3DMark display "loses focus" and aborts

Goober

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2004

I have a 5200 Ultra (yeah, I know) running on an Athlon XP 3000+ system w/
512MB RAM. The latest drivers and DirectX 9.0c are loaded. I use AVG
Anti-Virus (latest version) and ZoneAlarm (latest version), although I
always terminate them before running benchmarks.

Every time I try to run 3DMark03 Pro, it runs for a while, but then aborts
with this message:

"Reliable benchmarking cannot be completed because the 3DMark display
window lost focus."

I get the same (or very similar) message with 3DMark05 and 3DMark 2001. It
doesn't stop at the same test... it could abort anywhere.

I check FutureMark's site but could find no info in their FAQs. Any idea why
the 3DMark window "loses its focus" and aborts?

Because it can't believe you are benchmarking such a gnarly system? I think
you will have to give it a stern talking to.

"Goober" <NixSpam@spamless.net> wrote in message
>I have a 5200 Ultra (yeah, I know) running on an Athlon XP 3000+ system w/
>512MB RAM. The latest drivers and DirectX 9.0c are loaded. I use AVG
>Anti-Virus (latest version) and ZoneAlarm (latest version), although I
>always terminate them before running benchmarks.
>
> Every time I try to run 3DMark03 Pro, it runs for a while, but then aborts
> with this message:
>
> "Reliable benchmarking cannot be completed because the 3DMark display
> window lost focus."
>
> I get the same (or very similar) message with 3DMark05 and 3DMark 2001.
> It doesn't stop at the same test... it could abort anywhere.
>
> I check FutureMark's site but could find no info in their FAQs. Any idea
> why the 3DMark window "loses its focus" and aborts?

Expert

I get these errors when I have OC'ed the ram / cpu to far. The data being
sent to and from the video card via the cpu / ram is messed up " lost focus
". Check your DDR memory timings and make sure the all the cache setting
for your video card in the BIOS are disabled. Also check the CPU temp
during the bench.