FX5500 256meg shows aperture size 32 meg in CPU-Z ?????

Howdy,
anyone have the same problem ?
I bought this cheap card a while ago for playing some games.
I thought 256 Meg on the card would be sufficient. Now I discover with CPU-Z
that the aperture size is only 32 meg instead of the 256 I bought....
Is there a switch i have to use to fully use the capacity of my card ?
When I play games I can't choose the hardware accelaration, always
software...
DX diag works (version 9c).....
Please advice...
Gigibros

"Gigibros" <Gigibros@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Howdy,
> anyone have the same problem ?
> I bought this cheap card a while ago for playing some games.
> I thought 256 Meg on the card would be sufficient. Now I discover with
> CPU-Z that the aperture size is only 32 meg instead of the 256 I
> bought....
> Is there a switch i have to use to fully use the capacity of my card ?
> When I play games I can't choose the hardware accelaration, always
> software...
> DX diag works (version 9c).....
> Please advice...
> Gigibros

The aperture size has nothing to do with the amount of ram on the card, it
is a setting within the BIOS which allows a specified amount of your PC ram
to be used aswell.

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 12:50:04 GMT, "Gigibros" <Gigibros@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Howdy,
>anyone have the same problem ?
>I bought this cheap card a while ago for playing some games.
>I thought 256 Meg on the card would be sufficient. Now I discover with CPU-Z
>that the aperture size is only 32 meg instead of the 256 I bought....
>Is there a switch i have to use to fully use the capacity of my card ?
>When I play games I can't choose the hardware accelaration, always
>software...
>DX diag works (version 9c).....
>Please advice...
>Gigibros

The aperture size is a setting within the mainboard's bios. I
don't know if the small setting would affect games like you describe,
but alot of newer videocard's are suggested to be set at 64MB, or
128MB. The rule of thumb is usally half the amount of system RAM, but
my GeForce 4 Ti4400 128MB has problems if I set it at 256MB on my FIC
AN19c mainboard with 512MB system RAM. I set mine at 128MB, and it
works great. Try changing yours, and see if it helps.

"NDF" <none@entered.com> schreef in bericht

> The aperture size has nothing to do with the amount of ram on the card, it
> is a setting within the BIOS which allows a specified amount of your PC
> ram to be used aswell.
>Ok, that may be possible, but i'm still not able to play on hardware....
What might be the problem ?
Bad card ?
With wich program can I fully test the videocard, and show me what my real
specs are ??

Go into your BIOS and set AGP Aperture to 128. 32 is too small. It has nothing
to do with the amount of ram on your card though.

"Larry Roberts" <skin-e@juno.com> schreef in bericht
> On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 12:50:04 GMT, "Gigibros" <Gigibros@hotmail.com>
> wrote:

Ok, thx
I'll try that, but you guys know a program that really shows me if i have
problems with my videocard ?
Athlon 3000+
1000 meg ram
200 gig harddrive
XP pro + SP1

I am able to play the games, but i think the rest of my configuration
compensates a lot for my videocard.
I thought I could put all settings on very high, but the games keep
crashing.........

> "Larry Roberts" <skin-e@juno.com> schreef in bericht
> > On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 12:50:04 GMT, "Gigibros" <Gigibros@hotmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >>
> Ok, thx
> I'll try that, but you guys know a program that really shows me if i have
> problems with my videocard ?
> Athlon 3000+
> 1000 meg ram
> 200 gig harddrive
> XP pro + SP1
>
> I am able to play the games, but i think the rest of my configuration
> compensates a lot for my videocard.
> I thought I could put all settings on very high, but the games keep
> crashing.........

Have you ran the directx tester built into windows xp?

\accessories\system tools\system Information

xman

"Gigibros" <Gigibros@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Larry Roberts" <skin-e@juno.com> schreef in bericht
>> On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 12:50:04 GMT, "Gigibros" <Gigibros@hotmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
> Ok, thx
> I'll try that, but you guys know a program that really shows me if i have
> problems with my videocard ?
> Athlon 3000+
> 1000 meg ram
> 200 gig harddrive
> XP pro + SP1
>
> I am able to play the games, but i think the rest of my configuration
> compensates a lot for my videocard.
> I thought I could put all settings on very high, but the games keep
> crashing.........

Most likely the driver is not install for your FX5500.
Can you check what device showing / listing in Display Properties in Setting
[Tab]?

CapFusion,...

TRENDING THREADS