"Operating System Not Found" at boot up on my 200x

Piranha

My 200x notebook is a little over a year old and was very reliable
until now. I have to try 2-3 times to boot it up and find the OS.

At first, I thought it was the CMOS battery, but it was ok. I then
bought a new samsung hardrive and reloaded XP pro. The computer
booted up fine for a few days and then started with the OPERATING
SYSTEM NOT FOUND again!

Also lately I was getting some stop problem shutting the OS down, but
I havent seen it do this for the last few days.

What could be my problem? I'm about ready to throw the damn thing out
the window! I don't want to send it into gateway because it is out of
warrenty.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

If Fastboot is enabled in CMOS, turn it off and see if you have the same
problem. I've seen this problem on a few systems, primarily on cold boots,
where the system tries to boot up before the HD has reached operational
speed.

> My 200x notebook is a little over a year old and was very reliable
> until now. I have to try 2-3 times to boot it up and find the OS.
>
> At first, I thought it was the CMOS battery, but it was ok. I then
> bought a new samsung hardrive and reloaded XP pro. The computer
> booted up fine for a few days and then started with the OPERATING
> SYSTEM NOT FOUND again!
>
> Also lately I was getting some stop problem shutting the OS down, but
> I havent seen it do this for the last few days.
>
> What could be my problem? I'm about ready to throw the damn thing out
> the window! I don't want to send it into gateway because it is out of
> warrenty.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated

I had the same problem with my Gateway 200X. I finally figured out
that the problem was the ribbon cable that connects the motherboard
with the hard drive. If your laptop is like mine, it has a kink in
the ribbon cable. I would try flatening out the ribbon cable before
you do anything more drastic. See if that works.