XFX Geforce 6600 PCI-E

I have just built a new system (P4, 1Gb RAM) using one of these boards. Yes,
it kicks ass with games like HL2, but there is a problem.

In GTA3/Vice City, I cannot change the resolution. It's fixed at 640x480
with 16 colours. Most annoying!!

BTW, I am using the proper Nvidia drivers, not those that came with the
card.

Anyone got any ideas what's wrong?

Thanks.

--
No Sig Yet

"Carl Waring" <carl.waring@YELLOWyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>I have just built a new system (P4, 1Gb RAM) using one of these boards.
>Yes,
> it kicks ass with games like HL2, but there is a problem.
>
> In GTA3/Vice City, I cannot change the resolution. It's fixed at 640x480
> with 16 colours. Most annoying!!
>
> BTW, I am using the proper Nvidia drivers, not those that came with the
> card.
>
> Anyone got any ideas what's wrong?
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> No Sig Yet

Interesting.....
Out of curiousity, can you change resolution outside of the game, like from
Display Properties from Windows?
You stated you use nVidia driver, what version do you have?

CapFusion,...

Yes, everything else is normal. Screen-res currsntly 1152x864 @ 32-bit.

> You stated you use nVidia driver, what version do you have?
The very latest :) Only just got the card! v6.14.10.6693

--
Still no sig. here

>> Interesting.....
>> Out of curiousity, can you change resolution outside of the game, like
> from
>> Display Properties from Windows?
> Yes, everything else is normal. Screen-res currsntly 1152x864 @ 32-bit.
>
>> You stated you use nVidia driver, what version do you have?
> The very latest :) Only just got the card! v6.14.10.6693
>
> --
> Still no sig. here

By any chance your MoBo have a built-in display adapter? If so, can you
disable it from either the BIOS or by jumper?
If not, can you set your PCI-E as primary or itialization first?

You stated your desktop can be adjust to a * 1152x864 @ 32-bit.* but not in
the game. This tell me or I assume the game is detect the first or the wrong
display adaptor.

You may try to uncheck "Enable write combine* to see if it may any
differences.
This option is in Troubleshoot from Display Properties > Advanced.

> >> Interesting.....
> >> Out of curiousity, can you change resolution outside of the game, like
> > from
> >> Display Properties from Windows?
> > Yes, everything else is normal. Screen-res currsntly 1152x864 @ 32-bit.
> >
> >> You stated you use nVidia driver, what version do you have?
> > The very latest :) Only just got the card! v6.14.10.6693
> >
> By any chance your MoBo have a built-in display adapter? If so, can you
> disable it from either the BIOS or by jumper?
It does have on-board GFX, but I am sure they have been disabled.
As it happens, it's one of these beauties:
http://uk.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=P5GD1-VM

> If not, can you set your PCI-E as primary or itialization first?
This is already done too.

> You stated your desktop can be adjust to a * 1152x864 @ 32-bit.* but not
in
> the game. This tell me or I assume the game is detect the first or the
wrong
> display adaptor.
Only the one (NVidia 6600) is showing in Device Manager.

> You may try to uncheck "Enable write combine* to see if it may any
> differences.
> This option is in Troubleshoot from Display Properties > Advanced.
Okay. Will try that.

Many thanks for your assistance. I did email XFX (the card's manufacturer)
but have not heard back yet.

--
Sig Site For Rent

> "CapFusion" <CapFusion.Yo.@hotmail.Hehe@CrazyJunk.Com> wrote in message
>> > from
>> > Yes, everything else is normal. Screen-res currsntly 1152x864 @ 32-bit.

>> > The very latest :) Only just got the card! v6.14.10.6693
>> >
>> By any chance your MoBo have a built-in display adapter? If so, can you
>> disable it from either the BIOS or by jumper?
> It does have on-board GFX, but I am sure they have been disabled.
> As it happens, it's one of these beauties:
> http://uk.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=P5GD1-VM
>
>> If not, can you set your PCI-E as primary or itialization first?
> This is already done too.
>
>> You stated your desktop can be adjust to a * 1152x864 @ 32-bit.* but not
> in
>> the game. This tell me or I assume the game is detect the first or the
> wrong
>> display adaptor.
> Only the one (NVidia 6600) is showing in Device Manager.
>
>> You may try to uncheck "Enable write combine* to see if it may any
>> differences.
>> This option is in Troubleshoot from Display Properties > Advanced.
> Okay. Will try that.
>
> Many thanks for your assistance. I did email XFX (the card's manufacturer)
> but have not heard back yet.
>
> --
> Sig Site For Rent

BIOS - P5GD1-VM
1 - Set "Internal Graphic Priority" > PCI/PCI Express
1a. PCI Express / PCI
Try either way to see if make any difference.
2 - Set "Internal Graphic Mode Select" > Disble
3 - Allocate IRQ to PCI VGA > Yes

Maybe these above may help, especially #3.
I deal some of these board before. I do not see problem using any
PCI-Express card.

> "Carl Waring" <carl.waring@YELLOWyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> > "CapFusion" <CapFusion.Yo.@hotmail.Hehe@CrazyJunk.Com> wrote in message

> >> By any chance your MoBo have a built-in display adapter? If so, can you
> >> disable it from either the BIOS or by jumper?
> > It does have on-board GFX, but I am sure they have been disabled.
> > As it happens, it's one of these beauties:
> > http://uk.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=P5GD1-VM
> >
> >> If not, can you set your PCI-E as primary or itialization first?
> > This is already done too.
> >
> >> You stated your desktop can be adjust to a * 1152x864 @ 32-bit.* but
not
> > in
> >> the game. This tell me or I assume the game is detect the first or the
> > wrong
> >> display adaptor.
> > Only the one (NVidia 6600) is showing in Device Manager.
> >
> >> You may try to uncheck "Enable write combine* to see if it may any
> >> differences.
> >> This option is in Troubleshoot from Display Properties > Advanced.
> > Okay. Will try that.
> >
> > Many thanks for your assistance. I did email XFX (the card's
manufacturer)
> > but have not heard back yet.
> >
> > --
> > Sig Site For Rent
> >

> BIOS - P5GD1-VM
> 1 - Set "Internal Graphic Priority" > PCI/PCI Express
> 1a. PCI Express / PCI
> Try either way to see if make any difference.
> 2 - Set "Internal Graphic Mode Select" > Disble
> 3 - Allocate IRQ to PCI VGA > Yes
>
> Maybe these above may help, especially #3.
> I deal some of these board before. I do not see problem using any
> PCI-Express card.

YES!!! Thank-you!!! 2 and 3 were already set as you mentioned so I can only
assume that changing 1 from PCI-E/Internal to PCI/PCI-E is what did the
trick.

Nice one :)

--

> "CapFusion" <CapFusion.Yo.@hotmail.Hehe@CrazyJunk.Com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Carl Waring" <carl.waring@YELLOWyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>> > "CapFusion" <CapFusion.Yo.@hotmail.Hehe@CrazyJunk.Com> wrote in message
> like
> 32-bit.

>> > It does have on-board GFX, but I am sure they have been disabled.
>> > As it happens, it's one of these beauties:
>> > http://uk.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=P5GD1-VM

>> > This is already done too.

> not
>> > in
>> > wrong
>> > Only the one (NVidia 6600) is showing in Device Manager.

>> > Okay. Will try that.
>> >
>> > Many thanks for your assistance. I did email XFX (the card's
> manufacturer)
>> > but have not heard back yet.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Sig Site For Rent
>> >

>> BIOS - P5GD1-VM
>> 1 - Set "Internal Graphic Priority" > PCI/PCI Express
>> 1a. PCI Express / PCI
>> Try either way to see if make any difference.
>> 2 - Set "Internal Graphic Mode Select" > Disble
>> 3 - Allocate IRQ to PCI VGA > Yes
>>
>> Maybe these above may help, especially #3.
>> I deal some of these board before. I do not see problem using any
>> PCI-Express card.
>
> YES!!! Thank-you!!! 2 and 3 were already set as you mentioned so I can
> only
> assume that changing 1 from PCI-E/Internal to PCI/PCI-E is what did the
> trick.
>
> Nice one :)
>
> --
> No Sig Yet