FX5500 or Ti4600

Which one of these cards is the fastest, and what is the margin between the
two?

The reason I ask is that a mate of mine has rushed out and bought a £900
system from PC World (shudder!) that contains a 5500 - just for the sake of
playing Half Life 2. Because a friend of his plays on an older Ti4600, he
reckons he'll get far better performance. I'm not so sure.

Cheers.

Dino

for an older generation card..the 4600 is faster than the FX5500...a Ti4200
is faster than it..you just won't get all the eye candy with the Ti's

"dino" <whyme@help.com> wrote in message
> for an older generation card..the 4600 is faster than the FX5500...a
Ti4200
> is faster than it..you just won't get all the eye candy with the Ti's

That's what I thought.

It's proving difficult to find any benchmarks or reviews of the 5500. Pretty
obscure card aye!

"Cuzman" <cuzNOSPAM@supanet.com> wrote in message
> "Paul Turnbull" <turnbull2000*nojunkmail*@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in
message

> " It's proving difficult to find any benchmarks or reviews of the 5500.
> Pretty obscure card aye! "
>

> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=review+fx5500

lol thanks

I wouldn't buy either one, for the price get
a 5700LE. The 256mb ones are going for
about 100 bucks. It's essentially an underclocked
5700, which means it's very overclockable. I have
mine overclocked some 30-40% and very stable.

If you can wait, then for about 20-50 bucks more
you'll soon be able to buy a 6200 256mb, probably
even in AGP.

> Which one of these cards is the fastest, and what is the margin between the
> two?
>
> The reason I ask is that a mate of mine has rushed out and bought a £900
> system from PC World (shudder!) that contains a 5500 - just for the sake of
> playing Half Life 2. Because a friend of his plays on an older Ti4600, he
> reckons he'll get far better performance. I'm not so sure.
>
> Cheers.

The 4600 is faster.

--
DaveW

"Paul Turnbull" <turnbull2000*nojunkmail*@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Which one of these cards is the fastest, and what is the margin between
> the
> two?
>
> The reason I ask is that a mate of mine has rushed out and bought a £900
> system from PC World (shudder!) that contains a 5500 - just for the sake
> of
> playing Half Life 2. Because a friend of his plays on an older Ti4600, he
> reckons he'll get far better performance. I'm not so sure.
>
> Cheers.

Well, I guess he has only himself to blame. His TFT monitor also runs at
1280x1024 - which seems far to high for a 5500 if he intends to run HL2, Far
Cry etc.