HTPC Mod Looks Like Giant iPhone, Plays Crysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

HDmac

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2008
HTPC Mod Looks Like Giant iPhone, Plays Crysis
Here's the ideal custom HTPC for Apple fans.
See here's the thing there is a paradox in the fist two sentences. I will now point out the key words in the phrase.

Plays Crysis......for Apple fans
Paradox much?

G

>Crysis
>Ion

So it plays Crysis at .5 fps? I think the author means that it can play Crysis if you connect a PS3 as mentioned in the article in which case any monitor can play crysis (if you connect a desktop to it of course). I call false advertising.

? Why not use a mini-itx Llano? Llano is at least better than the ION, computing/APU/All around. I mean maybe except the TDP, but even still Llano is a pretty ideal HTPC chip for now-a-days. Also... What OS is it running? It seems like the PSP/PS3 Linux OS.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
But can it play 3D Gay Villa?

Somethings I do find interesting about this project is that he would use such low end hardware on such a expensive project to begin with. I don't quite understand the logic behind that.

Further more get actually admits to breaking the terms of agreement of OSX as it does clearly state that its meant for Apple products and anything else is in violation. Apple could likely sue him for "damages".
Not that I support Apple in such.

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
Fugly.

Seriously, out of the options he had, he chose the fricken iPhone. Dude... Seriously. Go for a sci-fi case or something. Let creativity flow, don't just copy a bullshit design.

deadgargamel

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
This is a terrible product all around, on top of being absolutely ugly. Seriously, who games or watches movies on a flat (parallel to the ground) screen? You'd have to be sitting on the ceiling...
And if the 40" panel isn't meant as the primary display, then why even have HDMI inputs (multiple ones at that!)? You mean you're gonna drop 2000$+ in a HTPC and not even hook it up with an audio-video receiver?
Unless I'm missing something, the concept of an HTPC is to have a PC that outputs video and sound to a receiver, which has speakers connected to it. You know, the Home Theatre part of the HTPC?

Also, the specs are terrible. You have pretty much all the room in the world under that TV and all you manage to fit in is an ION processor? I have an HTPC the size of 2 DVD cases and it sports the exact same specs. Without all the BS that is...

Complet, utter fail.

at first from the article I thought they took an iPad, gutted it, and hooked up an ion proc to the base and just used the screen. Then when I went to the website I noticed rather quickly that this thing is massive! That is a big screen TV, with a tiny little ion proc inside the screen housing, while the base of it is just a big empty cabinet! Crazy!
1) there is enough space in the screen housing to hold a tricked out i7 system, so why go though all the effort for a little ion?
2) the screen does pop up to make it a useful TV... but when you do then you cannot get into the cabinet below! epic fail.
3) as noted by deadgargamel, why spend that much and not attach it to a decent sound system? People just don't realize that audio is 9/10ths of video.
4) My bet is that they went though more effort getting OSx running smoothly on an ION based proc than it took to get the whole thing put together in the first place. Would have been easier to put some sort of minWin or Linux and dress it up as OSx.
5) Really... couldn't think of anything prettier? The case of iProducts are not that great looking, it's all about the screens they use that gives all the wow and flutter. Centering on the housing and putting crap hardware inside is just wrong no matter what side of the mac fan/hater fence you ride on.

liveonc

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2008
It's like saying MacAir with thunderbolt using an external thunderbolt GPU running Windows plays Crysis, poorly... (but somebody wanted to try) ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.