Adobe Premiere and 6600 GT?

I have a 6600 GT (8 x AGP). I have two questions:

1) Do video editing software packages make use of the processing power of a
graphics card like the 6600 GT? Or are the rendering facilities of a
graphics card of no use to the 6600 GT? Said differently, can I expect a
significant boost in Premiere's rendering speed or not?

2) The 6600 GT card say it comes with an on-board video encoder. Can the
6600 GT capture video from a handheld video recorder, if the recorder has
S-video output?

Thanks.
6 answers Last reply
More about adobe premiere 6600

    Not knowing much about it, I thought that the card will do hardware encoding
    and decoding of videos, but the right drivers and maybe something extra have
    to be installed.

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at
    uce@ftc.gov
    Thanks, robots.

    >I have a 6600 GT (8 x AGP). I have two questions:

    Happy guy :)

    > 1) Do video editing software packages make use of the processing power of
    > graphics card like the 6600 GT?

    No.

    > Said differently, can I expect a
    > significant boost in Premiere's rendering speed or not?

    Not.

    > 2) The 6600 GT card say it comes with an on-board video encoder. Can the
    > 6600 GT capture video from a handheld video recorder, if the recorder has
    > S-video output?

    Only if it has video input (VIVO version).

    Mirek

    "Mirek Fídler" <cxl@volny.cz> wrote in message
    > >I have a 6600 GT (8 x AGP). I have two questions:
    >
    > > 2) The 6600 GT card say it comes with an on-board video encoder. Can
    the
    > > 6600 GT capture video from a handheld video recorder, if the recorder
    has
    > > S-video output?
    >
    > Only if it has video input (VIVO version).
    >
    > Mirek

    Mirek,

    How can I tell if it has the VIVO version? The manuals are combo manuals
    for the several different boards and are confusing. The picture for the
    6600 card shows an S-video connector between two DVI connectors which matchs
    my layout, but it says VIVO optional next to it. So I can't tell if that
    means the port is optional, which in that case would mean I do have VIVO
    functionality because I do have an S-video port, or that the VIVO
    functionality *for* that port is optional and that I may not have it.

    I have the SandraSoft diagnostic utilities. Is there anything I can look
    for in either the Video information report or the DirectX report that would
    tell me whether or not VIVO functionality is detected?

    Thanks.

    > How can I tell if it has the VIVO version? The manuals are combo manuals
    > for the several different boards and are confusing. The picture for the
    > 6600 card shows an S-video connector between two DVI connectors which
    > matchs
    > my layout, but it says VIVO optional next to it. So I can't tell if that
    > means the port is optional, which in that case would mean I do have VIVO
    > functionality because I do have an S-video port, or that the VIVO
    > functionality *for* that port is optional and that I may not have it.
    >
    > I have the SandraSoft diagnostic utilities. Is there anything I can look
    > for in either the Video information report or the DirectX report that
    > would
    > tell me whether or not VIVO functionality is detected?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Hi Robert,

    Which brand of 6600 do you have ?
    Usually VIVO models have 'VIVO' in the model number.
    Tell us the brand and model number and we can probably tell you if its VIVO

    cheers

    Ian

    Robert Oschler wrote:

    > "Mirek Fídler" <cxl@volny.cz> wrote in message
    >
    >>>I have a 6600 GT (8 x AGP). I have two questions:
    >>
    >>>2) The 6600 GT card say it comes with an on-board video encoder. Can
    >
    > the
    >
    >>>6600 GT capture video from a handheld video recorder, if the recorder
    >
    > has
    >
    >>>S-video output?
    >>
    >>Only if it has video input (VIVO version).
    >>
    >>Mirek
    >

    > Mirek,
    >
    > How can I tell if it has the VIVO version? The manuals are combo manuals
    > for the several different boards and are confusing. The picture for the
    > 6600 card shows an S-video connector between two DVI connectors which matchs
    > my layout, but it says VIVO optional next to it. So I can't tell if that
    > means the port is optional, which in that case would mean I do have VIVO
    > functionality because I do have an S-video port, or that the VIVO
    > functionality *for* that port is optional and that I may not have it.
    >
    > I have the SandraSoft diagnostic utilities. Is there anything I can look
    > for in either the Video information report or the DirectX report that would
    > tell me whether or not VIVO functionality is detected?
    >
    > Thanks.

    If you have VIVO, you'll have splitter/dongle which plugs into the DIN
    plug on the card. This splitter will give you S-Video/composite in/out.
    If the plug on yer card is directly an S-Video, 'tis a TV out only.

    "Robert Oschler" <no-mail-please@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > "Mirek Fídler" <cxl@volny.cz> wrote in message
    >> >I have a 6600 GT (8 x AGP). I have two questions:
    >>
    >> > 2) The 6600 GT card say it comes with an on-board video encoder. Can
    > the
    >> > 6600 GT capture video from a handheld video recorder, if the recorder
    > has
    >> > S-video output?
    >>
    >> Only if it has video input (VIVO version).
    >>
    >> Mirek
    >
    > Mirek,
    >
    > How can I tell if it has the VIVO version? The manuals are combo manuals
    > for the several different boards and are confusing. The picture for the
    > 6600 card shows an S-video connector between two DVI connectors which
    > matchs
    > my layout, but it says VIVO optional next to it. So I can't tell if that
    > means the port is optional, which in that case would mean I do have VIVO
    > functionality because I do have an S-video port, or that the VIVO
    > functionality *for* that port is optional and that I may not have it.
    >
    > I have the SandraSoft diagnostic utilities. Is there anything I can look
    > for in either the Video information report or the DirectX report that
    > would
    > tell me whether or not VIVO functionality is detected?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Your DIN should have 9pins for ViVo. The dongle cable should have 4
    [2SVideo(in/out) / 2 Composite(in/out)] head that should be included with
    the package.

    Your card should have a manufacturer model label that would indicate on it.
    Check out the model, you then can find what spec. / feature your card
    available.

    CapFusion,...

Nvidia Adobe Premiere Video Graphics Cards Graphics