Graphic card upgarde

Hi all,

I'm planning to upgrade my ATI 9000 card to a GF card. Having no thought of
replacing my motherboard for the new PIC-X card, I am interested in the GF
6600 AGP card.

I'd like to know does the card require individual power supply? I've seen
some new GF cards with a power socket at its top corner. Wondering do I need
to feed it its power supply.

Second thing is would such card too much for my system. My system spec. is
as follow:

Asus P4P800
1GB Crucial DDR3200 RAM
120GB IBM SATA HDD
Intel P4 2.4GHz

Please advise.

Thanks,
Alex
3 answers Last reply
More about graphic card upgarde

    IMHO If you are not having a 9800Pro or higher, 6600GT AGP is good choice
    but more expansive and a tad slower than the pci-X version . May consider
    6800 too.

    Yep! It need a extra 12V power supply and preferably not to share it with
    the harddisk.

    Your system look good enough to justify the card.
    May consider OC the CPU a bit :P

    But for some unknown reason, some DX8 games no longer have the resolution
    options higher than 1024¡Ñ768 >_<

    "Alex" <alexc_hh@yahoo.com> ¦b¶l¥ó news:coma8q$2e11@imsp212.netvigator.com
    ¤¤¼¶¼g...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'm planning to upgrade my ATI 9000 card to a GF card. Having no thought
    of
    > replacing my motherboard for the new PIC-X card, I am interested in the GF
    > 6600 AGP card.
    >
    > I'd like to know does the card require individual power supply? I've seen
    > some new GF cards with a power socket at its top corner. Wondering do I
    need
    > to feed it its power supply.
    >
    > Second thing is would such card too much for my system. My system spec. is
    > as follow:
    >
    > Asus P4P800
    > 1GB Crucial DDR3200 RAM
    > 120GB IBM SATA HDD
    > Intel P4 2.4GHz
    >
    > Please advise.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Alex

    Thanks for your information.

    I just wonder is that 12V power supply those we have in a normal ATX power
    box? If not, what can I do?

    I suppose this GX card supports DirectX 9 which means it should have a very
    good support of those Direct 8 games. Is it already a well known issue that
    Nvidia still haven't got any patch or update to fix it?

    Thanks a lot,
    Alex

    "MickT" <no@ddressHere.null> wrote in message
    > IMHO If you are not having a 9800Pro or higher, 6600GT AGP is good choice
    > but more expansive and a tad slower than the pci-X version . May consider
    > 6800 too.
    >
    > Yep! It need a extra 12V power supply and preferably not to share it with
    > the harddisk.
    >
    > Your system look good enough to justify the card.
    > May consider OC the CPU a bit :P
    >
    > But for some unknown reason, some DX8 games no longer have the resolution
    > options higher than 1024¡Ñ768 >_<
    >

    > "Alex" <alexc_hh@yahoo.com> ¦b¶l¥ó news:coma8q$2e11@imsp212.netvigator.com
    > ¤¤¼¶¼g...
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > I'm planning to upgrade my ATI 9000 card to a GF card. Having no thought
    > of
    > > replacing my motherboard for the new PIC-X card, I am interested in the
    GF
    > > 6600 AGP card.
    > >
    > > I'd like to know does the card require individual power supply? I've
    seen
    > > some new GF cards with a power socket at its top corner. Wondering do I
    > need
    > > to feed it its power supply.
    > >
    > > Second thing is would such card too much for my system. My system spec.
    is
    > > as follow:
    > >
    > > Asus P4P800
    > > 1GB Crucial DDR3200 RAM
    > > 120GB IBM SATA HDD
    > > Intel P4 2.4GHz
    > >
    > > Please advise.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Alex

    Yes, sure you have some spear one from the ATX power supply.

    Or take a closer look of what I got ^^
    http://www.gfe.com.hk/news/25/20041117104213.htm

    It seems just my luck to have my favourite 3 games refused to run at
    anything higher than 1024¡Ñ768, my other DX8 game do not have such
    problem -_-

    By the way, you may not find those DX8 games run much faster (the result
    from 3DMark01 proved that). But you can used 4¡Ñ anti-aliasing without
    slower the game too much.

    Hope this help.

    "Alex" <alexc_hh@yahoo.com> ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó·s»D:comthf$2e75@imsp212.netvigator.com...
    > Thanks for your information.
    >
    > I just wonder is that 12V power supply those we have in a normal ATX power
    > box? If not, what can I do?
    >
    > I suppose this GX card supports DirectX 9 which means it should have a
    > very
    > good support of those Direct 8 games. Is it already a well known issue
    > that
    > Nvidia still haven't got any patch or update to fix it?
    >
    > Thanks a lot,
    > Alex
    >
    > "MickT" <no@ddressHere.null> wrote in message
    >> IMHO If you are not having a 9800Pro or higher, 6600GT AGP is good choice
    >> but more expansive and a tad slower than the pci-X version . May consider
    >> 6800 too.
    >>
    >> Yep! It need a extra 12V power supply and preferably not to share it with
    >> the harddisk.
    >>
    >> Your system look good enough to justify the card.
    >> May consider OC the CPU a bit :P
    >>
    >> But for some unknown reason, some DX8 games no longer have the resolution
    >> options higher than 1024¡Ñ768 >_<
    >>

    >> "Alex" <alexc_hh@yahoo.com> ¦b¶l¥ó
    >> ¤¤¼¶¼g...
    >> > Hi all,
    >> >
    >> > I'm planning to upgrade my ATI 9000 card to a GF card. Having no
    >> > thought
    >> of
    >> > replacing my motherboard for the new PIC-X card, I am interested in the
    > GF
    >> > 6600 AGP card.
    >> >
    >> > I'd like to know does the card require individual power supply? I've
    > seen
    >> > some new GF cards with a power socket at its top corner. Wondering do I
    >> need
    >> > to feed it its power supply.
    >> >
    >> > Second thing is would such card too much for my system. My system spec.
    > is
    >> > as follow:
    >> >
    >> > Asus P4P800
    >> > 1GB Crucial DDR3200 RAM
    >> > 120GB IBM SATA HDD
    >> > Intel P4 2.4GHz
    >> >
    >> > Please advise.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks,
    >> > Alex

Nvidia Power Supplies Graphics Cards Graphics