Best Value GeForce 4 Card?

The fan of my video card is making a lot of noise lately.
It's a GeForce 3 card I bought in August 2001 for $329. :^)
So, it's about time...

What is the best value GeForce 4 card as of today? I did
some google search. The 5900XT seems to get quite a few
recommendations. The price is around $180 per newegg.com.

Mostly, I do OpenGL programming, plus some Maya and some
Photoshop 2D stuff. My machine is a P4 2.4GHz with 512MB memory.

Thanks.
15 answers Last reply
More about best geforce card

    "kilo effects" <kilo_effects@yahoo.com> wrote
    > What is the best value GeForce 4 card as of today? I did
    > some google search. The 5900XT seems to get quite a few
    > recommendations. The price is around $180 per newegg.com.
    I'd wait a couple of months and get a 6600GT AGP. Right now it's $230, but
    it just came out. It has rendered all the $200 range cards obsolete (watch
    the Radeon guys jump in -- ok, ok, guys!)....

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at
    uce@ftc.gov
    Thanks, robots.

    kilo effects wrote:

    > The fan of my video card is making a lot of noise lately.
    > It's a GeForce 3 card I bought in August 2001 for $329. :^)
    > So, it's about time...
    >
    > What is the best value GeForce 4 card as of today? I did
    > some google search. The 5900XT seems to get quite a few
    > recommendations. The price is around $180 per newegg.com.
    >
    > Mostly, I do OpenGL programming, plus some Maya and some
    > Photoshop 2D stuff. My machine is a P4 2.4GHz with 512MB memory.

    If you want a Geforce _4_ go with a Ti4200. The 5900XT is Geforce _5_ and
    the 6600 is Geforce _6_.

    If you do Maya then get one off the supported hardware list for Maya--that's
    too expensive a piece of software to dink around with.

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    Ed Light wrote:

    > "kilo effects" <kilo_effects@yahoo.com> wrote
    >> What is the best value GeForce 4 card as of today? I did
    >> some google search. The 5900XT seems to get quite a few
    >> recommendations. The price is around $180 per newegg.com.
    > I'd wait a couple of months and get a 6600GT AGP. Right now it's $230, but
    > it just came out. It has rendered all the $200 range cards obsolete (watch
    > the Radeon guys jump in -- ok, ok, guys!)....

    Actually, given that he's an OpenGL programmer, maybe a Radeon would be a
    good idea. ATI's OpenGL implementation has historically been pretty poor,
    so if his code will run on an ATI it will probably run on anything.

    --

    "Ed Light" <nobody@nobody.there> wrote in message

    > I'd wait a couple of months and get a 6600GT AGP. Right now it's $230, but
    > it just came out. It has rendered all the $200 range cards obsolete (watch
    > the Radeon guys jump in -- ok, ok, guys!)....

    I've been a Radeon user for years and I completely agree with you. In fact
    I'm buying one myself, I'm just waiting for a more familiar brand. I know
    nothing about XFX or Albatron (which are the only two brands available right
    now), is either any good?

    Thanks, folks. So 6600GT AGP is the one to wait. I've got
    plenty of time (I am using the brand new GeForce 2 MX card
    that came with the machine; it doesn't have a fan).

    BTW, I have another question. For video editing (like Adobe
    Premiere), what is the best value GeForce 4 card? Should I
    go for 256MB? Or the video memory is irrelevant here?

    <kilo_effects@yahoo.com> wrote
    > BTW, I have another question. For video editing (like Adobe
    > Premiere), what is the best value GeForce 4 card? Should I
    > go for 256MB? Or the video memory is irrelevant here?
    The 6600 GT has hardware video encode and decode. But hopefully it will work
    properly and the current or near-future drivers will support it.

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at
    uce@ftc.gov
    Thanks, robots.

    >I'm just waiting for a more familiar brand. I know
    >nothing about XFX or Albatron (which are the only two brands available right
    >now)

    From what I have read the Albatron has memory at 400, but if I'm not mistaken
    the default for a 6600GT is 450. So I don't get that, maybe the AGP version has
    lower clocked memory.

    I suggest waiting for a few more reviews before buying, the XFX seems to be
    getting good reviews though.

    <kilo_effects@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks, folks. So 6600GT AGP is the one to wait. I've got
    > plenty of time (I am using the brand new GeForce 2 MX card
    > that came with the machine; it doesn't have a fan).
    >
    > BTW, I have another question. For video editing (like Adobe
    > Premiere), what is the best value GeForce 4 card? Should I
    > go for 256MB? Or the video memory is irrelevant here?

    GeForce 4 cards are two generations behind the current ones available.
    Forget about GeForce 4's. GeForce 6 cards are out now, like the 6600, 6800,
    etc.

    256MB is about the norm these days. Some workstation type graphics cards
    have 512MB of ram on them.

    It's embarrassing. I thought the current crop was still GeForce 4.
    Thanks again, folks! I am on the waiting line for NV43.

    >"Ed Light" <nobody@nobody.there> wrote in message
    >>

    >> I'd wait a couple of months and get a 6600GT AGP. Right now it's $230, but
    >> it just came out. It has rendered all the $200 range cards obsolete (watch
    >> the Radeon guys jump in -- ok, ok, guys!)....
    >>

    >I've been a Radeon user for years and I completely agree with you. In fact
    >I'm buying one myself, I'm just waiting for a more familiar brand. I know
    >nothing about XFX or Albatron (which are the only two brands available right
    >now), is either any good?

    I'm using a XFX 6800GT with no probs at all. The company is American. The card
    is a standard reference design and appears well made. Like most stuff these
    days its made in China. Appears to have been awarded many mag best buy awards
    etc.
    http://www.xfxforce.co.uk/index.php

    I think as long as you go with a reference card design which most are anyway you
    wont go far wrong, there all basically the same, only differences with some
    cards appear to be with the on-board cooling. My advice is go with the
    cheapest card and put a Artic Cooler Silencer on it.... cheap and almost silent.

    Mike

    >GeForce 4 cards are two generations behind the current ones available.
    >Forget about GeForce 4's. GeForce 6 cards are out now, like the 6600, 6800,

    I agree spend the money on current hardware. You can so much more features by
    just spending a little bit more then a Geforce 4 would cost..
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    >I think as long as you go with a reference card design which most are anyway
    >you
    >wont go far wrong, there all basically the same, only differences with some
    >cards appear to be with the on-board cooling.

    I agree but you should also watch out for cards that use inferior electronic
    components. Some companies will follow the reference design, but if they use
    cheap capacitors, coils, resistors...the card won't last. They might also have
    less visual quality using cheaper components.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    J. Clarke wrote:

    > For video editing as long as you have enough color depth and good
    color
    > rendition the performance of the board doesn't matter. A Matrox G200
    works
    > fine for the purpose.

    Thanks for your response. I used to own a Matrox Millennium II and
    loved the card. But my main concern is still the OpenGL performance
    with heavy texture mapping (the texture image size may be as big as
    3504x2336 fullcolor).
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    kilo_effects@yahoo.com wrote:

    > Thanks, folks. So 6600GT AGP is the one to wait. I've got
    > plenty of time (I am using the brand new GeForce 2 MX card
    > that came with the machine; it doesn't have a fan).
    >
    > BTW, I have another question. For video editing (like Adobe
    > Premiere), what is the best value GeForce 4 card? Should I
    > go for 256MB? Or the video memory is irrelevant here?

    For video editing as long as you have enough color depth and good color
    rendition the performance of the board doesn't matter. A Matrox G200 works
    fine for the purpose.

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    kilo_effects@yahoo.com wrote:

    > J. Clarke wrote:
    >>
    >> For video editing as long as you have enough color depth and good
    > color
    >> rendition the performance of the board doesn't matter. A Matrox G200
    > works
    >> fine for the purpose.
    >
    > Thanks for your response. I used to own a Matrox Millennium II and
    > loved the card. But my main concern is still the OpenGL performance
    > with heavy texture mapping (the texture image size may be as big as
    > 3504x2336 fullcolor).

    For that one of the current nvidia boards would be your best bet. Any
    current production board far exceeds the performance requirements of any
    video-editing program.

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)