Sign in with
Your question

Which Linux is best?

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
Anonymous
April 30, 2001 5:31:13 PM

I'm very interested in starting to use linux. But I'm not sure which distribution to use. Which is the best linux distribution for a beginner like myself?

More about : linux

April 30, 2001 5:46:04 PM

Mandrake or SuSe.

But you'll still need a big fat book.

If you take a truth and follow it blindly, it will become a Falsehood and you a Fanatic.
May 1, 2001 3:55:09 AM

is mandrake 8 cool? im in the process of downloading it right now and it will be my first venture into the world of linux. im gonna dual boot win2k and mandrake 8. anyone have any comments/ advice for me?

<A HREF="http://www.512productions.com/lobstermagnet/" target="_new">Hyakugojyuuichi!!</A>
Related resources
May 1, 2001 4:49:24 AM

Mandrake 8 is great. I'm using myself.

Another computer wanted. Donations accepted. :^)
Anonymous
May 1, 2001 3:41:13 PM

I'm having some strange random lockups with Mandrake 8.0 :frown:
Occasionally it just locks up solid ... no keyboard, no mouse, won't even respond to a ping!?!?!

I haven't done much to track it down yet.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.
In practice, there is.
May 1, 2001 4:14:45 PM

I've had some problems with getting Mandrake 8 to boot on the machine I was installing it on. I keeps hanging when it is initializing the X Font server. When I figure it out I'll let you know how it is.

But I am very impressed with thier installation utility.

If you take a truth and follow it blindly, it will become a Falsehood and you a Fanatic.
May 1, 2001 10:28:55 PM

Really? That's funny, I'm still on Mandrake 8.0 beta 2 and it works fine. (I have downloaded the release, but it's still in ISO form until I track down a burner).

May 2, 2001 2:41:19 AM

Quote:
I'm using myself.

really? (can you say freudian slip?)

sorry i couldnt resist. yea im gonna install mandrake 8 this weekend so wish me luck :smile:

<A HREF="http://www.512productions.com/lobstermagnet/" target="_new">Hyakugojyuuichi!!</A>
May 2, 2001 5:00:23 AM

I recommend SuSE linux for those who have used Windows before. The learning curve is much better than starting with a more complicated distro. SuSE is great whether you are a beginner or advanced and comes with a motherload of applications (Like 5 GBs worth if you install everything).

I personally didn't like Mandrake because for some odd reason it had a problem with my RAM which really makes no sense since 2 other distros of Linux and 2 versions of Windows read my RAM perfectly fine.

In reality; all the distros are pretty much the same. They use the same kernel. What is the difference? The bundled software; and the wizards that they include to do tasks (Like install). Some distros are harder than other. With SuSE's; as long as everything is compatible and you don't take a wrong turn; you will have a Linux desktop within 30 minutes. They include a helpfull install guide, configuration guide and 615 pages of info on Linux!

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by jerry557 on 05/03/01 02:47 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
Anonymous
May 2, 2001 4:12:04 PM

Well, it's not completely useless. Kinda Win98 unstable, not Win95 or 3.1 unstable :smile:

It is stable enough for me to do some bonnie benchmarking of my 3ware raid card <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?nam..." target="_new">link</A>

I think it may be related to my X server problems that I described in another thread.

In practice, there is.
May 3, 2001 2:51:12 AM

Oops, forgot the "it". hehe.

Anonymous
May 3, 2001 3:45:59 AM

Well, getting the right X server & drivers running hasn't helped my stability :frown:

It just locked up on me again.

I'm pretty confident that it's not a hardware problem, because it was rock solid under a RedHat 6.2 variant.

I didn't find anything significant in /var/log/messages or /var/log/syslog. Anyplace else I should look? Where does KDE log stuff?

In practice, there is.
May 3, 2001 6:29:05 AM

Well as I have said before in this forum Linux is like a cup of coffe (or was it tea? hmmm..) you choose the flavor and how rich and hot you want it.
Personally i like SuSE and Mandrake though i have not tried Mandrake 8 yet.
SuSE 7.1 is a great distro with its biggest plus for any newbie being Yast and Yast2 they are configuration tools with in my opinion are the best of any distro in the market.
I could go on and on about SuSE but i think Jerry557 summed it all up in his post.

Rop

Why do I use LINUX ? Cause its the BEST OS
Why do I use Windows? Cause its the BEST Nintendo..
May 3, 2001 3:34:08 PM

I've had no end of problems with Mandrake 8 recently. We wanted to experiment with the latest greatest distro here at work and we cant get the damn thing stable. I had to try out Redhat 7.1. It's running really smooth right now.

I used a mixture of packages from Mandrake 7.2 and Redhat 7.1 (Some of the 7.1 features just dont quite work yet.)
I've also had to install a previous version of KDE. When I start 2.0 through a VNC server it always crashes.

If you want out of the box ease of use and stability I'd go for SuSe.

Anonymous
May 6, 2001 3:20:11 AM

Figure I'll Put My 2 Cents In Here:

If you want the fastest kernel with the greatest stability run FreeBSD 4.x-STABLE. (we can argue this point in another thread)

As far as install goes, get the 2 floppy images from www.freebsd.com and you can install the entire OS via FTP. You can then add software as necessary. The installer is very simple. Select the hardware you have, remove the hardware you dont have. Gets compiled right from the get-go. Hardware support is excellent and you can run any Linux Binary (you will notice this feature in the installer), cause FreeBSD just plain rocks.

It comes with a boot manager. If you are installing over some MSOS please defrag your filesystem before attempting to add a Linux or UNIX filesystem partition. You might want to use Partition Magic just to be safe.

You will have to decide which package you want. If you want the whole enchallada, and have the connection or time get the full Binaries+Source+XFree86. The installer supports broken FTP sessions. You might want to ping or better yet, traceroute:
ftp.freebsd.org
ftp1.freebsd.org
ftp2.freebsd.org
etc.... up to:
ftp11.freebsd.org
before installing from FTP. I find USA FTP 2 (Colorado),3(Virginia Polytechnic),5 (M.I.T.) works good in the South East.

The SRC tree will provide you with access to most of the software available out there VIA FTP Make which is very simple. For newbies you can run %/stand/sysinstall which is kinda like linuxconf and add them from there. If you are starting out new in the realm of UNIX and UNIX like OS'es you might consider getting FreeBSD which is a full-fledged BSD-UNIX that has a similar tree as Redhat, Mandrake, SuSe, etc...
My record uptime is on a 486DX-100 32MB router/firewall running FreeBSD 3.x STABLE. It uses a MINI Kernel with specific network services, runs entirely from RAM including the filesystem after booting from a hard-drive which eventually sleeps. 1y4m13d without rebooting.

"Ex Nihilo, Nihil Sunt!"
May 8, 2001 1:14:49 AM

Yeah, I've tried Mandrake's tools and found out that I've spent more time trying to get something to work that way (and still didn't work right) then doing it in console mode to the kernel.

But I've yet to try Mandrake 8 so I will be fair on that and try that before I get too upset at them. But so far; the best distro in my mind is SuSE since it also doesn't require it to hold your hand while doing your work.
Anonymous
May 16, 2001 3:37:39 PM

I've been using Storm Linux for quite some time, and I've also been using Mandrake. Mandrake seems to have a few bugs in it, especially when running intensive software like the GIMP. Storm, however, is very sweet and fast, and it hasn't locked up on me or any of my employees yet. Unfortunately, they might be going bankrupt. So goes the story of the best OSs and shells. :( 

Thank you for your time,

Iceburn
July 11, 2001 8:51:28 PM

I use Mandrake Linux 8.0 I'm qite happy with my choise. The installation was propably easier than installing windows =) But there are different Linuxes for different needs.... But if you got hig speed connection you can d/l and try which one suits your needs...

- Jan :) 
July 12, 2001 6:26:43 PM

I've also gone with Mandrake 8.0 and love it!!!

<font color=blue>Your mouse moved. WINDOWS NT must restart for changes to take affect. Restart Now?[OK]</font color=blue>
July 18, 2001 5:26:08 PM

I am using mandrak 8 and win2k all seem great. U can when installing hit f1 key and get a promt and type lnx4win and this installs linux on your win2k partition in a folder called lnx4win. This alows u to use grub bootloader. If you do it this way, you'l take a small performance decrease but hey linux runnes well on slow comps.
July 22, 2001 10:53:19 AM

id advise redhat unless you have a geforce 2 (MX GTS or otherwise) in which case you should use mandrake... i find mandrake does a bit too much for you... not the best of things... learning is easier with redhat...

you do not strengthen the weak by weakening the strong
July 26, 2001 4:48:00 PM

I like mandrake, but caldera is a good distro for newbies as well, it's got a really easy install, even when setting up a dual boot system.

--------------------------------

Look at the size of that thing!
Anonymous
August 4, 2001 4:49:06 PM

Redhat 7.2 is the best for starters. Nice GUI install but to many unused libraries like Windows. I like Slackware 8.0...

"Intel and Microsoft can we say monoply?"
Anonymous
August 4, 2001 4:51:54 PM

What do you think about Slackware? Other than it is an migraine to make anything work? Nothing is included that is not needed from install. You get the base and that is it. Redhat is better for beginners in my opinion. A complete X Windows Driven install. Except Redhat still uses and old Lilo. but it configures everything else for you.

Anonymous
August 4, 2001 4:53:50 PM

Which kernel are you running? With Slackware 8. I had a bitch of a time getting USB Mouse working. With the kernel 2.4.7 everything works fine.

August 5, 2001 6:46:23 PM

I just installed Mandrake 8.0 and love it. I've been using it for my schoolwork. Excellent for beginners.

I am struggling with a few things. For example I really needed xfig (graphical editor) and couldn't figure out how to install the .tar.gz file that I downloaded from the internet. Remember I'm very accustomed to windows not Linux...nevertheless I feel like an idiot again.

Anyway, word of advice: Mandrakes CD's come with a lot of software INCLUDING xfig. I thought I installed just about everything but apperently not. There is a Software Manager that makes the installation automatic and VERY simple- like windows. I did this and poof- got xfig.

Go Mandrake!

Catheter and Caffeine IV are in place. Let's PLAY.
August 11, 2001 6:51:20 AM

I could use your advice too. I tried to dual boot win2k and mandrake 8.0 about 5 months ago and failed miserably.
I created an extra partition (not formatted) when I installed 2k (ntfs) and then installed mandrake. the mandrake worked but it would corupt the 2k partition (or at least the boot loader) to where 2k wouldn't work. The mandrake loader seemed to take over and although it seemed to want to let me boot to windows the partition was always damaged or something.
Do I need to install in the reverse order? i think i tried this also and had no luck. I remember reading somewhere (i thought here) about how to do this WITHOUT 3rd party warez ie partition magic. I think it involved starting with the linux loader and then choosing windows in it would sent you to the nt loader where you could choose nt,2k,98 or even xp i suppose. I would appreciate any help. I have 3 partitions now 1 xp, 1 2k, both ntfs and a 5gig not formatted.
August 11, 2001 6:55:26 AM

is ntfs a problem to the lilo? i don't see why it would myself. has anybody configured a NIC in mandrake to work on a cable modem? I could not get that to work either but withouth the wizards linux is like chinese to me.
August 11, 2001 7:00:17 AM

I understand why people hate Gates but anyone who says windows is harder to install is nuts. If this is already posted somewhere please send me a link or something.
August 11, 2001 8:08:55 PM

If your using a Cable Modem it's best to enter the IP and DNS information manually. I have never been able to get DHCP on a cable modem to work in Linux. If your IP is not static then give them a call and tell them that your a Unix/Linux user and they will give you the settings you need and make your IP static.

Blah, Blah Blahh, Blahh, blahh blah blahh, blah blah.
August 13, 2001 4:24:17 AM

Here's a very quick and streamlined install guide:

For a tar.gz file:

gzip -d x.tar.gz (you'll get a x.tar file now)
tar -xvf x.tar (you'll get a directory now)
cd x
make
make install

And you're done, usually...

For .src.rpm:

rpm --rebuild x.src.rpm (at least I think it's --)
cd /usr/local/rpm/RPMS/i686/ (this is just the directory on my machine, it'll probably be different on yours)
rpm -Uvh x.rpm

And you're done (again, usually...)

For precompiled rpm files (.i386.rpm .i586.rpm etc)

This is a snap:

rpm -Uvh x.rpm

Done.

Again, this is a crash course. May not work 100% of the time depending on a lot of things.

Lyrics. Wasted time between solos.
!