Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Best Value GeForce 4 Card?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
Anonymous
November 24, 2004 8:14:19 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

The fan of my video card is making a lot of noise lately.
It's a GeForce 3 card I bought in August 2001 for $329. :^)
So, it's about time...

What is the best value GeForce 4 card as of today? I did
some google search. The 5900XT seems to get quite a few
recommendations. The price is around $180 per newegg.com.

Mostly, I do OpenGL programming, plus some Maya and some
Photoshop 2D stuff. My machine is a P4 2.4GHz with 512MB memory.

Thanks.

More about : geforce card

Anonymous
November 24, 2004 8:21:55 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

"kilo effects" <kilo_effects@yahoo.com> wrote
> What is the best value GeForce 4 card as of today? I did
> some google search. The 5900XT seems to get quite a few
> recommendations. The price is around $180 per newegg.com.
I'd wait a couple of months and get a 6600GT AGP. Right now it's $230, but
it just came out. It has rendered all the $200 range cards obsolete (watch
the Radeon guys jump in -- ok, ok, guys!)....


--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.
Anonymous
November 25, 2004 2:54:44 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

kilo effects wrote:

> The fan of my video card is making a lot of noise lately.
> It's a GeForce 3 card I bought in August 2001 for $329. :^)
> So, it's about time...
>
> What is the best value GeForce 4 card as of today? I did
> some google search. The 5900XT seems to get quite a few
> recommendations. The price is around $180 per newegg.com.
>
> Mostly, I do OpenGL programming, plus some Maya and some
> Photoshop 2D stuff. My machine is a P4 2.4GHz with 512MB memory.

If you want a Geforce _4_ go with a Ti4200. The 5900XT is Geforce _5_ and
the 6600 is Geforce _6_.

If you do Maya then get one off the supported hardware list for Maya--that's
too expensive a piece of software to dink around with.

> Thanks.

--
--John
Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Related resources
Anonymous
November 25, 2004 2:56:43 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Ed Light wrote:

>
> "kilo effects" <kilo_effects@yahoo.com> wrote
>> What is the best value GeForce 4 card as of today? I did
>> some google search. The 5900XT seems to get quite a few
>> recommendations. The price is around $180 per newegg.com.
> I'd wait a couple of months and get a 6600GT AGP. Right now it's $230, but
> it just came out. It has rendered all the $200 range cards obsolete (watch
> the Radeon guys jump in -- ok, ok, guys!)....

Actually, given that he's an OpenGL programmer, maybe a Radeon would be a
good idea. ATI's OpenGL implementation has historically been pretty poor,
so if his code will run on an ATI it will probably run on anything.

--
--John
Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
November 25, 2004 6:08:58 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

"Ed Light" <nobody@nobody.there> wrote in message
news:Tsapd.141641$bk1.125528@fed1read05...
>
>
> I'd wait a couple of months and get a 6600GT AGP. Right now it's $230, but
> it just came out. It has rendered all the $200 range cards obsolete (watch
> the Radeon guys jump in -- ok, ok, guys!)....
>

I've been a Radeon user for years and I completely agree with you. In fact
I'm buying one myself, I'm just waiting for a more familiar brand. I know
nothing about XFX or Albatron (which are the only two brands available right
now), is either any good?
Anonymous
November 25, 2004 6:08:59 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Thanks, folks. So 6600GT AGP is the one to wait. I've got
plenty of time (I am using the brand new GeForce 2 MX card
that came with the machine; it doesn't have a fan).

BTW, I have another question. For video editing (like Adobe
Premiere), what is the best value GeForce 4 card? Should I
go for 256MB? Or the video memory is irrelevant here?
Anonymous
November 25, 2004 6:09:00 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

<kilo_effects@yahoo.com> wrote
> BTW, I have another question. For video editing (like Adobe
> Premiere), what is the best value GeForce 4 card? Should I
> go for 256MB? Or the video memory is irrelevant here?
The 6600 GT has hardware video encode and decode. But hopefully it will work
properly and the current or near-future drivers will support it.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.
Anonymous
November 25, 2004 6:41:08 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

>I'm just waiting for a more familiar brand. I know
>nothing about XFX or Albatron (which are the only two brands available right
>now)

From what I have read the Albatron has memory at 400, but if I'm not mistaken
the default for a 6600GT is 450. So I don't get that, maybe the AGP version has
lower clocked memory.

I suggest waiting for a few more reviews before buying, the XFX seems to be
getting good reviews though.
Anonymous
November 25, 2004 11:05:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

<kilo_effects@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1101360130.539128.164440@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
> Thanks, folks. So 6600GT AGP is the one to wait. I've got
> plenty of time (I am using the brand new GeForce 2 MX card
> that came with the machine; it doesn't have a fan).
>
> BTW, I have another question. For video editing (like Adobe
> Premiere), what is the best value GeForce 4 card? Should I
> go for 256MB? Or the video memory is irrelevant here?

GeForce 4 cards are two generations behind the current ones available.
Forget about GeForce 4's. GeForce 6 cards are out now, like the 6600, 6800,
etc.

256MB is about the norm these days. Some workstation type graphics cards
have 512MB of ram on them.
Anonymous
November 25, 2004 3:19:25 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

It's embarrassing. I thought the current crop was still GeForce 4.
Thanks again, folks! I am on the waiting line for NV43.
November 25, 2004 5:01:33 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

>
>"Ed Light" <nobody@nobody.there> wrote in message
>news:Tsapd.141641$bk1.125528@fed1read05...
>>
>>
>> I'd wait a couple of months and get a 6600GT AGP. Right now it's $230, but
>> it just came out. It has rendered all the $200 range cards obsolete (watch
>> the Radeon guys jump in -- ok, ok, guys!)....
>>
>
>I've been a Radeon user for years and I completely agree with you. In fact
>I'm buying one myself, I'm just waiting for a more familiar brand. I know
>nothing about XFX or Albatron (which are the only two brands available right
>now), is either any good?
>

I'm using a XFX 6800GT with no probs at all. The company is American. The card
is a standard reference design and appears well made. Like most stuff these
days its made in China. Appears to have been awarded many mag best buy awards
etc.
http://www.xfxforce.co.uk/index.php

I think as long as you go with a reference card design which most are anyway you
wont go far wrong, there all basically the same, only differences with some
cards appear to be with the on-board cooling. My advice is go with the
cheapest card and put a Artic Cooler Silencer on it.... cheap and almost silent.

Mike
Anonymous
November 25, 2004 7:09:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

>GeForce 4 cards are two generations behind the current ones available.
>Forget about GeForce 4's. GeForce 6 cards are out now, like the 6600, 6800,

I agree spend the money on current hardware. You can so much more features by
just spending a little bit more then a Geforce 4 would cost..
Anonymous
November 25, 2004 7:13:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

>I think as long as you go with a reference card design which most are anyway
>you
>wont go far wrong, there all basically the same, only differences with some
>cards appear to be with the on-board cooling.

I agree but you should also watch out for cards that use inferior electronic
components. Some companies will follow the reference design, but if they use
cheap capacitors, coils, resistors...the card won't last. They might also have
less visual quality using cheaper components.
Anonymous
November 25, 2004 7:20:48 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

J. Clarke wrote:
>
> For video editing as long as you have enough color depth and good
color
> rendition the performance of the board doesn't matter. A Matrox G200
works
> fine for the purpose.

Thanks for your response. I used to own a Matrox Millennium II and
loved the card. But my main concern is still the OpenGL performance
with heavy texture mapping (the texture image size may be as big as
3504x2336 fullcolor).
Anonymous
November 25, 2004 8:15:23 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

kilo_effects@yahoo.com wrote:

> Thanks, folks. So 6600GT AGP is the one to wait. I've got
> plenty of time (I am using the brand new GeForce 2 MX card
> that came with the machine; it doesn't have a fan).
>
> BTW, I have another question. For video editing (like Adobe
> Premiere), what is the best value GeForce 4 card? Should I
> go for 256MB? Or the video memory is irrelevant here?

For video editing as long as you have enough color depth and good color
rendition the performance of the board doesn't matter. A Matrox G200 works
fine for the purpose.

--
--John
Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Anonymous
November 25, 2004 10:48:18 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

kilo_effects@yahoo.com wrote:

> J. Clarke wrote:
>>
>> For video editing as long as you have enough color depth and good
> color
>> rendition the performance of the board doesn't matter. A Matrox G200
> works
>> fine for the purpose.
>
> Thanks for your response. I used to own a Matrox Millennium II and
> loved the card. But my main concern is still the OpenGL performance
> with heavy texture mapping (the texture image size may be as big as
> 3504x2336 fullcolor).

For that one of the current nvidia boards would be your best bet. Any
current production board far exceeds the performance requirements of any
video-editing program.

--
--John
Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
!