SLI - 2 video cards in a box ?

Hi,

Will the manufacturers sell "boxes" with 2 video cards for SLI mode ?

DaviDubois / France / LeadTek ti4200 ViVo satisfiedUser
17 answers Last reply
More about video cards

    David DUBOIS depuis Mop wrote:

    > Will the manufacturers sell "boxes" with 2 video cards for SLI mode ?

    I know Gainward will, dunno about other manufacturers, though it's
    likely ASUS will have an offering soon to go with their own SLI mainboard.

    It's only really interesting if the "box" is cheaper than two seperate
    cards - and so far, that doesn't seem to be the case. So far, apart from
    a few eVGA PCIe 6800Ultra's and GT's that have been sold in the US, I
    haven't yet seen any PCIe cards from other brands (ASUS, MSI, Leadtek,
    Gainward, etc) in the wild yet. I doubt they will arrive in shops here
    in Europe before the end of the month - my bet is it'll be 2005 before I
    can snap up a pair.

    Wounder if they will have a tested matched pair like memory?

    RJT wrote:
    > David DUBOIS depuis Mop wrote:
    >
    >> Will the manufacturers sell "boxes" with 2 video cards for SLI mode ?
    >
    > I know Gainward will, dunno about other manufacturers, though it's
    > likely ASUS will have an offering soon to go with their own SLI
    > mainboard.

    ASUS has one SLI mobo for AMD CPU.
    Will they soon create an Intel SLI mobo ?

    DDD

    On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 17:30:58 +0100, "David DUBOIS depuis Mop"
    <ddu.news@free.invalid> wrote:

    >RJT wrote:
    >> David DUBOIS depuis Mop wrote:
    >>
    >>> Will the manufacturers sell "boxes" with 2 video cards for SLI mode ?
    >>
    >> I know Gainward will, dunno about other manufacturers, though it's
    >> likely ASUS will have an offering soon to go with their own SLI
    >> mainboard.
    >
    >ASUS has one SLI mobo for AMD CPU.
    >Will they soon create an Intel SLI mobo ?

    Gainward has just announced a motherboard with a clever hack
    for the 915 chip-set that implements SLI. I don't expect that it will
    last long in the marketplace, since nVidia has just signed a broad
    cross-license agreement with Intel, and no doubt has a chip-set design
    already underway. The nForce4 ( AMD chip-set ) sparkles with terrific
    features that the 915 does not have - no doubt many or all of them
    will be in the Intel-CPU version.

    John Lewis

    >DDD

    Yes. Nforce5 for Intel CPUs is on the way.

    DaveL

    John Lewis wrote:

    > On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 17:30:58 +0100, "David DUBOIS depuis Mop"
    > <ddu.news@free.invalid> wrote:
    >
    >>RJT wrote:

    >>> I know Gainward will, dunno about other manufacturers, though it's
    >>> likely ASUS will have an offering soon to go with their own SLI
    >>> mainboard.
    >>
    >>ASUS has one SLI mobo for AMD CPU.
    >>Will they soon create an Intel SLI mobo ?
    >>

    > Gainward has just announced a motherboard with a clever hack
    > for the 915 chip-set that implements SLI.

    Where did they announce this? When did Gainward start making motherboards,
    anyway?

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 16:46:12 GMT, john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis)
    wrote:

    >On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 17:30:58 +0100, "David DUBOIS depuis Mop"
    ><ddu.news@free.invalid> wrote:
    >
    >>RJT wrote:

    >>> I know Gainward will, dunno about other manufacturers, though it's
    >>> likely ASUS will have an offering soon to go with their own SLI
    >>> mainboard.
    >>
    >>ASUS has one SLI mobo for AMD CPU.
    >>Will they soon create an Intel SLI mobo ?
    >>

    >Gainward

    CORRECTION : G- igabyte NOT G- ainward !!!

    ( See www.tomshardware.com for the full details.)

    Too many G- forces on my tiny mind :-) :-)

    Thanks "J.Clarke" for triggering the correction.

    John Lewis

    John Lewis wrote:

    > On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 16:46:12 GMT, john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis)
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 17:30:58 +0100, "David DUBOIS depuis Mop"
    >><ddu.news@free.invalid> wrote:

    >>>ASUS has one SLI mobo for AMD CPU.
    >>>Will they soon create an Intel SLI mobo ?
    >>>

    >>Gainward
    >
    > CORRECTION : G- igabyte NOT G- ainward !!!
    >
    > ( See www.tomshardware.com for the full details.)
    >
    > Too many G- forces on my tiny mind :-) :-)
    >
    > Thanks "J.Clarke" for triggering the correction.

    Looks like it has one 16x slot and one 4x and no other PCI Express at all.
    If there's any performance gain from the board in that 4x slot it pretty
    well negates the performance justification for PCI Express.

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    David DUBOIS depuis Mop wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Will the manufacturers sell "boxes" with 2 video cards for SLI mode ?
    >
    > DaviDubois / France / LeadTek ti4200 ViVo satisfiedUser

    I think eVGA does this.

    As if there's any real-world justification for AGP8x (i.e. outside of
    3DMark)?

    Epic's Tim Sweeney once commented that the only true appeal of PCIe is to
    run multiple high-end video cards in the same machine. So far he's right.

    PCIe slots aren't useful for other devices anyway. Has there been a PCIe
    modem or sound card yet?

    First of One wrote:

    > As if there's any real-world justification for AGP8x (i.e. outside of
    > 3DMark)?
    >
    > Epic's Tim Sweeney once commented that the only true appeal of PCIe is to
    > run multiple high-end video cards in the same machine. So far he's right.
    >
    > PCIe slots aren't useful for other devices anyway. Has there been a PCIe
    > modem or sound card yet?

    Why would one want to use PCI Express for a modem or sound card? Regular
    PCI has vastly more bandwidth than either of those devices can consume.

    On the other hand,

    Take a look at the Tekram 1220 <http://www.tekram.com/>, which would go well
    with the Syskonnect SK-9E21D
    <http://www.syskonnect.com/syskonnect/products/sk-9e21d.htm>.

    Nice solution for a small server.

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    > As if there's any real-world justification for AGP8x (i.e. outside of
    > 3DMark)?
    >
    > Epic's Tim Sweeney once commented that the only true appeal of PCIe is to
    > run multiple high-end video cards in the same machine. So far he's right.
    >
    > PCIe slots aren't useful for other devices anyway. Has there been a PCIe
    > modem or sound card yet?

    Soon, Creative have a new Audigy Zenith out in March 05, PCI-E 1x
  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    As if there's any real-world justification for AGP8x (i.e. outside of
    3DMark)?

    Epic's Tim Sweeney once commented that the only true appeal of PCIe is to
    run multiple high-end video cards in the same machine. So far he's right.

    PCIe slots aren't useful for other devices anyway. Has there been a PCIe
    modem or sound card yet?

    It's the chicken or egg thing,nobody is going to make PCI-E add in cards
    unless there is a MB to support them. Should they make the cards first,or the
    motherboards. It all has to start somewhere.
    The PCI buss is slow, anything running on it bound at 33 Mbs. whats the
    point of making an add in card that is capable of runnig faster?
    When INTEL took the raid controller of the PCI buss,perfomamce was
    increased,now hard drive makers are starting to make faster hard drives.
    The SATA 2 is an example doubling the data transfer over the first version
    SATA. DOUG
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    Courseyauto wrote:

    > As if there's any real-world justification for AGP8x (i.e. outside of
    > 3DMark)?
    >
    > Epic's Tim Sweeney once commented that the only true appeal of PCIe is to
    > run multiple high-end video cards in the same machine. So far he's right.
    >
    > PCIe slots aren't useful for other devices anyway. Has there been a PCIe
    > modem or sound card yet?
    >

    > It's the chicken or egg thing,nobody is going to make PCI-E add in cards
    > unless there is a MB to support them. Should they make the cards first,or
    > the
    > motherboards. It all has to start somewhere.
    > The PCI buss is slow, anything running on it bound at 33 Mbs.

    Uh, it's a 32-bit bus, that means that it runs 4x33 MB/sec, not 33 Mb/sec.
    And there are 64 bit variants of it running 133 MHz or faster.

    > whats the
    > point of making an add in card that is capable of runnig faster?
    > When INTEL took the raid controller of the PCI buss,perfomamce was
    > increased,now hard drive makers are starting to make faster hard drives.

    Which RAID controller did Intel "take off the PCI bus"? All Intel RAID
    controllers of recent vintage have been for the PCI-X bus, which accepts
    regular PCI boards as well as the high-speed boards.

    And what manufacturer is making "faster hard drives" in response to this
    alleged removal of the RAID controller from the PCI Bus? I see no new
    drives that are faster than the 15K RPM Cheetahs and their Hitachi and
    Fujitsu competitors that have been out for a long time.

    > The SATA 2 is an example doubling the data transfer over the first
    > version

    Which still makes it slower than the current version of SCSI, and the drives
    that use it are not faster because of SATA 2, their performance is limited
    by storage density and RPM--you would not see any noticeable increase in
    drive performance if the transfer rate of the interface was infinitely
    high.

    > SATA. DOUG

    If you're going to call yourself "SATA. DOUG" you really should learn
    something about its relation to real-world performance.

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 23:02:12 -0500, "J. Clarke"
    <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote:

    >> When INTEL took the raid controller of the PCI buss,perfomamce was
    >> increased,now hard drive makers are starting to make faster hard drives.
    >
    >Which RAID controller did Intel "take off the PCI bus"?

    The ICH5R (875, 865 Motherboard chip-set disk/RAID controller)
    has a separate bus for disk access and does not consume any PCI
    bandwidth. The new ICH6R (915, 925) also.

    John Lewis
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    <Which RAID controller did Intel "take off the PCI bus"? All Intel RAID
    controllers of recent vintage have been for the PCI-X bus, which <accepts
    regular PCI boards as well as the high-speed boards.

    <And what manufacturer is making "faster hard drives" in response to this
    <alleged removal of the RAID controller from the PCI Bus? I see no new
    <drives that are faster than the 15K RPM Cheetahs and their Hitachi and
    <Fujitsu competitors that have been out for a long time.

    The ICH5R and ICH6R are on the southbridge and do not go through the PCI buss.
    They have been out for about 2 years now.
    Yes the SCSI drives are faster because they are 15000 rpm drives.

    Heres a link on the new 3 Gb SATA controller and up coming drives.
    http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2248&p=5
  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    From a purely hardware-construction perspective, a PCIe 1x port requires
    fewer traces and should be cheaper to build.

    BTW, have you seen this:

    http://www.mashie.org/casemods/udat1.html

    It uses the PCI-X card in a regular PCI slot.

    > Why would one want to use PCI Express for a modem or sound card? Regular
    > PCI has vastly more bandwidth than either of those devices can consume.
    >
    > On the other hand,
    >
    > Take a look at the Tekram 1220 <http://www.tekram.com/>, which would go
    well
    > with the Syskonnect SK-9E21D
    > <http://www.syskonnect.com/syskonnect/products/sk-9e21d.htm>.
    >
    > Nice solution for a small server.
    >
    > --
    > --John
    > Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
    > (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Nvidia Graphics Cards SLI Graphics