Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

GPU idle temperature

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
Anonymous
November 29, 2004 6:06:40 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Yesterday I installed my new Gigabyte graphic card GV-N68128DH (NVIDIA
GeForce 6800, passive cooling).
The GPU temperature reported by the the Gigabyte VGA utility V-tuner 2
is 77°C,170°F @ idle Windows desktop.
Is this a reasonable GPU idle temperature?
I started a 3D game, stopped it after 20 seconds and checked the temp
again: 86°C,186°F.
I think the temp would rise much higher within a couple of minutes.
I decided not to stress the GPU further without confirmation that this
is ok.

What's the maximum temperature for the GPU? Is there any "official limit"?

The video card gets a noticeable air stream from the CPU cooler (Zalman
CNPS7000B, 1800rpm). CPU temp is 37°C. MB temp is 28°C.

Any opinion?

Thanks,
Martin

More about : gpu idle temperature

Anonymous
November 29, 2004 6:29:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

That doesn't sound good.
My 6800gt gets around 56 degrees idle and 64-68 when playing games.

regards,
Marcel

"Martin Groepl" <martin.groepl@gmx.de> schreef in bericht
news:310onhF35hv64U1@uni-berlin.de...
> Yesterday I installed my new Gigabyte graphic card GV-N68128DH (NVIDIA
> GeForce 6800, passive cooling).
> The GPU temperature reported by the the Gigabyte VGA utility V-tuner 2
> is 77°C,170°F @ idle Windows desktop.
> Is this a reasonable GPU idle temperature?
> I started a 3D game, stopped it after 20 seconds and checked the temp
> again: 86°C,186°F.
> I think the temp would rise much higher within a couple of minutes.
> I decided not to stress the GPU further without confirmation that this
> is ok.
>
> What's the maximum temperature for the GPU? Is there any "official limit"?
>
> The video card gets a noticeable air stream from the CPU cooler (Zalman
> CNPS7000B, 1800rpm). CPU temp is 37°C. MB temp is 28°C.
>
> Any opinion?
>
> Thanks,
> Martin
Anonymous
November 29, 2004 7:00:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

"Marcel Overweel" <moverweel@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:41ab323c$0$36860$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl...
> That doesn't sound good.
> My 6800gt gets around 56 degrees idle and 64-68 when playing games.
>
> regards,
> Marcel
>
> "Martin Groepl" <martin.groepl@gmx.de> schreef in bericht
> news:310onhF35hv64U1@uni-berlin.de...
>> Yesterday I installed my new Gigabyte graphic card GV-N68128DH (NVIDIA
>> GeForce 6800, passive cooling).
>> The GPU temperature reported by the the Gigabyte VGA utility V-tuner 2
>> is 77°C,170°F @ idle Windows desktop.
>> Is this a reasonable GPU idle temperature?
>> I started a 3D game, stopped it after 20 seconds and checked the temp
>> again: 86°C,186°F.
>> I think the temp would rise much higher within a couple of minutes.
>> I decided not to stress the GPU further without confirmation that this
>> is ok.
>>
>> What's the maximum temperature for the GPU? Is there any "official
>> limit"?
>>
>> The video card gets a noticeable air stream from the CPU cooler (Zalman
>> CNPS7000B, 1800rpm). CPU temp is 37°C. MB temp is 28°C.
>>
>> Any opinion?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Martin
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
November 29, 2004 7:00:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

"Marcel Overweel" <moverweel@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:41ab323c$0$36860$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl...
> That doesn't sound good.
> My 6800gt gets around 56 degrees idle and 64-68 when playing games.


Mine runs 44C idle.
Anonymous
November 29, 2004 8:27:19 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

You could get that Zalman kit with a bracket and quiet fan that blows down
on the card. They say to use it with their own passive cooling when
installed on the more powerful cards.


--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.
Anonymous
November 30, 2004 1:00:32 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

"Martin Groepl" <martin.groepl@gmx.de> wrote in message
news:310onhF35hv64U1@uni-berlin.de...
> Yesterday I installed my new Gigabyte graphic card GV-N68128DH (NVIDIA
> GeForce 6800, passive cooling).
> The GPU temperature reported by the the Gigabyte VGA utility V-tuner 2 is
> 77°C,170°F @ idle Windows desktop.
> Is this a reasonable GPU idle temperature?
> I started a 3D game, stopped it after 20 seconds and checked the temp
> again: 86°C,186°F.
> I think the temp would rise much higher within a couple of minutes.
> I decided not to stress the GPU further without confirmation that this is
> ok.
>
> What's the maximum temperature for the GPU? Is there any "official limit"?
>
> The video card gets a noticeable air stream from the CPU cooler (Zalman
> CNPS7000B, 1800rpm). CPU temp is 37°C. MB temp is 28°C.
>
> Any opinion?
>
> Thanks,
> Martin

Far too high for idle. Mine is about 57C at idle, and 75C under full load
for a while.

Seems odd that it's getting so hot, if your case temp is kept at a
reasonable amount.

The 6800 has passive cooling only? No fan? That seems.. wrong.. for a 6800
unless it's a high end cooler or something.
Anonymous
November 30, 2004 1:17:31 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

"Martin Groepl" <martin.groepl@gmx.de> wrote in message
news:310onhF35hv64U1@uni-berlin.de...
> Yesterday I installed my new Gigabyte graphic card GV-N68128DH (NVIDIA
> GeForce 6800, passive cooling).
> The GPU temperature reported by the the Gigabyte VGA utility V-tuner 2
> is 77°C,170°F @ idle Windows desktop.
> Is this a reasonable GPU idle temperature?
> I started a 3D game, stopped it after 20 seconds and checked the temp
> again: 86°C,186°F.
> I think the temp would rise much higher within a couple of minutes.

Sounds OK to me. Mine is 80C idle, 93C playing game. I only have one case
fan tho.
Anonymous
November 30, 2004 2:17:31 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Mine is an Inno3D 6800GT. After I ran 3DMark05 for 10 times then I
started Nvidia's driver page (ver 66.93) which showed the GPU temp was
about 75 C while the ambient temp is about 52 C.

BigVoice

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 15:06:40 +0100, Martin Groepl
<martin.groepl@gmx.de> wrote:

>Yesterday I installed my new Gigabyte graphic card GV-N68128DH (NVIDIA
>GeForce 6800, passive cooling).
>The GPU temperature reported by the the Gigabyte VGA utility V-tuner 2
>is 77°C,170°F @ idle Windows desktop.
>Is this a reasonable GPU idle temperature?
>I started a 3D game, stopped it after 20 seconds and checked the temp
>again: 86°C,186°F.
>I think the temp would rise much higher within a couple of minutes.
>I decided not to stress the GPU further without confirmation that this
>is ok.
>
>What's the maximum temperature for the GPU? Is there any "official limit"?
>
>The video card gets a noticeable air stream from the CPU cooler (Zalman
>CNPS7000B, 1800rpm). CPU temp is 37°C. MB temp is 28°C.
>
>Any opinion?
>
>Thanks,
>Martin
November 30, 2004 2:17:32 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

My advice would be play a game for a while. If it freezes the card is
probably overheating. If not, then It'll be fine. Passively cooled cards are
going to run hotter than ones that are not.

Dan

"BigVoice" <intervoice@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:D 4fmq055re70mdaqv9o8c8tlgfaqvdvh9k@4ax.com...
> Mine is an Inno3D 6800GT. After I ran 3DMark05 for 10 times then I
> started Nvidia's driver page (ver 66.93) which showed the GPU temp was
> about 75 C while the ambient temp is about 52 C.
>
> BigVoice
>
> On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 15:06:40 +0100, Martin Groepl
> <martin.groepl@gmx.de> wrote:
>
> >Yesterday I installed my new Gigabyte graphic card GV-N68128DH (NVIDIA
> >GeForce 6800, passive cooling).
> >The GPU temperature reported by the the Gigabyte VGA utility V-tuner 2
> >is 77°C,170°F @ idle Windows desktop.
> >Is this a reasonable GPU idle temperature?
> >I started a 3D game, stopped it after 20 seconds and checked the temp
> >again: 86°C,186°F.
> >I think the temp would rise much higher within a couple of minutes.
> >I decided not to stress the GPU further without confirmation that this
> >is ok.
> >
> >What's the maximum temperature for the GPU? Is there any "official
limit"?
> >
> >The video card gets a noticeable air stream from the CPU cooler (Zalman
> >CNPS7000B, 1800rpm). CPU temp is 37°C. MB temp is 28°C.
> >
> >Any opinion?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Martin
>
Anonymous
November 30, 2004 6:53:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

"RaceFace" <nospam@myplace.com> wrote in message
news:p fSqd.3892$Yf5.21219@news1.mts.net...
>
>
> "Martin Groepl" <martin.groepl@gmx.de> wrote in message
> news:310onhF35hv64U1@uni-berlin.de...
>> Yesterday I installed my new Gigabyte graphic card GV-N68128DH (NVIDIA
>> GeForce 6800, passive cooling).
>> The GPU temperature reported by the the Gigabyte VGA utility V-tuner 2 is
>> 77°C,170°F @ idle Windows desktop.
>> Is this a reasonable GPU idle temperature?
>> I started a 3D game, stopped it after 20 seconds and checked the temp
>> again: 86°C,186°F.
>> I think the temp would rise much higher within a couple of minutes.
>> I decided not to stress the GPU further without confirmation that this is
>> ok.
>>
>> What's the maximum temperature for the GPU? Is there any "official
>> limit"?
>>
>> The video card gets a noticeable air stream from the CPU cooler (Zalman
>> CNPS7000B, 1800rpm). CPU temp is 37°C. MB temp is 28°C.
>>
>> Any opinion?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Martin
>
> Far too high for idle. Mine is about 57C at idle, and 75C under full load
> for a while.
>
> Seems odd that it's getting so hot, if your case temp is kept at a
> reasonable amount.
>
> The 6800 has passive cooling only? No fan? That seems.. wrong.. for a
> 6800 unless it's a high end cooler or something.
>
>

It should have a Fan with HeatSink.

CapFusion,...
November 30, 2004 11:23:44 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Martin Groepl wrote:
> Yesterday I installed my new Gigabyte graphic card GV-N68128DH (NVIDIA
> GeForce 6800, passive cooling).
> The GPU temperature reported by the the Gigabyte VGA utility V-tuner 2
> is 77°C,170°F @ idle Windows desktop.
> Is this a reasonable GPU idle temperature?
> I started a 3D game, stopped it after 20 seconds and checked the temp
> again: 86°C,186°F.
> I think the temp would rise much higher within a couple of minutes.
> I decided not to stress the GPU further without confirmation that this
> is ok.
>
> What's the maximum temperature for the GPU? Is there any "official
> limit"?
> The video card gets a noticeable air stream from the CPU cooler
> (Zalman CNPS7000B, 1800rpm). CPU temp is 37°C. MB temp is 28°C.
>

In reaction to your last remark: my Ti4200 actually gets hotter by the
airflow of my CPU cooler.
To compare: with both CPU and GPU as idle as possible and GPU fan at full
speed.
1. CPU fan near stall speed (7-800 rpm), CPU temp 44C, GPU temp 44-45C, MB
temp 25C
2. CPU fan full speed (3700 rpm), CPU temp 42C, GPU temp 50-51C, MB temp 25C
Thats an extra 6C on the videocard due to the CPU fan.
Try reducing the rpm's on your CPU cooler if you can and see what the temp
on the videocard does.
A friend of mine has a case with somesort of 'chimney' which takes the
airflow of the CPU cooler directly out of the case through a perforation in
the side of the case.

regards, Ronald
Anonymous
December 3, 2004 4:33:43 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 22:17:31 GMT, "Ar Q"
<ArthurQ283@hottmail.com> wrote:

>
>"Martin Groepl" <martin.groepl@gmx.de> wrote in message
>news:310onhF35hv64U1@uni-berlin.de...
>> Yesterday I installed my new Gigabyte graphic card GV-N68128DH (NVIDIA
>> GeForce 6800, passive cooling).
>> The GPU temperature reported by the the Gigabyte VGA utility V-tuner 2
>> is 77°C,170°F @ idle Windows desktop.
>> Is this a reasonable GPU idle temperature?
>> I started a 3D game, stopped it after 20 seconds and checked the temp
>> again: 86°C,186°F.
>> I think the temp would rise much higher within a couple of minutes.
>
>Sounds OK to me. Mine is 80C idle, 93C playing game. I only have one case
>fan tho.
>

sounds ok for me, especially that it is a completely passive
cooled card.

make sure you have no obstructions in your case and a clean
Airflow.

I also ordered this card, and want it badly, but here in
germany everything takes a little while longer!

waaahhhh

Georg
Germany
Anonymous
December 3, 2004 8:28:00 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Luc Monod wrote:

[snip]
> Being a smoker and owning a cat, I clean up most of the mobo, cards
> etc. with a vacuum (don't use compressed air, you're just moving grit
> around to places you can't clean) and a can of contact cleaner (or
> find some alcohol that is safe for electronics).

You wanna be careful with that contact cleaner around your PC. It will
attack certain types of plastic, turning some of them to mush. Also, it will
immediately chill whatever it's sprayed on due to pressure change and rapid
evaporation and the resultant localized contraction of parts can crack some
things wide open.

dvus
Anonymous
December 6, 2004 11:42:48 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

"dvus" <dven1invalid@adelphia.net> wrote in message
news:31c7jbF37qflgU1@individual.net...
> Luc Monod wrote:
>
> [snip]
> > Being a smoker and owning a cat, I clean up most of the mobo, cards
> > etc. with a vacuum (don't use compressed air, you're just moving grit
> > around to places you can't clean) and a can of contact cleaner (or
> > find some alcohol that is safe for electronics).
>
> You wanna be careful with that contact cleaner around your PC. It will
> attack certain types of plastic, turning some of them to mush. Also, it
will
> immediately chill whatever it's sprayed on due to pressure change and
rapid
> evaporation and the resultant localized contraction of parts can crack
some
> things wide open.
>
> dvus

Good point!

That's why at an old job of mine I would bring my tower into work, take it
apart and dunk in into a large PCB cleaning vat of alcohol.
But my guess is not many ppl have access to that :) 
!