do i need a new router

ME

hi guys,

I have been trying unsuccessfully to make a vpn connection to an SBS server
sitting behind a belkin router (F5D7633).

I keep getting error 721 which, from reading on the net I am putting down to
the GRE or Protocol 47 not getting through my router.

In the router there is no mention of PPTP passthru or anything similar. I
do have port 1723 forwarded.

It works if I configure the SBS IP as the DMZ server.

I just talked myself into an answer.. i guess I do need a new router that
has actual feature of pptp passthru.

Still, your advice appreciated.

In article <iLEXe.18426$yF2.5680@newsfe6-win.ntli.net>, me@privacy.net
says...
> hi guys,
>
> I have been trying unsuccessfully to make a vpn connection to an SBS server
> sitting behind a belkin router (F5D7633).
>
> I keep getting error 721 which, from reading on the net I am putting down to
> the GRE or Protocol 47 not getting through my router.
>
> In the router there is no mention of PPTP passthru or anything similar. I
> do have port 1723 forwarded.
>
> It works if I configure the SBS IP as the DMZ server.
>
> I just talked myself into an answer.. i guess I do need a new router that
> has actual feature of pptp passthru.
>
> Still, your advice appreciated.

Try this workaround - Forward PORT 47 to the server inbound.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

ME

Hi,

I tried that but then I read that port 47 and protocol 47 AKA GRE are
unrelated.

new router I think.. gonna change to draytek vigors instead of belkins.

In article <1127367693.382353.31950@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
jameshanley39@yahoo.co.uk says...
> I also heard good reports about Watchguard routers.

WatchGuard doesn't make routers, they make firewalls - they are NOT like
the NAT Routers that others provide - they are true firewalls in all
cases..

> Maybe Draytek and Watchguard are more for commercial environments or a
> techie home. I guess cisco would be one up on that.

CISCO is a PITA for setup, more than most home users want to deal with.
Linksys being purchased by CISCO has not provided by additional quality
for Linksys products, in fact, GRE still doesn't work and they've not
put SPI back in to their routers yet.

Don't confuse routers and Firewalls.