LEADTEK 6800 OR

raj

Distinguished
May 2, 2004

well am going to be upgrading my XFX vivo ti4600, it is known that XFX made
the highest benching ti4600 in the dx 8 world. :) anyways am going to be
picking up a leadtek 6800nu but not sure if I should wait for 6600agp in
reach where I live (FYI I live in manitoba winnipeg) is the 6800nu alot
faster than a 6600agp, am getting a good deal on the 6800 for $345cdn. all
input welcomed :)

I run one of those cards and for most things they are nearly as fast as the
GT, good value for money.

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041004/vga_charts-08.html

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 21:39:38 GMT, "raj" <rajiv01@shaw.ca>
wrote:

>well am going to be upgrading my XFX vivo ti4600, it is known that XFX made
>the highest benching ti4600 in the dx 8 world. :) anyways am going to be
>picking up a leadtek 6800nu but not sure if I should wait for 6600agp in
>reach where I live (FYI I live in manitoba winnipeg) is the 6800nu alot
>faster than a 6600agp, am getting a good deal on the 6800 for $345cdn. all
>input welcomed :)

you can buy the 6800, and if you are lucky and try the new
rivatuner-software your card may even run with the full
6800GT or even Ultra Specs (16 Pixel-Pipes, 5 or 6
Vertex-Pipes).

or in an other way:
The 6800 has Potential, to overclock or enable the remaining
Pipelines, the 6600GT has not. But it has higher Frequencies
and DDR3, which a basic 6800 has not.

I don´t know how much $345cdn is, but here in Germany the
6800 are sold for 270.-€ and more, whereas the 6600GT AGP is
barely available and costs 240€ and more. i think the
Potential Performance-gain is worth the 30.-€

sorry for my bad english

Georg
Germany

PS the Leadtek has also one of the best stock cooling fans,
so if you want a less noisy card it is the Nr 2 behind the
Gigabyte-68128, which is completely passiv cooled.

> you can buy the 6800, and if you are lucky and try the new
> rivatuner-software your card may even run with the full
> 6800GT or even Ultra Specs (16 Pixel-Pipes, 5 or 6
> Vertex-Pipes).

People say this a lot and it's not quite right. You may be able to unlock
extra pipes and a vertex shader, but the GT and Ultra cards have much
faster memory. You will never turn a 6800nu into a GT or Ultra (unless it
is a card like the Asus Gamer Edition which does have the faster memory.)

tq96 wrote:

>> you can buy the 6800, and if you are lucky and try the new
>> rivatuner-software your card may even run with the full
>> 6800GT or even Ultra Specs (16 Pixel-Pipes, 5 or 6
>> Vertex-Pipes).
>
> People say this a lot and it's not quite right. You may be able to
> unlock extra pipes and a vertex shader, but the GT and Ultra cards
> have much faster memory. You will never turn a 6800nu into a GT or
> Ultra (unless it is a card like the Asus Gamer Edition which does
> have the faster memory.)

What is the "nu" in 6800nu?

"Non-Ultra", maybe? I ask only because I don't remember seeing that
convention used on other series that included a plain vanilla version and an
"ultra". Come to think of it, it'd be nice if there were a look-up table for
all these suffixes the card makers use, perhaps one exists?

dvus

> What is the "nu" in 6800nu?
>
> "Non-Ultra", maybe? I ask only because I don't remember seeing that

You're right. 6800nu is slang for the standard 6800. The entire series
really being 6800LE, 6800, 6800GT, 6800 Ultra. I think the nu tag is a
holdover from the days when NVidia produced two versions of a card, an
ultra and a standard. You'll see a similar slang used for some ATI cards -
"np" - meaning "non pro".

tq96 wrote:

> dvus wrote:

>> What is the "nu" in 6800nu?
>>
>> "Non-Ultra", maybe? I ask only because I don't remember seeing that
>
> You're right. 6800nu is slang for the standard 6800. The entire
> series really being 6800LE, 6800, 6800GT, 6800 Ultra. I think the nu
> tag is a holdover from the days when NVidia produced two versions of
> a card, an ultra and a standard. You'll see a similar slang used for
> some ATI cards - "np" - meaning "non pro".

Ok, thanks.

dvus

On 27 Nov 2004 08:51:38 GMT, tq96 <tq96@tq96.tq96> wrote:

>> you can buy the 6800, and if you are lucky and try the new
>> rivatuner-software your card may even run with the full
>> 6800GT or even Ultra Specs (16 Pixel-Pipes, 5 or 6
>> Vertex-Pipes).
>
>People say this a lot and it's not quite right. You may be able to unlock
>extra pipes and a vertex shader, but the GT and Ultra cards have much
>faster memory. You will never turn a 6800nu into a GT or Ultra (unless it
>is a card like the Asus Gamer Edition which does have the faster memory.)

you are right...

but it still will be faster than before, for zero cost.

Georg
Germany