Adobe Premiere and 6600 GT?

I have a 6600 GT (8 x AGP). I have two questions:

1) Do video editing software packages make use of the processing power of a
graphics card like the 6600 GT? Or are the rendering facilities of a
graphics card of no use to the 6600 GT? Said differently, can I expect a
significant boost in Premiere's rendering speed or not?

2) The 6600 GT card say it comes with an on-board video encoder. Can the
6600 GT capture video from a handheld video recorder, if the recorder has
S-video output?

Thanks.

Not knowing much about it, I thought that the card will do hardware encoding
and decoding of videos, but the right drivers and maybe something extra have
to be installed.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

>I have a 6600 GT (8 x AGP). I have two questions:

Happy guy :)

> 1) Do video editing software packages make use of the processing power of
> graphics card like the 6600 GT?

No.

> Said differently, can I expect a
> significant boost in Premiere's rendering speed or not?

Not.

> 2) The 6600 GT card say it comes with an on-board video encoder. Can the
> 6600 GT capture video from a handheld video recorder, if the recorder has
> S-video output?

Only if it has video input (VIVO version).

Mirek

"Mirek Fídler" <cxl@volny.cz> wrote in message
> >I have a 6600 GT (8 x AGP). I have two questions:
>
> > 2) The 6600 GT card say it comes with an on-board video encoder. Can
the
> > 6600 GT capture video from a handheld video recorder, if the recorder
has
> > S-video output?
>
> Only if it has video input (VIVO version).
>
> Mirek

Mirek,

How can I tell if it has the VIVO version? The manuals are combo manuals
for the several different boards and are confusing. The picture for the
6600 card shows an S-video connector between two DVI connectors which matchs
my layout, but it says VIVO optional next to it. So I can't tell if that
means the port is optional, which in that case would mean I do have VIVO
functionality because I do have an S-video port, or that the VIVO
functionality *for* that port is optional and that I may not have it.

I have the SandraSoft diagnostic utilities. Is there anything I can look
for in either the Video information report or the DirectX report that would
tell me whether or not VIVO functionality is detected?

Thanks.

Ian

> How can I tell if it has the VIVO version? The manuals are combo manuals
> for the several different boards and are confusing. The picture for the
> 6600 card shows an S-video connector between two DVI connectors which
> matchs
> my layout, but it says VIVO optional next to it. So I can't tell if that
> means the port is optional, which in that case would mean I do have VIVO
> functionality because I do have an S-video port, or that the VIVO
> functionality *for* that port is optional and that I may not have it.
>
> I have the SandraSoft diagnostic utilities. Is there anything I can look
> for in either the Video information report or the DirectX report that
> would
> tell me whether or not VIVO functionality is detected?
>
> Thanks.

Hi Robert,

Which brand of 6600 do you have ?
Usually VIVO models have 'VIVO' in the model number.
Tell us the brand and model number and we can probably tell you if its VIVO

cheers

Ian

Robert Oschler wrote:

> "Mirek Fídler" <cxl@volny.cz> wrote in message
>
>>>I have a 6600 GT (8 x AGP). I have two questions:
>>
>>>2) The 6600 GT card say it comes with an on-board video encoder. Can
>
> the
>
>>>6600 GT capture video from a handheld video recorder, if the recorder
>
> has
>
>>>S-video output?
>>
>>Only if it has video input (VIVO version).
>>
>>Mirek
>

> Mirek,
>
> How can I tell if it has the VIVO version? The manuals are combo manuals
> for the several different boards and are confusing. The picture for the
> 6600 card shows an S-video connector between two DVI connectors which matchs
> my layout, but it says VIVO optional next to it. So I can't tell if that
> means the port is optional, which in that case would mean I do have VIVO
> functionality because I do have an S-video port, or that the VIVO
> functionality *for* that port is optional and that I may not have it.
>
> I have the SandraSoft diagnostic utilities. Is there anything I can look
> for in either the Video information report or the DirectX report that would
> tell me whether or not VIVO functionality is detected?
>
> Thanks.

If you have VIVO, you'll have splitter/dongle which plugs into the DIN
plug on the card. This splitter will give you S-Video/composite in/out.
If the plug on yer card is directly an S-Video, 'tis a TV out only.

"Robert Oschler" <no-mail-please@nospam.com> wrote in message
> "Mirek Fídler" <cxl@volny.cz> wrote in message
>> >I have a 6600 GT (8 x AGP). I have two questions:
>>
>> > 2) The 6600 GT card say it comes with an on-board video encoder. Can
> the
>> > 6600 GT capture video from a handheld video recorder, if the recorder
> has
>> > S-video output?
>>
>> Only if it has video input (VIVO version).
>>
>> Mirek
>
> Mirek,
>
> How can I tell if it has the VIVO version? The manuals are combo manuals
> for the several different boards and are confusing. The picture for the
> 6600 card shows an S-video connector between two DVI connectors which
> matchs
> my layout, but it says VIVO optional next to it. So I can't tell if that
> means the port is optional, which in that case would mean I do have VIVO
> functionality because I do have an S-video port, or that the VIVO
> functionality *for* that port is optional and that I may not have it.
>
> I have the SandraSoft diagnostic utilities. Is there anything I can look
> for in either the Video information report or the DirectX report that
> would
> tell me whether or not VIVO functionality is detected?
>
> Thanks.

Your DIN should have 9pins for ViVo. The dongle cable should have 4
[2SVideo(in/out) / 2 Composite(in/out)] head that should be included with
the package.

Your card should have a manufacturer model label that would indicate on it.
Check out the model, you then can find what spec. / feature your card
available.

CapFusion,...