GeForce 6600 GT AGP crashing in video games

Tags:
  • Nvidia
  • Video Games
  • Geforce
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 27, 2004 6:57:48 AM

Hello,

I recently purchased a XFX GeForce 6600 GT, AGP version, and I am
experiencing crashing problems.

My specs:

Dell SC400 2.8 GHz P4 with 512 MB of RAM, with HyperThreading enabled
Windows 2000 service pack 4 with all updates applied
Latest DirectX 9 drivers
Note: there are no on-board integrated graphics. After uninstalling the
drivers and the board from the Device Manager, I removed the existing ATI
Rage XL card and put in the AGP 6600 GT.

I tried upgrading to the latest Nvidia drivers, the BETA version, but that
didn't help.

Windows itself runs fine. I don't see the crash until I go into a video
game that makes use of DirectX. The game plays for a few minutes and then
crashes in one of two ways: it either reboots the system or it goes dead
with the monitor complaining of no video signal input. The games I have
tried and have all crashed so far is Max Payne 2, Half-Life 1 and Half-Life
2.

Any ideas on what to try next or what could be happening?

Thanks.

More about : geforce 6600 agp crashing video games

Anonymous
November 27, 2004 7:12:32 AM

Update:

I tried turning off hyperthreading but that did not help. I am not positive
on this but it seems to be happening during or right after an in-game movie
plays (cut-scene movie).

Thanks.
Anonymous
November 27, 2004 2:37:22 PM

"Robert Oschler" <no-mail-please@nospam.com> wrote in

> Update:
>
> I tried turning off hyperthreading but that did not help. I am not
> positive on this but it seems to be happening during or right after an
> in-game movie plays (cut-scene movie).
>
> Thanks.

Make sure you have all the latest game patches. If you have installed
Coolbits remove it. You will have to remove and re-install the driver to
remove Coolbits. Use the drivers that came with the card. Check for a
driver update from XFX.
November 27, 2004 2:37:23 PM