HELP: graphic artifacts

KJ

I've had a GeForce4 Ti 4600 (ASUS V8460) for a while, never had any problems.

Now there are some minor glitches on the first boot up screen with the memory
check, then again on Windows XP load screen. When Windows boots up, there
are many visible dots, in about 6 vertical lines across the screen. Dragging a
Window across the screen makes the dots draw on it, like etch-a-sketch, as
seen in this pic:

http://www.k-j.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/glitch.jpg

And when scrolling up or down web pages, the lines of dots join up into straight
lines. Refreshing or reopening the window gets rid of the pattern, but the dots
are still there and it happens again.

No idea what's wrong, but seen as how I'm not just seeing a change in Windows
(because of the booting up minor little line glitches), I'm guessing it's some sort of
hardware trouble? Can anyone tell me what the problem is?

TIA

Beowulf

Distinguished
May 29, 2004

Kj wrote:
> I've had a GeForce4 Ti 4600 (ASUS V8460) for a while, never had any problems.
>
> Now there are some minor glitches on the first boot up screen with the memory
> check, then again on Windows XP load screen. When Windows boots up, there
> are many visible dots, in about 6 vertical lines across the screen. Dragging a
> Window across the screen makes the dots draw on it, like etch-a-sketch, as
> seen in this pic:
>
> http://www.k-j.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/glitch.jpg
>
> And when scrolling up or down web pages, the lines of dots join up into straight
> lines. Refreshing or reopening the window gets rid of the pattern, but the dots
> are still there and it happens again.
>
> No idea what's wrong, but seen as how I'm not just seeing a change in Windows
> (because of the booting up minor little line glitches), I'm guessing it's some sort of
> hardware trouble? Can anyone tell me what the problem is?
>
> TIA
>

> --------------= Posted using GrabIt =----------------
> ------= Binary Usenet downloading made easy =---------
> -= Get GrabIt for free from http://www.shemes.com/ =-

bad card is my 1st choice, esp since you see it well before graphics
driver loads. The green dots will appear on some DVD sw when hrardware
acceleration is turned on but are randomly distributed. Have you tried
running the memory or gpu clock down (underclock) to see if it goes
away? Check the fan. Also, do you have a tower case? on some the dust
that builds up in teh cpu heatsink will fall off onto the back of the
card. It could case ovver heating and not all dust is non-conductive.

>I've had a GeForce4 Ti 4600 (ASUS V8460) for a while, never had any problems.
>
>Now there are some minor glitches on the first boot up screen with the memory
>
>check, then again on Windows XP load screen. When Windows boots up, there
>are many visible dots, in about 6 vertical lines across the screen. Dragging
>Window across the screen makes the dots draw on it, like etch-a-sketch, as
>seen in this pic:
>
>http://www.k-j.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/glitch.jpg
>
>And when scrolling up or down web pages, the lines of dots join up into
>straight
>lines. Refreshing or reopening the window gets rid of the pattern, but the
>dots
>are still there and it happens again.
>
>No idea what's wrong, but seen as how I'm not just seeing a change in Windows
>(because of the booting up minor little line glitches), I'm guessing it's
>some sort of
>hardware trouble? Can anyone tell me what the problem is?
>
>TIA
>

>--------------= Posted using GrabIt =----------------
>------= Binary Usenet downloading made easy =---------
>-= Get GrabIt for free from http://www.shemes.com/ =-

Sounds like it could a heating problem or the memory is going bad maybe even
drivers if you have changed them recently.

Check to make sure the fan on the card is still working and there is plenty of
airflow in your case.

If the fan is still working the memory is probably going bad.

If the memory is bad, you timed it just right for an upgrade to a nice fast
6600GT.

Bad memory module on the card if the artifacts appear with a greenish colour
as that would be my first bet. However, I hav also seen plenty of power
supplies cause this as well. If you are using Windows XP roll back to a
restore point prior to the problem just in case you suspect a faulty driver
or other software issue. Take the side cover off and run a house fan to blow
inside the unit to keep things cool and see if this results in improvement.

regards

"Kj" <nobody@home.net> wrote in message
> I've had a GeForce4 Ti 4600 (ASUS V8460) for a while, never had any
> problems.
>
> Now there are some minor glitches on the first boot up screen with the
> memory
> check, then again on Windows XP load screen. When Windows boots up, there
> are many visible dots, in about 6 vertical lines across the screen.
> Dragging a
> Window across the screen makes the dots draw on it, like etch-a-sketch, as
> seen in this pic:
>
> http://www.k-j.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/glitch.jpg
>
> And when scrolling up or down web pages, the lines of dots join up into
> straight
> lines. Refreshing or reopening the window gets rid of the pattern, but the
> dots
> are still there and it happens again.
>
> No idea what's wrong, but seen as how I'm not just seeing a change in
> Windows
> (because of the booting up minor little line glitches), I'm guessing it's
> some sort of
> hardware trouble? Can anyone tell me what the problem is?
>
> TIA

> ------= Binary Usenet downloading made easy =---------
> -= Get GrabIt for free from http://www.shemes.com/ =-

Which driver version are you using?