Got a question about SN95G5 and 6600 GT AGP

Rudy

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

I'm thinking about getting a shuttle SN95G5. Anandtech.com reccomends that
barebones system with a Nvidia 6600 GT AGP and Athlon 64 3500+. My question
is whether it can supply adequate power. It comes with a 240W power supply,
but the 6600 GT requires a 300W. Any insights? I've heard of people
running this card with this system and no problems.

Also, since the shuttle comes with its own heatsink-type thingie, should I
just buy an OEM cpu (without a cooling fan)? I usually buy retail cpus with
fans, because I don't overclock, so the stock fan is ok. It just seems
unnatural to buy a proc without a fan.

"Rudy" <rudy4606@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm thinking about getting a shuttle SN95G5. Anandtech.com reccomends
> that barebones system with a Nvidia 6600 GT AGP and Athlon 64 3500+. My
> question is whether it can supply adequate power. It comes with a 240W
> power supply, but the 6600 GT requires a 300W. Any insights? I've heard
> of people running this card with this system and no problems.
>
> Also, since the shuttle comes with its own heatsink-type thingie, should I
> just buy an OEM cpu (without a cooling fan)? I usually buy retail cpus
> with fans, because I don't overclock, so the stock fan is ok. It just
> seems unnatural to buy a proc without a fan.

I've been running a SN41G2B for a while, and I really like it.
Get the retail (boxed) CPU - it's only a few $$ more (if any), you get a
better warrantee, and a spare fan to boot.
I mostly used the integrated graphics (it's a PVR, FCS), but recently
swapped the Hauppauge PVR-350 with a EVGA 6800XT and that little 200W supply
did not like it. I doubt +40 watts would be much of an improvement...

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 03:35:02 GMT, "Rudy"
<rudy4606@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I'm thinking about getting a shuttle SN95G5. Anandtech.com reccomends that
>barebones system with a Nvidia 6600 GT AGP and Athlon 64 3500+. My question
>is whether it can supply adequate power. It comes with a 240W power supply,
>but the 6600 GT requires a 300W. Any insights? I've heard of people
>running this card with this system and no problems.
>
>Also, since the shuttle comes with its own heatsink-type thingie, should I
>just buy an OEM cpu (without a cooling fan)? I usually buy retail cpus with
>fans, because I don't overclock, so the stock fan is ok. It just seems
>unnatural to buy a proc without a fan.

if anandtech.com recommends this Combination then it should
be ok. I had the same doubts. I own a SK83G and the FAQ at
shuttle say that it is ok to pair it with a GF68000GT! Go
Figure! I didn´t believe it and emailed shuttle here in
Germany and they confirmed this.

The GF6600GT is not as powerhungry, and should run sweet!
I am waiting now for my GF6800, and then i will see!
There are many Shuttle-Forums where this Question is a very
often asked, and the guys there are often critical or
cynical about their systems, but there are NO Posts about
Power Failures or a too weak Power Supply regarding to the
SN95G5. The Power Supply may have a lower Wattage, but they
are definitively High Quality, if even shuttle recommends
such Cards.

Regarding your Question about the CPU i agree with the
Poster before me, just buy a boxed one, it´s meant for End
Users, and you have no warranty-Hassle.

Hope that helps!

Georg
Germany