camera to be a better choice in the end. If you lose control or find
your self disoriented/searching around for the target jet at any time
during this mission, you need to restart - it requires almost perfect
execution.

--
drbob

OE Users - check this out!

adcb wrote:

> Stand at the end of a runway with a heat seeking RPG, aim, lock, fire,
> job done
>
> think i know what my choice would be.

and recalling GTAIII that's probably why they didn't as it's kind of
been done already
--

In article <42EA5185.D9422E9C@blueyonder.co.uk>, Paul Heslop wrote:
> mmaker@my-deja.com wrote:
>>
>> Erik Seligman wrote:
>> > I'm on the mission where I need to catch up with the enemy gangster's
>> > airplane... It seems that every time I spot the plane & turn around, my
>> > Dodo can't fly fast enough to catch up.
>>
>> After four or five tries I just edited the config file to make the
>> plane fly faster.

Can you post some details on how to do this? Thanks!

mmaker@my-deja.com wrote:

> And disabling the mouse for shooting on-board the plane is seriously
> retarded. I never found the right control to move the gun sight up and
> down, I had to stand there getting shot until they moved into the
> sights so I could kill them. Real good game design.

Huh? Mouse aiming worked fine for me on this mission....

--
drbob

OE Users - check this out!

In article <slrndel1h4.431.eseligma@onyx.spiritone.com>,
eseligma@aracnet.com says...
> In article <42EA5185.D9422E9C@blueyonder.co.uk>, Paul Heslop wrote:
> > mmaker@my-deja.com wrote:

> >> After four or five tries I just edited the config file to make the
> >> plane fly faster.
> >>

> Can you post some details on how to do this? Thanks!

data\handling.cfg

The comments say Velocity is column N which is odd since mine has the
Dodo and Shamal as 200. Maybe tweeking down the drag (column D) would
do the dodo good.

Normal disclaimers and warnings apply.... make a backup, I take no
responibility, yadda^3

bryan wrote:
> i've posted previously that rockstar have made most of the missions too
> linear... you have to do it their way or you don't pass. it's like
> interacting in a cut scene at times.

Yeah, I hate that. They give you the impression of an open-ended world,
but half the missions absolutely force you into playing in one specific
manner because they'd be too easy if you were allowed to play them your
own way.

Mark

In article <MPG.1d55f81cd39187e5989697@unlimited.newshosting.com>, dortware wrote:

>> Can you post some details on how to do this? Thanks!
>
> data\handling.cfg
>
> The comments say Velocity is column N which is odd since mine has the
> Dodo and Shamal as 200. Maybe tweeking down the drag (column D) would
> do the dodo good.

Yup, reducing the drag works great. Thanks!

Erik Seligman, eseligma@aracnet.com / eseligma@ichips.intel.com
Speaking for myself, not Intel or Aracnet.

If you wanna gave a good laugh in GT4, and like me you're tired of
diving your assorted group of 950+ Skylines, max out an M5 (goes to
+750 IIRC).

You'll have an extreme Skyline killer on your hands and it's also by
far the most aggressive-sounding car in the entire game. The thing
fairly screams at high revs (always have to turn the sound down a bit
for fear for my speakers).
=)

This is the car to do the 'Ring in, although the R34 Type M also
acquits itself rather well (but cheats by being 4WD).

You can easily blow past pretty much anything on most tracks. I can
manage to 'lap' the competition in three laps on most circuits. Murder
on the rear tires though. But then they don't make you pay for those
(yet).

Class 1 wrote:

> If you wanna gave a good laugh in GT4, and like me you're tired of
> diving your assorted group of 950+ Skylines, max out an M5 (goes to
> +750 IIRC).
>
> You'll have an extreme Skyline killer on your hands and it's also by
> far the most aggressive-sounding car in the entire game. The thing
> fairly screams at high revs (always have to turn the sound down a bit
> for fear for my speakers).
> =)
>
> This is the car to do the 'Ring in, although the R34 Type M also
> acquits itself rather well (but cheats by being 4WD).
>
> You can easily blow past pretty much anything on most tracks. I can
> manage to 'lap' the competition in three laps on most circuits. Murder
> on the rear tires though. But then they don't make you pay for those
> (yet).

sounds like fun... M5? for some reason I keep picturing a little Miata
:O)
--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

Maybe the mafia guy doesn't want them to be killed in SA, it has to be
done before they get there.

Phil Hibbs.

On 1 Aug 2005 06:55:12 -0700, "Class 1" <Class1@fastmail.fm> wrote:

>If you wanna gave a good laugh in GT4, and like me you're tired of
>diving your assorted group of 950+ Skylines, max out an M5 (goes to
>+750 IIRC).
>
>You'll have an extreme Skyline killer on your hands and it's also by
>far the most aggressive-sounding car in the entire game. The thing
>fairly screams at high revs (always have to turn the sound down a bit
>for fear for my speakers).
>=)
>
>This is the car to do the 'Ring in, although the R34 Type M also
>acquits itself rather well (but cheats by being 4WD).
>
>You can easily blow past pretty much anything on most tracks. I can
>manage to 'lap' the competition in three laps on most circuits. Murder
>on the rear tires though. But then they don't make you pay for those
>(yet).

Yeh i can see that working, but i am a bit of a fan of the muscle type
cars, esp the dodge viper. there is nothing quite as fun as the ring
in a car that is basically a rollerskate with a maxed out truck
engine, and no traction control.

What i did end up with more of than skylines were ford gt40's i got
loads of them as prizes and i think they are all pretty rubbish, aside
from the original one, that is fun to drive.

On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 17:40:34 GMT, Paul Heslop
<paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>Class 1 wrote:
>>
>> If you wanna gave a good laugh in GT4, and like me you're tired of
>> diving your assorted group of 950+ Skylines, max out an M5 (goes to
>> +750 IIRC).
>>
>> You'll have an extreme Skyline killer on your hands and it's also by
>> far the most aggressive-sounding car in the entire game. The thing
>> fairly screams at high revs (always have to turn the sound down a bit
>> for fear for my speakers).
>> =)
>>
>> This is the car to do the 'Ring in, although the R34 Type M also
>> acquits itself rather well (but cheats by being 4WD).
>>
>> You can easily blow past pretty much anything on most tracks. I can
>> manage to 'lap' the competition in three laps on most circuits. Murder
>> on the rear tires though. But then they don't make you pay for those
>> (yet).
>
>sounds like fun... M5? for some reason I keep picturing a little Miata
>:O)

haha, dont think that will unnerve most people sat on the start line,
they would just mock you for bringing a hairdressers car.

adcb wrote:

> On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 17:40:34 GMT, Paul Heslop
> <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >Class 1 wrote:
> >>
> >> If you wanna gave a good laugh in GT4, and like me you're tired of
> >> diving your assorted group of 950+ Skylines, max out an M5 (goes to
> >> +750 IIRC).
> >>
> >> You'll have an extreme Skyline killer on your hands and it's also by
> >> far the most aggressive-sounding car in the entire game. The thing
> >> fairly screams at high revs (always have to turn the sound down a bit
> >> for fear for my speakers).
> >> =)
> >>
> >> This is the car to do the 'Ring in, although the R34 Type M also
> >> acquits itself rather well (but cheats by being 4WD).
> >>
> >> You can easily blow past pretty much anything on most tracks. I can
> >> manage to 'lap' the competition in three laps on most circuits. Murder
> >> on the rear tires though. But then they don't make you pay for those
> >> (yet).
> >
> >sounds like fun... M5? for some reason I keep picturing a little Miata
> >:O)
>
> haha, dont think that will unnerve most people sat on the start line,
> they would just mock you for bringing a hairdressers car.

:O) I just woke up... er... BMW?