NVIDIA hardware MPEG Decoder, CODEC works only 1 time.

Hi All,

I've upgraded from a GeForce II MX to a MSI FX 5900 XT VTD 128 (and that
makes a difference).

I intended to use the new NVIDIA DVD CODEC but the following problem
appeared:

On a fresh Windows XP SP2 + DirectX 9.0c (recent CD from Microsoft) I
installed the MSI 61.72 Driver.

Then I installed the NVIDIA DVD decoder 1.00.58 wich includes several
DirectShow filters.

The fist .mpg file (or DVD) works OK and the small icon of the NVIDIA
decoder appears (the hardware acceleration check box is checked as
intended).

But all subsequent attemps fail. The NVIDIA decoder works only the first
time. The NVIDIA icon appears briefly and disappears and nothing is
displayed or another MPEG 2 decoder is used (integrated decoder with low
merit under Media Player Classic, even if the integrated filter is
disabled).

If I restore a GHOST image of the OS (full system restore) and reinstall
the codec, it works once then fails.

I've tried several times, with Media Player Classic 6.4.8.2, Zoom Player
and even nasty WMP, same result.

Does anybody know why it behaves like this ?

Is there a way to make the nvidia decoder really work ?

TIA.
--
ICQ# 114297372

"Paul Atreides" <ardennes@free.fr> wrote in message

> I intended to use the new NVIDIA DVD CODEC but the following problem
> appeared:

If you are merely trying to play DVD's with nVidia's DVD player, follow
these suggestions. I do not recommend nvidia's DVD player for PC, even with
an nvidia video card. May I suggest Dr.DivX, it's free and functional.

http://www.divx.com/divx/

> On a fresh Windows XP SP2 + DirectX 9.0c (recent CD from Microsoft) I
> installed the MSI 61.72 Driver.

This is an obsolete driver, please consider the 66.93 suite. Highly
Recommended.

> <symptom Snippage>

> Does anybody know why it behaves like this ?

Unusual and problmatic. These symptoms should likely disappear when you:

1) Use current drivers
2) Use a different DVD player

> Is there a way to make the nvidia decoder really work ?

I have had mixed results with the nvidia dvd player, even under the very
best of circumstances, it's inferior for a PC player. It is best when
combined as part of a living room/game room media center combination.

However, since you likely paid for the product, you want it to work. you did
buy it, correct? Try the driver fixes and get back to us! BTW, if it works
once then fails, perhaps it's phoning home and disabling or it's not
activated.

Lastly, your version of WMP is obsolete as well, Try WMP 9 or 10.

In article <1-CdnYcYcuEsWincRVn-qg@comcast.com>, someone@microsoft.com
says...

> "Paul Atreides" <ardennes@free.fr> wrote in message

Thank you for your answer.

> > I intended to use the new NVIDIA DVD CODEC but the following problem
> > appeared:
>
> If you are merely trying to play DVD's with nVidia's DVD player, follow
> these suggestions. I do not recommend nvidia's DVD player for PC, even with
> an nvidia video card. May I suggest Dr.DivX, it's free and functional.
>
> http://www.divx.com/divx/

No, I don't have a lot of DVD, but a DVB card wich I use to record
movies and documentaries.

> > On a fresh Windows XP SP2 + DirectX 9.0c (recent CD from Microsoft) I
> > installed the MSI 61.72 Driver.
>
> This is an obsolete driver, please consider the 66.93 suite. Highly
> Recommended.

I know, but all recent releases from NVIDIA don't work as good (they
produce graphic corruption on several games and demos, even in Winamp)
as the one supplied by MSI.

> > <symptom Snippage>
>
> > Does anybody know why it behaves like this ?
>
> Unusual and problmatic. These symptoms should likely disappear when you:
>
> 1) Use current drivers
> 2) Use a different DVD player

I've done that already, I've tried Zoom Player, Media Player Classic,
Wndows Media Player and even graphedit. The problem is the same. That's
why I beleive that something in the NVIDIA DS filter changes something
during its first run.

> > Is there a way to make the nvidia decoder really work ?
>
> I have had mixed results with the nvidia dvd player, even under the very
> best of circumstances, it's inferior for a PC player. It is best when
> combined as part of a living room/game room media center combination.

I realize that it doesn't make a lot of difference on CPU utilization on
modern computers (for DVD or other lowres mpeg) but I expected it (the
MPEG hardware decoder and it associated CODEC and DS filters) to be able
to play HDTV (here we receive Euro1080 channel in 1920 x 1080).

> However, since you likely paid for the product, you want it to work. you did
> buy it, correct? Try the driver fixes and get back to us! BTW, if it works
> once then fails, perhaps it's phoning home and disabling or it's not
> activated.

That what I thought, but this computer is not connected. I've tried to
see what it was doing with NTFILMON and REGMON but just clicking on a
video file produces hundreds of registry and file accesses.

> Lastly, your version of WMP is obsolete as well, Try WMP 9 or 10.

I doubt it could be (I didn't mention its version) but I avoid it like
the plague. I prefer Media Player Classic 6.4.8.2 for video and Winamp
for audio.

--
ICQ# 114297372