BFG 6800 Ultra...coming to the dark side!

Sean

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Well, i'm sick and tired of waiting for ATI's high-end AGP solution, so I
bought a BFG 6800 Ultra OC from DELL for $420 shipped! woohoo!

Got it today, just waiting for my water block Nvidia attachments to come
from Swiftech. This will be a sweet card, and the first Nvidia card i've
had in a few years. Can't wait to play some HL2 and DOOM 3 @ 1600x1200.

However, it came with a broken off capacitor. I took it down to a TV repair
shop (people that I've trusted before with electronics) and had him solder
it back on. Hope it works!

-Sean

"Sean" <dogchainxno@spamhotmail.com> wrote in message
> Well, i'm sick and tired of waiting for ATI's high-end AGP solution, so I
> bought a BFG 6800 Ultra OC from DELL for $420 shipped! woohoo!
>
> Got it today, just waiting for my water block Nvidia attachments to come
> from Swiftech. This will be a sweet card, and the first Nvidia card i've
> had in a few years. Can't wait to play some HL2 and DOOM 3 @ 1600x1200.
>
> However, it came with a broken off capacitor. I took it down to a TV
> repair shop (people that I've trusted before with electronics) and had him
> solder it back on. Hope it works!
>
> -Sean

If it came with a broken capacitor I would be calling Dell and get them to
send a new card.
By getting it soldered you probably have voided the warranty on the card .
If the cards doesn't work you might be SOL !

Yea, I'd be a little scared to let someone solder on my card... Anyway
congratulations on the NVIDIA, you'll actually be able to spend a lot more
time enjoying and playing, instead of trying to figure out which ATI drivers
to download...

"Sean" <dogchainxno@spamhotmail.com> wrote in message
> Well, i'm sick and tired of waiting for ATI's high-end AGP solution, so I
> bought a BFG 6800 Ultra OC from DELL for $420 shipped! woohoo!
>
> Got it today, just waiting for my water block Nvidia attachments to come
> from Swiftech. This will be a sweet card, and the first Nvidia card i've
> had in a few years. Can't wait to play some HL2 and DOOM 3 @ 1600x1200.
>
> However, it came with a broken off capacitor. I took it down to a TV
> repair shop (people that I've trusted before with electronics) and had him
> solder it back on. Hope it works!
>
> -Sean

TechMaster

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2004

On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 17:41:49 GMT, "Sean" <dogchainxno@spamhotmail.com>
wrote:

The broken cap was surly just one those surface mount jobs that wasnt
properly soldered on to begin with. Nothing to worry about.
but do check the work of the technician, make sure he didnt leave too
much rosin behind. if so, get some Cue tips and slchacol and clean it
off. make sure you dry it off well before installing.
MORE important is where on earth did you find it for that price??
Can you lead me the way to it? Ive been tempted to get a PNY 6800
ddr3 from Comp usa, but they want 399 for it. After tax its 423
ID much rather put that towards a ULTRA.

>Well, i'm sick and tired of waiting for ATI's high-end AGP solution, so I
>bought a BFG 6800 Ultra OC from DELL for $420 shipped! woohoo!
>
>Got it today, just waiting for my water block Nvidia attachments to come
>from Swiftech. This will be a sweet card, and the first Nvidia card i've
>had in a few years. Can't wait to play some HL2 and DOOM 3 @ 1600x1200.
>
>However, it came with a broken off capacitor. I took it down to a TV repair
>shop (people that I've trusted before with electronics) and had him solder
>it back on. Hope it works!
>
>-Sean

Try checking Dell, ya hey there. After all, it's where he said that he got
it from :)
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productlisting.aspx?c=us&l=en&cs=19&category_id=6171&first=true
About 1/2 way down the page.

BFG - GeForce 6800 Ultra Overclocked 256 MB AGP Graphics Card
8X/4X/2X AGP, 35.2 GB/sec Memory Bandwidth, 256 MB DDR Memory, DVI /
S-Video-Out Connectors, Includes 2 Y Cables
Dell Part #: A0397194, Manufacturer Part #: BFGR68256UOC
Usually Ships: 3+ Weeks
$559.00
$503.10
[You Save $55.90]

Although the price has either gone up since he ordered it, or the original
poster got some special pricing.

"TechMaster" <Loa@Aool.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 17:41:49 GMT, "Sean" <dogchainxno@spamhotmail.com>
> MORE important is where on earth did you find it for that price??
> Can you lead me the way to it? Ive been tempted to get a PNY 6800
> ddr3 from Comp usa, but they want 399 for it. After tax its 423
> ID much rather put that towards a ULTRA.
>
> >Well, i'm sick and tired of waiting for ATI's high-end AGP solution, so I
> >bought a BFG 6800 Ultra OC from DELL for $420 shipped! woohoo!

Sean

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"TechMaster" <Loa@Aool.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 17:41:49 GMT, "Sean" <dogchainxno@spamhotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> The broken cap was surly just one those surface mount jobs that wasnt
> properly soldered on to begin with. Nothing to worry about.
> but do check the work of the technician, make sure he didnt leave too
> much rosin behind. if so, get some Cue tips and slchacol and clean it
> off. make sure you dry it off well before installing.
> MORE important is where on earth did you find it for that price??
> Can you lead me the way to it? Ive been tempted to get a PNY 6800
> ddr3 from Comp usa, but they want 399 for it. After tax its 423
> ID much rather put that towards a ULTRA.

Tech did great work. I've had him due a few things before on misc.
electronics. (joysticks, a mouse, speakers, etc). He's great. And besides,
if the card IS dead, I'll ship it back. Its not like its huge, dangerous
and complicate mod, so i don't mind "abusing" a warranty in this way. Now,
if I had overclocked the card, and ruined it with too much voltage, heat, or
smashed it against a wall after getting "pwned" in a bf1942 game, then yeah.
I would NEVER do that with a warranty....way too dishonest for my taste!

I got the BFG 6800 Ultra OC (overclocked) from Dell SB on a special. I've
got to keep some of my so called "secrets" (if you can call it that
anyways), so I'll not name the sites....but there are deal websites out
there that are really good! There are already too many people who jump on
deals, and the deals get pulled too quickly for myself and other's close to
me to jump on. So the harder for the lazy to find the sites, the better I
am off. (as well as other people who use the sites!)

But yeah, after a % off coupon, a $ off coupon AND some cash back i will be
getting, I got it for around $410 in the end. And i thought my $450 x800 XT
PE (+coupon, but the card NEVER materialized) that i ordered from
www.ati.shop.com was a good deal.

$150 for my 9800 Pro (friend is buying it, i have a ATI silencer on it, and
it does ~450 core), and I have a card for about $250 upgraded. Not bad for
1.5-2 years of futureproof GPU coverage. =)