Leadtek 6800 GT
2 HDs
DVD Rom
CD Writer
using onboard sound card and LAN
Antec 430W TruePower
2 Case fans

The problems:

Graphics card is overclocked to 400/1100 (i.e. Ultra speeds)

In certain games that are DirectX based i.e. Far Cry, Painkiller after
running the game for a while there will be certain parts of the screen
flickering different colours. In some cases the computer will reboot.

I can run Doom 3 with all the options set to high for hours without any
problems, no crashing or flickering colours.

I am running the 67.03 drivers, the 67.02 drivers had the same issues.

When I do an autodetect for the 3D frequencies the values are higher that
what I am running.

Is this a heat issue or what else could be the problem.? I run RivaTuner and
record the temps to file. The hottest the card gets is 78 degrees C

--
Regards

Brett Pureveen

"Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue"

"bReTt" <support@knowbase.co.za> wrote in message
> Hi

> The problems:
>
> Graphics card is overclocked to 400/1100 (i.e. Ultra speeds)
>
> In certain games that are DirectX based i.e. Far Cry, Painkiller after
> running the game for a while there will be certain parts of the screen
> flickering different colours. In some cases the computer will reboot.

> Is this a heat issue or what else could be the problem.? I run RivaTuner
and
> record the temps to file. The hottest the card gets is 78 degrees C
>
> --
> Regards
>
> Brett Pureveen

Sounds like overheating to me, maybe some DirectX processes / architecture
are more fragile to overheating.
78°C does sound high in terms of general electronics, I personaly wouldn't
want to go over 60, high temperature will reduce the lifetime of your card.

Luc Monod wrote:
> "bReTt" <support@knowbase.co.za> wrote in message
>
>>Hi
>

>>The problems:
>>
>>Graphics card is overclocked to 400/1100 (i.e. Ultra speeds)
>>
>>In certain games that are DirectX based i.e. Far Cry, Painkiller after
>>running the game for a while there will be certain parts of the screen
>>flickering different colours. In some cases the computer will reboot.
>

>>Is this a heat issue or what else could be the problem.? I run RivaTuner
>
> and
>
>>record the temps to file. The hottest the card gets is 78 degrees C
>>
>>--
>>Regards
>>
>>Brett Pureveen
>

> Sounds like overheating to me, maybe some DirectX processes / architecture
> are more fragile to overheating.
> 78°C does sound high in terms of general electronics, I personaly wouldn't
> want to go over 60, high temperature will reduce the lifetime of your card.

Also, be mindful that 6800's require a _clean_ rail off the PSU. So if
you're taxed for power as it is, overclocking is a bad idea.

From the earlier post, this doesn't initially appear to be a problem
(430W is good), but I wonder if having a power hungry P4 along with 4
IDE/SATA devices and a bunch of fans might be putting the system to it's
limit when overclocking.

>Sounds like overheating to me, maybe some DirectX processes / architecture
>are more fragile to overheating.
>78°C does sound high in terms of general electronics, I personaly wouldn't
>want to go over 60, high temperature will reduce the lifetime of your card.

Sure sounds like heat related to me as well especially when the problem happens
when the card is under load.

I don't know what card you have or what kind of cooling your using, but 78C
seems to be kind of high.
My overclocked 4200 under load seems to stay under 45C. I also know someone
running an ATI card that stays under 50C so I would check out your video card
and/or case cooling.

You could open your case and point a fan at your video card under load and see
if that helps to test for heat related problems.

>Also, be mindful that 6800's require a _clean_ rail off the PSU. So if
>you're taxed for power as it is, overclocking is a bad idea.
>
> From the earlier post, this doesn't initially appear to be a problem
>(430W is good), but I wonder if having a power hungry P4 along with 4
>IDE/SATA devices and a bunch of fans might be putting the system to it's
>limit when overclocking.

I would use the case open with fan blowing on the card under load to see if it
helps, if it doesn't then it could be power related, but its easier to test for
overheating then not enough power.

On 06 Dec 2004 23:08:03 GMT, private1964@aol.com (PRIVATE1964) wrote:

>>Also, be mindful that 6800's require a _clean_ rail off the PSU. So if
>>you're taxed for power as it is, overclocking is a bad idea.
>>
>> From the earlier post, this doesn't initially appear to be a problem
>>(430W is good), but I wonder if having a power hungry P4 along with 4
>>IDE/SATA devices and a bunch of fans might be putting the system to it's
>>limit when overclocking.
>>

>I would use the case open with fan blowing on the card under load to see if it
>helps, if it doesn't then it could be power related, but its easier to test for
>overheating then not enough power.

My hardware configuration is very similar to yours except the Video
card is Inno3D 6800GT. I also o/c it to 400M/1.1G and the max GPU
temp is about 75C. No problem on 3D games so far.

I have the feeling that there is insufficient cooling on your
videocard and the above suggestion is worth trying.

BigVoice

Hi

I am surprised that it is a heating issue, the leadtek 6800 GT is a 2 slot
solution with a very large copper heatsink that basically cover the card on
both side.

I am getting a vantec fan card to blow more air onto the card, will post
back.

We have been having very hot and humid weather 35C and higher.

"BigVoice" <intervoice@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On 06 Dec 2004 23:08:03 GMT, private1964@aol.com (PRIVATE1964) wrote:
>

>>>Also, be mindful that 6800's require a _clean_ rail off the PSU. So if
>>>you're taxed for power as it is, overclocking is a bad idea.
>>>
>>> From the earlier post, this doesn't initially appear to be a problem
>>>(430W is good), but I wonder if having a power hungry P4 along with 4
>>>IDE/SATA devices and a bunch of fans might be putting the system to it's
>>>limit when overclocking.
>>>

>>I would use the case open with fan blowing on the card under load to see
>>if it
>>helps, if it doesn't then it could be power related, but its easier to
>>test for
>>overheating then not enough power.
>
> My hardware configuration is very similar to yours except the Video
> card is Inno3D 6800GT. I also o/c it to 400M/1.1G and the max GPU
> temp is about 75C. No problem on 3D games so far.
>
> I have the feeling that there is insufficient cooling on your
> videocard and the above suggestion is worth trying.
>
> BigVoice

>Hi
>
>I am surprised that it is a heating issue, the leadtek 6800 GT is a 2 slot
>solution with a very large copper heatsink that basically cover the card on
>both side.
>
>I am getting a vantec fan card to blow more air onto the card, will post
>back.
>
>We have been having very hot and humid weather 35C and higher.

I posted overheating as a possibility, it could be something else but that is
probably the easiest thing to rule out.
It also really doesn't matter how big the heatsink is if your feeding it warm
air. If your case temperature is a lot higher then the ambient temperature
outside the case it really doesn't matter how big of a cooler you have on the
card. Your feeding it warm air and it also has the heat from the GPU to contend
with.

35C is a very hot ambient, and then you consider your case temp is higher then
that. If your using your computer in 35C, you should really work on getting the
best cooling for your case because that is just too hot IMO.

If your case does not have a side fan, it would do wonders to install one to
help keep your video card cool.