FYI: CompUSA PNY 6800 AGP for $199 - two days only !!!

Standard PNY GeForce 6800 128MB AGP (reg $299.99) for $230 after instant
rebate and $199 after mail-in rebate. Even without the mail-in rebate it
is a great deal.

The standard GeForce 6800 is a considerably better performer than the
6600 GT, especially at higher resolutions. And at a price of $245 for
the AGP version of the 6600 GT it is ridiculously overpriced. That must
be one expensive HSI bridge chip.

If I hadn't already bought an eVGA 6800 I would be standing in line for
this one.

Tim

"wgd" <wgd@nomail.com> wrote in message

> The standard GeForce 6800 is a considerably better performer than the
> 6600 GT, especially at higher resolutions. And at a price of $245 for
> the AGP version of the 6600 GT it is ridiculously overpriced. That must
> be one expensive HSI bridge chip.

But at least the 6600 GT has hardware-accelerated HD WMV decoding.

> Standard PNY GeForce 6800 128MB AGP (reg $299.99) for $230 after instant
> rebate and $199 after mail-in rebate. Even without the mail-in rebate it
> is a great deal.

I couldn't believe it when I walked into CompUSA around 11:00am and they
still had 6 of these sitting on the shelf. I expected this item to be sold
out within the first few minutes of opening. I guess a lot of people don't
see it as that sweet of a deal.

Beowulf

Distinguished
May 29, 2004

tq96 wrote:

>>Standard PNY GeForce 6800 128MB AGP (reg $299.99) for $230 after instant
>>rebate and $199 after mail-in rebate. Even without the mail-in rebate it
>>is a great deal.
>

> I couldn't believe it when I walked into CompUSA around 11:00am and they
> still had 6 of these sitting on the shelf. I expected this item to be sold
> out within the first few minutes of opening. I guess a lot of people don't
> see it as that sweet of a deal.

nope...my price point is $99US after rebates. I'm a gamer on a tight
budget until the kids are gone.

PapaSurf

"Beowulf" <edkchem@netscape.net> wrote in message
> tq96 wrote:
>
>>>Standard PNY GeForce 6800 128MB AGP (reg $299.99) for $230 after instant
>>>rebate and $199 after mail-in rebate. Even without the mail-in rebate it
>>>is a great deal.
>>

>> I couldn't believe it when I walked into CompUSA around 11:00am and they
>> still had 6 of these sitting on the shelf. I expected this item to be
>> sold out within the first few minutes of opening. I guess a lot of
>> people don't see it as that sweet of a deal.
>
> nope...my price point is $99US after rebates. I'm a gamer on a tight
> budget until the kids are gone.
Maybe there is a problem with the PNY 6800. Here is a quote and a link from
Hardocp: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=837377&highlight=PNY+6800

"Just picked up my PNY 6800 from CompUSA for the $199 deal, opened it and
noticed a capacitor sitting in the bottom of the plastic. You can also see
where it fell off on the back of the card. I figured it was a fluke and
decided to try the card anyway since the closest CompUSA is 40 mins. away.
The card seems to work, but will not overclock even 1 mhz when using the
detect optimum settings. However, with powerstrip it will get up to 380/810.
When I checked the forums, I noticed at least 4 other people from different
states just got the same card with a capacitor that fell off the card. "

>When I checked the forums, I noticed at least 4 other people from different
>states just got the same card with a capacitor that fell off the card.

Its a capacitor conspiracy....good old CompUSA!

PapaSurf

"papasurf" <papa@nospam.net> wrote in message

> "Beowulf" <edkchem@netscape.net> wrote in message

>>> I couldn't believe it when I walked into CompUSA around 11:00am and they
>>> still had 6 of these sitting on the shelf. I expected this item to be
>>> sold out within the first few minutes of opening. I guess a lot of
>>> people don't see it as that sweet of a deal.
>>
>> nope...my price point is $99US after rebates. I'm a gamer on a tight
>> budget until the kids are gone.
> Maybe there is a problem with the PNY 6800. Here is a quote and a link
> from Hardocp:
> http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=837377&highlight=PNY+6800
>
> "Just picked up my PNY 6800 from CompUSA for the $199 deal, opened it and
> noticed a capacitor sitting in the bottom of the plastic. You can also see
> where it fell off on the back of the card. I figured it was a fluke and
> decided to try the card anyway since the closest CompUSA is 40 mins. away.
> The card seems to work, but will not overclock even 1 mhz when using the
> detect optimum settings. However, with powerstrip it will get up to
> 380/810. When I checked the forums, I noticed at least 4 other people from
> different states just got the same card with a capacitor that fell off the
> card. "

Funny how after I posted a link and a snippet about PNY having some problems
my PNY GF4 Ti4200 died! Not even 24 hours later. RIP.....It was faithful to
the end;) I thought maybe cpu, mobo, ram or hard drive when it wouldn't boot
but since video was the easiest I pulled out the card and inserted my
Gainward Power Pac GF3 Ti450 ( a "hot" card at one time) and after some
driver hassles I am up and running again. Retried the GF4 Ti4200 just to
make sure but no go.

Lance

No, it's a PNY POS.
But, then again, I would still buy one if a CompUSA close to me still had
one.
I hate rebates, but $199, you can't beat that.

"PRIVATE1964" <private1964@aol.com> wrote in message
> >When I checked the forums, I noticed at least 4 other people from
> >different
>>states just got the same card with a capacitor that fell off the card.
>
> Its a capacitor conspiracy....good old CompUSA!

>I hate rebates, but $199, you can't beat that.

I don't trust rebates anymore.

If its an instant rebate thats OK, but sending them in no way. They have all
these loop holes that if you don't follow them exactly no rebate, or they just
never send you the money.

> >I hate rebates, but $199, you can't beat that.
>
> I don't trust rebates anymore.
>

> If its an instant rebate thats OK, but sending them in no way. They have
> all
> these loop holes that if you don't follow them exactly no rebate, or they
> just
> never send you the money.

I got the last 6800 at my local Compusa store, installed flawlessly and so
far am very impressed. I felt the same way about it being a PNY and never
got a 30.00 rebate on some memory a while back... they said I didnt include
the upc code which I did.

Anyway, I look at it like this.... even if they screw me out of the rebate
it is still a excellent buy at 229.00 and has a 3 year warranty. (My 5600
Ultra had a lifetime warranty from BFG).

Beowulf

Distinguished
May 29, 2004

papasurf wrote:

> "Beowulf" <edkchem@netscape.net> wrote in message

>>>I couldn't believe it when I walked into CompUSA around 11:00am and they
>>>still had 6 of these sitting on the shelf. I expected this item to be
>>>sold out within the first few minutes of opening. I guess a lot of
>>>people don't see it as that sweet of a deal.
>>
>>nope...my price point is $99US after rebates. I'm a gamer on a tight
>>budget until the kids are gone.
>
> Maybe there is a problem with the PNY 6800. Here is a quote and a link from
> Hardocp: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=837377&highlight=PNY+6800
>
> "Just picked up my PNY 6800 from CompUSA for the $199 deal, opened it and
> noticed a capacitor sitting in the bottom of the plastic. You can also see
> where it fell off on the back of the card. I figured it was a fluke and
> decided to try the card anyway since the closest CompUSA is 40 mins. away.
> The card seems to work, but will not overclock even 1 mhz when using the
> detect optimum settings. However, with powerstrip it will get up to 380/810.
> When I checked the forums, I noticed at least 4 other people from different
> states just got the same card with a capacitor that fell off the card. "

I'm not to pleased with the PNY quality as well. So cheap that I
usually can't resist and then I either have to run back to CompUSA (35
min drive) or Best Buy (20 min drive) and wrestle with PNY phone menu to
get an RMA. Bah!. I'm not buying them anymore.