GeForce 6600 GT quality boost possible?

I am amazed at the difference in quality between high quality and med.
quality modes using Doom 3. Unfortunately, my current rig won't cope with
high-Q mode (3.0 GHz P4 with 512 MB ram) using my GeForce 6600 GT card.
Game damn near freezes up when the fighting starts in high-Q mdoe.

Would more memory help? What else could I try to boost my rig? Or is it
terminal med-Q for me?

Thanks.

If you are running XP then you need more memory. XP uses a lot of the memory
and Doom 3 needs a lot as well. You should go up to 1 gig of memory.

"RonK" <I'mnuts@home.com> wrote in message
> If you are running XP then you need more memory. XP uses a lot of the
memory
> and Doom 3 needs a lot as well. You should go up to 1 gig of memory.

Yep. Doom 3 works best with a gig or more even under W2k, and it's choppy
and uglier under 98SE no matter how ya slice it...

XP can be put on a serious Slim-Fast diet and it'll help a little. If you
have as few services running in the background as possible, and no mile-wide
taskbar with RealAnything, IM gar-bagio, or Weatherbug or other spyware,
file-sharing, folding clients, Windows Messenger that deserves a quick
death, or Automatic Update service poo running, it gets better...

Nerdillius Maximus wrote:
> "RonK" <I'mnuts@home.com> wrote in message

>> If you are running XP then you need more memory. XP uses a lot of
>> the memory and Doom 3 needs a lot as well. You should go up to 1 gig
>> of memory.
>
> Yep. Doom 3 works best with a gig or more even under W2k, and it's
> choppy and uglier under 98SE no matter how ya slice it...
>
> XP can be put on a serious Slim-Fast diet and it'll help a little. If
> you have as few services running in the background as possible, and
> no mile-wide taskbar with RealAnything, IM gar-bagio, or Weatherbug
> or other spyware, file-sharing, folding clients, Windows Messenger
> that deserves a quick death, or Automatic Update service poo running,
> it gets better...

XP seems to indicate that M$ OE needs Windows Messenger running to work
properly. Many times I've closed IM only to have it re-load when I open OE,
and I have unticked the "Automatically Load Windows Messenger" box in the
options menu. IM seems to be one of those things that won't go away.

dvus

They say that 512MB *graphics* memory is 'recommended' to play doom 3 in
max. settings.
They probably made the game to last :)
For the rest, only things you probably know already:
Stop all unnecesary software.
Close msn/messenger.
Disable virusscanner.
Have yet to try the game on my new pentium 3.2 with 1Gig, but I can tell you
my 'olde' P2.8 with 512MB was also sloppy on High-Q. (having a Gainward
6800GT).

regards,
Marcel

"Robert Oschler" <no-mail-please@nospam.com> schreef in bericht
> I am amazed at the difference in quality between high quality and med.
> quality modes using Doom 3. Unfortunately, my current rig won't cope with
> high-Q mode (3.0 GHz P4 with 512 MB ram) using my GeForce 6600 GT card.
> Game damn near freezes up when the fighting starts in high-Q mdoe.
>
> Would more memory help? What else could I try to boost my rig? Or is it
> terminal med-Q for me?
>
> Thanks.

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

What resolution are you trying to run the game at? I'm suprised you can't
run the game smoothly. However in my own opinion more ram would help then
anything else.

Dan

"dvus" <dven1invalid@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> Nerdillius Maximus wrote:
> > "RonK" <I'mnuts@home.com> wrote in message
>
> >> If you are running XP then you need more memory. XP uses a lot of
> >> the memory and Doom 3 needs a lot as well. You should go up to 1 gig
> >> of memory.
> >
> > Yep. Doom 3 works best with a gig or more even under W2k, and it's
> > choppy and uglier under 98SE no matter how ya slice it...
> >
> > XP can be put on a serious Slim-Fast diet and it'll help a little. If
> > you have as few services running in the background as possible, and
> > no mile-wide taskbar with RealAnything, IM gar-bagio, or Weatherbug
> > or other spyware, file-sharing, folding clients, Windows Messenger
> > that deserves a quick death, or Automatic Update service poo running,
> > it gets better...
>
> XP seems to indicate that M$ OE needs Windows Messenger running to work
> properly. Many times I've closed IM only to have it re-load when I open
OE,
> and I have unticked the "Automatically Load Windows Messenger" box in the
> options menu. IM seems to be one of those things that won't go away.

Nope. Ya just gotta shoot it, is all ;-) Try www.grc.com, get the utility
"Shoot the Messenger". This is assuming you're referring to Windoze
Messaging (Spam) Service, not MSN Messenger with the little taskbar icon
that looks suspiciously like a chess pawn (oh, the arrogance!), which is
also somewhat pervasive but easy to get rid of. I don't use IM apps at all,
so it never gets installed in the first place. And you can stop its stub
from loading by looking under the "run" keys in the registry (right next to
RunOnce which is quicker to find, because there are a million instances of
"run" in the registry) and deleting that what you don't want to have running
on startup.

"Dan" <d@d.com> wrote in message
> What resolution are you trying to run the game at? I'm suprised you can't
> run the game smoothly. However in my own opinion more ram would help then
> anything else.

IME, I completely agree. When I replaced the two 256-meg sticks in the Jr.
box here with 512-meg sticks, 1024x768 high quality was a bit smoother, and
this is with a softmodded and mildly o/c'ed ATI 9500 non-pro. The ending
still hitched a little in a couple of places (prolly because it's a 128-meg
video card), but the rest of the game was very playable even with 2xAA, 8x
(high quality default) aniso, and this here box is only an Athlon XP "2600"
(2400, 143 MHz FSB) in a Nforce 1 mobo...

> Dan
>
> "Marcel Overweel" <moverweel@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > They say that 512MB *graphics* memory is 'recommended' to play doom 3 in
> > max. settings.
> > They probably made the game to last :)
> > For the rest, only things you probably know already:
> > Stop all unnecesary software.
> > Close msn/messenger.
> > Disable virusscanner.
> > Have yet to try the game on my new pentium 3.2 with 1Gig, but I can tell
> you
> > my 'olde' P2.8 with 512MB was also sloppy on High-Q. (having a Gainward
> > 6800GT).
> >
> > regards,
> > Marcel
> >

> > "Robert Oschler" <no-mail-please@nospam.com> schreef in bericht
> > > I am amazed at the difference in quality between high quality and med.
> > > quality modes using Doom 3. Unfortunately, my current rig won't cope
> with
> > > high-Q mode (3.0 GHz P4 with 512 MB ram) using my GeForce 6600 GT
card.
> > > Game damn near freezes up when the fighting starts in high-Q mdoe.
> > >
> > > Would more memory help? What else could I try to boost my rig? Or is
> it
> > > terminal med-Q for me?
> > >
> > > Thanks.

I think that was 1024x768.
Hmm, another thing, the nvidia drivers have an option to set things like
anti-aliasing and mipmapping to aplication controlled or to a fixed value.
You might try to fiddle with those a bit to see if that helps, I had
anti-aliasing on fixed 8x mode because that made some of the other games I
played a LOT more beautifull to watch (Myst Uru and Morrowind).

regards,
Marcel

"Dan" <d@d.com> wrote in message
> What resolution are you trying to run the game at? I'm suprised you can't
> run the game smoothly. However in my own opinion more ram would help then
> anything else.
>
> Dan
>
> "Marcel Overweel" <moverweel@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > They say that 512MB *graphics* memory is 'recommended' to play doom 3 in
> > max. settings.
> > They probably made the game to last :)
> > For the rest, only things you probably know already:
> > Stop all unnecesary software.
> > Close msn/messenger.
> > Disable virusscanner.
> > Have yet to try the game on my new pentium 3.2 with 1Gig, but I can tell
> you
> > my 'olde' P2.8 with 512MB was also sloppy on High-Q. (having a Gainward
> > 6800GT).
> >
> > regards,
> > Marcel
> >

> > "Robert Oschler" <no-mail-please@nospam.com> schreef in bericht
> > > I am amazed at the difference in quality between high quality and med.
> > > quality modes using Doom 3. Unfortunately, my current rig won't cope
> with
> > > high-Q mode (3.0 GHz P4 with 512 MB ram) using my GeForce 6600 GT
card.
> > > Game damn near freezes up when the fighting starts in high-Q mdoe.
> > >
> > > Would more memory help? What else could I try to boost my rig? Or is
> it
> > > terminal med-Q for me?
> > >
> > > Thanks.

>XP seems to indicate that M$ OE needs Windows Messenger running to work
>properly. Many times I've closed IM only to have it re-load when I open OE,
>and I have unticked the "Automatically Load Windows Messenger" box in the
>options menu. IM seems to be one of those things that won't go away.
>
>dvus

when you have it disabled, just goto program files, then rename the
messenger folder... i haven't seen that little bastard in a long
time...LOL

OverKlocker wrote:

>> XP seems to indicate that M$ OE needs Windows Messenger running to
>> work properly. Many times I've closed IM only to have it re-load
>> when I open OE, and I have unticked the "Automatically Load Windows
>> Messenger" box in the options menu. IM seems to be one of those
>> things that won't go away.
>>
> when you have it disabled, just goto program files, then rename the
> messenger folder... i haven't seen that little bastard in a long
> time...LOL

But do you use OE? I see you're using Forte Agent as a newsreader. When I
try to close Windows Messenger while reading Usenet with OE I get a message
that other apps are using WM and it won't close.

dvus