Fan failure

Charles

I have a GeForce FX5200 (Exair, China) about 3 months old, recently I heard
an unusual noise from within my PC sounding like a cheap fan bearing not
working properly followed by the smell of very hot PCB material (a smell I
am familiar with) so immediate power down.

The video card looked OK, but there was that distictive smell about it. I
managed to get the processor fan off and oil the bearing and it works ok
again, but of course now I'm semi paranoid about it happening again & don't
leave the PC unattended.

I know I should (and will soon) change the card but has anyone seen this
happen before? Are there any makes more reliable than others?

Thanks

DaveL

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001

I usually replace the fan. Here's a pic of a ti4200 that I fixed with a
cheap 40mm, 3 wire fan tie-wraped to the stock heatsink. This thing works
better than stock and has fan rpm monitoring.
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/dl1027/files/ti4200.jpg

DaveL

"Charles" <charles_m99@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have a GeForce FX5200 (Exair, China) about 3 months old, recently I
heard
> an unusual noise from within my PC sounding like a cheap fan bearing not
> working properly followed by the smell of very hot PCB material (a smell I
> am familiar with) so immediate power down.
>
> The video card looked OK, but there was that distictive smell about it. I
> managed to get the processor fan off and oil the bearing and it works ok
> again, but of course now I'm semi paranoid about it happening again &
don't
> leave the PC unattended.
>
> I know I should (and will soon) change the card but has anyone seen this
> happen before? Are there any makes more reliable than others?
>
> Thanks

Were you the same guy that put two Orb coolers on a Voodoo5 with zip-ties?

"DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I usually replace the fan. Here's a pic of a ti4200 that I fixed with a
> cheap 40mm, 3 wire fan tie-wraped to the stock heatsink. This thing works
> better than stock and has fan rpm monitoring.
> http://mywebpages.comcast.net/dl1027/files/ti4200.jpg
>
> DaveL
>

> "Charles" <charles_m99@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I have a GeForce FX5200 (Exair, China) about 3 months old, recently I
> heard
> > an unusual noise from within my PC sounding like a cheap fan bearing not
> > working properly followed by the smell of very hot PCB material (a smell
> > am familiar with) so immediate power down.
> >
> > The video card looked OK, but there was that distictive smell about it.
> > managed to get the processor fan off and oil the bearing and it works ok
> > again, but of course now I'm semi paranoid about it happening again &
> don't
> > leave the PC unattended.
> >
> > I know I should (and will soon) change the card but has anyone seen this
> > happen before? Are there any makes more reliable than others?
> >
> > Thanks

DaveL

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001