Ti4400 won't run Direct3D full screen

Running windows 98se, and a TI4400. Runs ok with 53.04 drivers but all
drivers past that from 56.64 on into the 6X.XX drivers will not run
Direct3D, in the Directx Diag pgm, nor in any games.

Is there anyone out therw who can help me?

I am running an AMDXP 2400 chip, with 384 ram and a gigabyte MOBO.

I have seen this complaint on many forums and board, but have not yet
seen an answer that will solve the problem.

ANy help is most appreciated, thanks

"Bernie Bildman" <bbildman@hiwaay.net> wrote in message
> Running windows 98se, and a TI4400. Runs ok with 53.04 drivers but all
> drivers past that from 56.64 on into the 6X.XX drivers will not run
> Direct3D, in the Directx Diag pgm, nor in any games.
>
> Is there anyone out therw who can help me?
>
> I am running an AMDXP 2400 chip, with 384 ram and a gigabyte MOBO.
>
> I have seen this complaint on many forums and board, but have not yet
> seen an answer that will solve the problem.
>
> ANy help is most appreciated, thanks

Do your MoBo use a VIA chipset? If so, can you update it?

CapFusion,...

SP

i had a similar problem with my dads machine. as he just uses it, it's my
job to keep it up and running. the TNT2 (yes i know) wouldn't boot direct3d
games at all. this was running win 2000 pro but i would say the problem
invloves windows 98. a reinstall solved my problem but in the case of win98
i aint so sure

hope this helps

sp
"Bernie Bildman" <bbildman@hiwaay.net> wrote in message
> Running windows 98se, and a TI4400. Runs ok with 53.04 drivers but all
> drivers past that from 56.64 on into the 6X.XX drivers will not run
> Direct3D, in the Directx Diag pgm, nor in any games.
>
> Is there anyone out therw who can help me?
>
> I am running an AMDXP 2400 chip, with 384 ram and a gigabyte MOBO.
>
> I have seen this complaint on many forums and board, but have not yet
> seen an answer that will solve the problem.
>
> ANy help is most appreciated, thanks

Yes, it DOES have a VIA chipset, and as far as I can tell it's the latest drivers.

Any other help is appreciated.

"CapFusion" <CapFusion.Yo.@hotmail.Hehe@CrazyJunk.Com> wrote in message news:<LbWdndvaJKxLjzDcRVn-uQ@megapath.net>...
> "Bernie Bildman" <bbildman@hiwaay.net> wrote in message
> > Running windows 98se, and a TI4400. Runs ok with 53.04 drivers but all
> > drivers past that from 56.64 on into the 6X.XX drivers will not run
> > Direct3D, in the Directx Diag pgm, nor in any games.
> >
> > Is there anyone out therw who can help me?
> >
> > I am running an AMDXP 2400 chip, with 384 ram and a gigabyte MOBO.
> >
> > I have seen this complaint on many forums and board, but have not yet
> > seen an answer that will solve the problem.
> >
> > ANy help is most appreciated, thanks
>
> Do your MoBo use a VIA chipset? If so, can you update it?
>
> CapFusion,...

Can you uninstall and reinstall the VIA utilities driver. Then reinstall the
nVidia driver?
Use Driver Cleaner if need -
http://www.driverheaven.net/cleaner/

CapFusion,...

> Yes, it DOES have a VIA chipset, and as far as I can tell it's the latest
> drivers.
>
> Any other help is appreciated.
>
> "CapFusion" <CapFusion.Yo.@hotmail.Hehe@CrazyJunk.Com> wrote in message
>> "Bernie Bildman" <bbildman@hiwaay.net> wrote in message
>> > Running windows 98se, and a TI4400. Runs ok with 53.04 drivers but all
>> > drivers past that from 56.64 on into the 6X.XX drivers will not run
>> > Direct3D, in the Directx Diag pgm, nor in any games.
>> >
>> > Is there anyone out therw who can help me?
>> >
>> > I am running an AMDXP 2400 chip, with 384 ram and a gigabyte MOBO.
>> >
>> > I have seen this complaint on many forums and board, but have not yet
>> > seen an answer that will solve the problem.
>> >
>> > ANy help is most appreciated, thanks
>>
>> Do your MoBo use a VIA chipset? If so, can you update it?
>>
>> CapFusion,...

How long since you've clean installed? Might be conflicts with parts of
older drivers left lying around.
You can also find programs on the internet that remove files of the driver
the uninstall program files to, google it.

"Nicholas Buenk" <morn@tpg.com.au> wrote in message news:<41add760@dnews.tpgi.com.au>...
> How long since you've clean installed? Might be conflicts with parts of
> older drivers left lying around.
> You can also find programs on the internet that remove files of the driver
> the uninstall program files to, google it.
> "Bernie Bildman" <bbildman@hiwaay.net> wrote in message
> > Running windows 98se, and a TI4400. Runs ok with 53.04 drivers but all
> > drivers past that from 56.64 on into the 6X.XX drivers will not run
> > Direct3D, in the Directx Diag pgm, nor in any games.
> >
> > Is there anyone out therw who can help me?
> >
> > I am running an AMDXP 2400 chip, with 384 ram and a gigabyte MOBO.
> >
> > I have seen this complaint on many forums and board, but have not yet
> > seen an answer that will solve the problem.
> >
> > ANy help is most appreciated, thanks

What's interesting is that I have the exact same system at work, only
with the TI200 Nvidia card, and AM using the 61.76 drivers....and all
works fine. I have reinstalled the patest Via drivers, installed the
61.76 Nvidia drivers and when I get to the full screen DirectDraw AND
the DirectX full screen tests, the image appears (white box in DD and
the cube in Direct3D is frozen with no movement, and I have to reboot
the maching.

I CAN reinstall the 61.76 and also the 53.drivers. When the 53.04
drivers are installed the Dirext testing does just fine, under 61.76
it's a no go.

I appreciate all the help here, and I WOULD like to solve this. I am
going to use the driver cleaner and try to do a virgin install of the
61.76 drivers again. In the meantime, any more help and direction is
certainly appreciated

ok, here's the results to cleaning the Nvidia files and doing a clean
install of 61.76....

..............same result. No full screen DirectDraw nor any Direct3D
and games that use it will not work.

53.04 works fine. The main reason I want to go into the forcewar
dreivers is that many of the games insist on many of their funtions. I
do not understand why the Ti200 WILl work and the TI4400 will not.

Help....!!!!

"Nicholas Buenk" <morn@tpg.com.au> wrote in message news:<41add760@dnews.tpgi.com.au>...
> How long since you've clean installed? Might be conflicts with parts of
> older drivers left lying around.
> You can also find programs on the internet that remove files of the driver
> the uninstall program files to, google it.
> "Bernie Bildman" <bbildman@hiwaay.net> wrote in message
> > Running windows 98se, and a TI4400. Runs ok with 53.04 drivers but all
> > drivers past that from 56.64 on into the 6X.XX drivers will not run
> > Direct3D, in the Directx Diag pgm, nor in any games.
> >
> > Is there anyone out therw who can help me?
> >
> > I am running an AMDXP 2400 chip, with 384 ram and a gigabyte MOBO.
> >
> > I have seen this complaint on many forums and board, but have not yet
> > seen an answer that will solve the problem.
> >
> > ANy help is most appreciated, thanks

OK try a clean install.
> ok, here's the results to cleaning the Nvidia files and doing a clean
> install of 61.76....
>
> .............same result. No full screen DirectDraw nor any Direct3D
> and games that use it will not work.
>
> 53.04 works fine. The main reason I want to go into the forcewar
> dreivers is that many of the games insist on many of their funtions. I
> do not understand why the Ti200 WILl work and the TI4400 will not.
>
> Help....!!!!
>
> "Nicholas Buenk" <morn@tpg.com.au> wrote in message
>> How long since you've clean installed? Might be conflicts with parts of
>> older drivers left lying around.
>> You can also find programs on the internet that remove files of the
>> driver
>> the uninstall program files to, google it.
>> "Bernie Bildman" <bbildman@hiwaay.net> wrote in message
>> > Running windows 98se, and a TI4400. Runs ok with 53.04 drivers but all
>> > drivers past that from 56.64 on into the 6X.XX drivers will not run
>> > Direct3D, in the Directx Diag pgm, nor in any games.
>> >
>> > Is there anyone out therw who can help me?
>> >
>> > I am running an AMDXP 2400 chip, with 384 ram and a gigabyte MOBO.
>> >
>> > I have seen this complaint on many forums and board, but have not yet
>> > seen an answer that will solve the problem.
>> >
>> > ANy help is most appreciated, thanks

FeedBack?
How is it?

CapFusion,...

> OK try a clean install.
> "Bernie Bildman" <bbildman@hiwaay.net> wrote in message
>> ok, here's the results to cleaning the Nvidia files and doing a clean
>> install of 61.76....
>>
>> .............same result. No full screen DirectDraw nor any Direct3D
>> and games that use it will not work.
>>
>> 53.04 works fine. The main reason I want to go into the forcewar
>> dreivers is that many of the games insist on many of their funtions. I
>> do not understand why the Ti200 WILl work and the TI4400 will not.
>>
>> Help....!!!!
>>
>> "Nicholas Buenk" <morn@tpg.com.au> wrote in message
>>> How long since you've clean installed? Might be conflicts with parts of
>>> older drivers left lying around.
>>> You can also find programs on the internet that remove files of the
>>> driver
>>> the uninstall program files to, google it.
>>> "Bernie Bildman" <bbildman@hiwaay.net> wrote in message

Following the clean install, there is no difference. Still a Freeze in
DD and D3D full screen, with 61.76 (and above) drivers, works fine
with 53.04 and below drivers. This is with my TI4400 card. The TI200
card works fine with 61.76.

More help??

"CapFusion" <CapFusion.Yo.@hotmail.Hehe@CrazyJunk.Com> wrote in message news:<kKCdnYaR-6TXxTLcRVn-1Q@megapath.net>...
> FeedBack?
> How is it?
>
> CapFusion,...
>

> "Nicholas Buenk" <morn@tpg.com.au> wrote in message
> > OK try a clean install.
> > "Bernie Bildman" <bbildman@hiwaay.net> wrote in message
> >> ok, here's the results to cleaning the Nvidia files and doing a clean
> >> install of 61.76....
> >>
> >> .............same result. No full screen DirectDraw nor any Direct3D
> >> and games that use it will not work.
> >>
> >> 53.04 works fine. The main reason I want to go into the forcewar
> >> dreivers is that many of the games insist on many of their funtions. I
> >> do not understand why the Ti200 WILl work and the TI4400 will not.
> >>
> >> Help....!!!!
> >>
> >> "Nicholas Buenk" <morn@tpg.com.au> wrote in message

Welp, the last option is to verify if your card have problem. Try install
the Ti4400 onto another PC and see if problem follow. If it does, my guess
you have a card issue.

Problem like this normally a driver curruption due to multi-reinstallation
of driver. Clean / fresh OS installation should fix it. Driver clenaer may
not work either due how severe the problem is.

Are you still using Windows98? If possible, can you try installing from
fresh either Windows 2000 or XP and see if it still have freezing problem?

CapFusion,...

> Following the clean install, there is no difference. Still a Freeze in
> DD and D3D full screen, with 61.76 (and above) drivers, works fine
> with 53.04 and below drivers. This is with my TI4400 card. The TI200
> card works fine with 61.76.
>
> More help??
>
> "CapFusion" <CapFusion.Yo.@hotmail.Hehe@CrazyJunk.Com> wrote in message
>> FeedBack?
>> How is it?
>>
>> CapFusion,...
>>

>> "Nicholas Buenk" <morn@tpg.com.au> wrote in message
>> > OK try a clean install.
>> > "Bernie Bildman" <bbildman@hiwaay.net> wrote in message

Ok, the one difference I can see is that the TI4400 is a 8xagp, but my
bus supports 4x only. Might that be a problem, even though in the
Nvidia control panel is see that the MOBO is only 4x??

"CapFusion" <CapFusion.Yo.@hotmail.Hehe@CrazyJunk.Com> wrote in message news:<1vadnQx259XhPC3cRVn-uw@megapath.net>...
> Welp, the last option is to verify if your card have problem. Try install
> the Ti4400 onto another PC and see if problem follow. If it does, my guess
> you have a card issue.
>
> Problem like this normally a driver curruption due to multi-reinstallation
> of driver. Clean / fresh OS installation should fix it. Driver clenaer may
> not work either due how severe the problem is.
>
> Are you still using Windows98? If possible, can you try installing from
> fresh either Windows 2000 or XP and see if it still have freezing problem?
>
> CapFusion,...
>

> "Bernie Bildman" <bbildman@hiwaay.net> wrote in message
> > Following the clean install, there is no difference. Still a Freeze in
> > DD and D3D full screen, with 61.76 (and above) drivers, works fine
> > with 53.04 and below drivers. This is with my TI4400 card. The TI200
> > card works fine with 61.76.
> >
> > More help??
> >
> > "CapFusion" <CapFusion.Yo.@hotmail.Hehe@CrazyJunk.Com> wrote in message
> >> FeedBack?
> >> How is it?
> >>
> >> CapFusion,...
> >>

> >> "Nicholas Buenk" <morn@tpg.com.au> wrote in message

I do not see 4X/8X will cause problem.

CapFusion,...

> Ok, the one difference I can see is that the TI4400 is a 8xagp, but my
> bus supports 4x only. Might that be a problem, even though in the
> Nvidia control panel is see that the MOBO is only 4x??
>
> "CapFusion" <CapFusion.Yo.@hotmail.Hehe@CrazyJunk.Com> wrote in message
>> Welp, the last option is to verify if your card have problem. Try install
>> the Ti4400 onto another PC and see if problem follow. If it does, my
>> guess
>> you have a card issue.
>>
>> Problem like this normally a driver curruption due to
>> multi-reinstallation
>> of driver. Clean / fresh OS installation should fix it. Driver clenaer
>> may
>> not work either due how severe the problem is.
>>
>> Are you still using Windows98? If possible, can you try installing from
>> fresh either Windows 2000 or XP and see if it still have freezing
>> problem?
>>
>> CapFusion,...
>>

>> "Bernie Bildman" <bbildman@hiwaay.net> wrote in message
>> > Following the clean install, there is no difference. Still a Freeze in
>> > DD and D3D full screen, with 61.76 (and above) drivers, works fine
>> > with 53.04 and below drivers. This is with my TI4400 card. The TI200
>> > card works fine with 61.76.
>> >
>> > More help??
>> >
>> > "CapFusion" <CapFusion.Yo.@hotmail.Hehe@CrazyJunk.Com> wrote in message

Ok, solved the problem. I installed 61.76 drivers (Direct3d never
worked on these.

Also installed RivaTuner and change the Direct3d tweak Vsync tab
Synchronization with vertical retrace to "always off" and reduced the
"Prerender Limit" to 2.

Now not only do all my games play, but they are hugely faster/smoother.
Thanks all.