Stupids Question - What is Wi-Fi?

April 13, 2004 6:08:19 AM

I was looking to buy my first pocket pc, and was looking at the Dell Axim
X3i. Saw it has Wi-Fi, and I know that it is wireless internet, but I don't
understand how it works. Also, is it just e-mail, or can I check sites and
stuff with it. Thanks, later.

More about : stupids question

Anonymous
April 13, 2004 6:08:20 AM

Hi,
Wi-Fi is a way to connect two or more computers to allow them to share
information. It can be used to connect to the internet, synchronize with
ActiveSync or even to share files. Also, keep in mind that you need to
purchase an access point or a pc card or usb adapter to use it with your
Pocket PC.

--
Chris De Herrera
http://www.cewindows.net

"Brad" <ELWAYO7@MCHSI.COM> wrote in message
>I was looking to buy my first pocket pc, and was looking at the Dell Axim
> X3i. Saw it has Wi-Fi, and I know that it is wireless internet, but I
> don't
> understand how it works. Also, is it just e-mail, or can I check sites
> and
> stuff with it. Thanks, later.

Anonymous
April 13, 2004 6:08:20 AM

It is to computers what cordless phones are to your home phone.

You can do anything over a WiFi connnection that you can do with a broadband
connection. BUT just as you can not use a cordless phone without a base
station plugged into the wall you also can't use a WiFi connection without
an access point.

The WiFi on the Axim is essentially a radio with a range that is probably
large enough to go through your entire house. If you have broadband
connection then you will need an access point most commonly in the form of a
WiFi router. The router will broadcast incoming files to your PPC and relay
outgoing files from your PPC to the internet. Anything is fair game, email,
web browsing, file streaming etc.

Then of course, without investing in a router you can bop over to the local
coffee shop and use their connection.

"Brad" <ELWAYO7@MCHSI.COM> wrote in message
> I was looking to buy my first pocket pc, and was looking at the Dell Axim
> X3i. Saw it has Wi-Fi, and I know that it is wireless internet, but I
don't
> understand how it works. Also, is it just e-mail, or can I check sites
and
> stuff with it. Thanks, later.

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
April 13, 2004 6:08:21 AM

If your intent is to use it at home you will need the extra stuff. There is
also WiFi available for free and for a fee at various locations. T-Mobile
sells access via WiFi at many Starbucks, ATT has a pay WiFi network in many
airports. Some Embassy Suites are now sporting free WiFi access, and my
local airport offers free WiFi. There are sites that will help you locate
'Hot Spots', free, or otherwise. Google for free WiFi and see what you get.

--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
"Chris De Herrera" <chris@cewindows.net> wrote in message
news:o %233ftCQIEHA.3820@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...

> Also, keep in mind that you need to
> purchase an access point or a pc card or usb adapter to use it with your
> Pocket PC.
>

> --
> Chris De Herrera
> http://www.cewindows.net
> http://www.tabletpctalk.com
>
> "Brad" <ELWAYO7@MCHSI.COM> wrote in message
> >I was looking to buy my first pocket pc, and was looking at the Dell Axim
> > X3i. Saw it has Wi-Fi, and I know that it is wireless internet, but I
> > don't
> > understand how it works. Also, is it just e-mail, or can I check sites
> > and
> > stuff with it. Thanks, later.

Anonymous
April 13, 2004 6:08:21 AM

And, to expand on Chris' answer a bit, an established wifi connection is
basically the same as an ethernet connection... without the wires.

In fact, Access Points simply connect to a wired ethernet connection on
one side and then allows wifi equipped devices on the other side to
connect to the ethernet wire with a connection that is equivalent to a
network card connection.

A wifi connection is also "short range" Unlike a cellular connection,
there must be a wired access point around 150' nearby to connect... such
as in a Starbucks, or your home, or office.

HTH,
Beverly Howard
!