Leadtek 5700 opinions needed

Hi - I need a DirectX 9 compatible video card to play Medal of Honor Pacific
Assault. I am looking at this Leadtek GeForce 5700 8X AGP card as a
temporary upgrade since I am not quite ready to build a new PC.

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/skusearch.hmx?SCriteria=AA24990

Is this a relatively good video card?

My AGP slot is 4X. Will this card work in it?

Right now I have a GeForce 4 - 440 MX 64 MB card which makes Medal of Honor
Allied Assault look awesome.

Thanks

Joe

> Hi - I need a DirectX 9 compatible video card to play Medal of Honor Pacific
> Assault. I am looking at this Leadtek GeForce 5700 8X AGP card as a
> temporary upgrade since I am not quite ready to build a new PC.
>
> http://www.mwave.com/mwave/skusearch.hmx?SCriteria=AA24990
>
> Is this a relatively good video card?

It's a good board for the price. About a match for a GF4 Ti4200
speed-wise, but with (relatively mediocre) SM2.0+ support. It won't
give you all the speed and eye candy of the GeForce 6 series cards, but
if you're planning on getting a new PC later on, you'd be fine getting
the 5700 now and a new PCI-E card with the new system.

> My AGP slot is 4X. Will this card work in it?

It should. Only at 4X AGP, obviously, but that will translate to an
almost negligible real-world performance hit.

"Yeremein" <yeremein@nonexistent.net> wrote in message
>> Hi - I need a DirectX 9 compatible video card to play Medal of Honor
>> Pacific Assault. I am looking at this Leadtek GeForce 5700 8X AGP card
>> as a temporary upgrade since I am not quite ready to build a new PC.
>>
>> http://www.mwave.com/mwave/skusearch.hmx?SCriteria=AA24990
>>
>> Is this a relatively good video card?
>
> It's a good board for the price. About a match for a GF4 Ti4200
> speed-wise, but with (relatively mediocre) SM2.0+ support. It won't give
> you all the speed and eye candy of the GeForce 6 series cards, but if
> you're planning on getting a new PC later on, you'd be fine getting the
> 5700 now and a new PCI-E card with the new system.
>
>> My AGP slot is 4X. Will this card work in it?
>
> It should. Only at 4X AGP, obviously, but that will translate to an
> almost negligible real-world performance hit.

Thanks for the input. PCI-E is definitely on the list for the next
computer.

Joe

Joe727 wrote:

> "Yeremein" <yeremein@nonexistent.net> wrote in message
>>> Hi - I need a DirectX 9 compatible video card to play Medal of Honor
>>> Pacific Assault. I am looking at this Leadtek GeForce 5700 8X AGP card
>>> as a temporary upgrade since I am not quite ready to build a new PC.
>>>
>>> http://www.mwave.com/mwave/skusearch.hmx?SCriteria=AA24990
>>>
>>> Is this a relatively good video card?
>>
>> It's a good board for the price. About a match for a GF4 Ti4200
>> speed-wise, but with (relatively mediocre) SM2.0+ support. It won't give
>> you all the speed and eye candy of the GeForce 6 series cards, but if
>> you're planning on getting a new PC later on, you'd be fine getting the
>> 5700 now and a new PCI-E card with the new system.
>>
>>> My AGP slot is 4X. Will this card work in it?
>>
>> It should. Only at 4X AGP, obviously, but that will translate to an
>> almost negligible real-world performance hit.
>
> Thanks for the input. PCI-E is definitely on the list for the next
> computer.

Since you won't have much choice it's good that you have decided to go with
the flow.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

> Joe727 wrote:

snip

> > Thanks for the input. PCI-E is definitely on the list for the next
> > computer.
>
> Since you won't have much choice it's good that you have decided to go
with
> the flow.

What other choice is there? Hang on to that older standard that's now losing
support? Dig out that old faithful AGP 2x, 4 PCI, 2 ISA mobo, stuff as much
video card/processor/SDRAM as'll go, dig your heels in and refuse to be
pulled forward an inch? Go back to dialup? Live in a cave?

When Intel, she is losing ground, a favorite tactic of her mightiness is to
have an immediate about-face for standards so as to be first on the scene
with the Emperor's New Clothes. Intel throws her weight around and there you
go. Where do you want to go today? Resistance is futile...

Actually, having a dedicated-link (non-muxed) high-bandwidth hot-pluggable
slot is just what the Dr. ordered. May not be really needed for video cards
(the power supply certainly is...), but as for storage arrays, and
especially multi-gig Ethernet...

The real reason for promotion of PCI-E is scalability in communications...oh
and a few things we won't talk about, like the better facilitation of
security, and auditing procedure...