low resolution using DVI with GeForce2 MX

Hello all,

I bought a ViewSonic VP171s, a 17-inch LCD panel to use with my Sony
Vaio which contains an nVidia GeForce2 MX (32 MB). The LCD panel's
native resolution is 1280x1024. When I connect the monitor via the
analog port, all is well; 1280x1024 no problem. When I connect the two
via the DVI port, the nVidia adapter indicates the monitor is at most
capable of 1024x768.

I have updated the video BIOS from Sony (3.11.01.60). installed the
latest video driver from Nvidia, and grabbed the most recent monitor
..INF file from ViewSonic. So far, no luck - I'm stuck at 1024x768.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

David Carlson

Your video card is too old and underpowered to drive two DVI monitors.

--
DaveW

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 23:38:09 GMT, "DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote:

>Your video card is too old and underpowered to drive two DVI monitors.

I'm only trying to drive a single monitor, the new 17" ViewSonic.
Thanks for the reply,

David

> On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 23:38:09 GMT, "DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote:
>
>>Your video card is too old and underpowered to drive two DVI monitors.
>
> I'm only trying to drive a single monitor, the new 17" ViewSonic.
> Thanks for the reply,
>
> David

Do you really have GeForce 2 MX card? Can you provide the manufacturer
model or the link?
I do not think there is a DVI on GeForce 2 MX card or atleast I do aware of
one.

BTW,
Is this card an AGP or PCI type?

CapFusion,...

>Do you really have GeForce 2 MX card? Can you provide the manufacturer
>model or the link?
>I do not think there is a DVI on GeForce 2 MX card or atleast I do aware of
>one.
>
>BTW,
>Is this card an AGP or PCI type?
>
>CapFusion,...

Thanks for your reply.

The Nvidia driver says the Processor is "GeForce2 MX/MX 400". The
label still stuck on the front of my computer says "GeForce2 MX". The
computer documentation (the adapter came with the Sony Vaio) does not
indicates the resolution is limited (lower) when using DVI.

I think it's a bug with the Nvidia driver or firmware. I tried an
earlier driver and it would only work at 800x600.

David

From what I remember, pre-Geforce3 nVidia GPUs did not contain integrated
TDMS transmitters. Your video card is using an external TDMS transmitter
chip to drive the DVI port. The maximum resolution supported is dependent on
the TDMS chip's speed. If you card has a cheap TDMS chip, topping out at
1024x768 is entirely possible.

In fact, on newer cards like the Gainward Ti4600 with dual DVI ports, the
two ports top out at different resolutions. One port is driven by the GF4's
integrated TDMS and is capable of 1600x1200, while the other is driven by an
external TDMS chip that tops out at 1280x1024. However, if you hook up an
analog monitor to either port via an adapter, you can get 2048x1536.

"David Carlson" <dmcarlson@no-spam.yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello all,
>
> I bought a ViewSonic VP171s, a 17-inch LCD panel to use with my Sony
> Vaio which contains an nVidia GeForce2 MX (32 MB). The LCD panel's
> native resolution is 1280x1024. When I connect the monitor via the
> analog port, all is well; 1280x1024 no problem. When I connect the two
> via the DVI port, the nVidia adapter indicates the monitor is at most
> capable of 1024x768.
>
> I have updated the video BIOS from Sony (3.11.01.60). installed the
> latest video driver from Nvidia, and grabbed the most recent monitor
> .INF file from ViewSonic. So far, no luck - I'm stuck at 1024x768.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks!
>
> David Carlson

julian

TMDS --- Transition Minimized Differential Signaling

> From what I remember, pre-Geforce3 nVidia GPUs did not contain integrated
> TDMS transmitters. Your video card is using an external TDMS transmitter
> chip to drive the DVI port. The maximum resolution supported is dependent
> on
> the TDMS chip's speed. If you card has a cheap TDMS chip, topping out at
> 1024x768 is entirely possible.
>
> In fact, on newer cards like the Gainward Ti4600 with dual DVI ports, the
> two ports top out at different resolutions. One port is driven by the
> GF4's
> integrated TDMS and is capable of 1600x1200, while the other is driven by
> an
> external TDMS chip that tops out at 1280x1024. However, if you hook up an
> analog monitor to either port via an adapter, you can get 2048x1536.

> "David Carlson" <dmcarlson@no-spam.yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I bought a ViewSonic VP171s, a 17-inch LCD panel to use with my Sony
>> Vaio which contains an nVidia GeForce2 MX (32 MB). The LCD panel's
>> native resolution is 1280x1024. When I connect the monitor via the
>> analog port, all is well; 1280x1024 no problem. When I connect the two
>> via the DVI port, the nVidia adapter indicates the monitor is at most
>> capable of 1024x768.
>>
>> I have updated the video BIOS from Sony (3.11.01.60). installed the
>> latest video driver from Nvidia, and grabbed the most recent monitor
>> .INF file from ViewSonic. So far, no luck - I'm stuck at 1024x768.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> David Carlson

Thanks for catching the typo...

"Julian" <jweng@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> TMDS --- Transition Minimized Differential Signaling
>
> "First of One" <daxinfx@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > From what I remember, pre-Geforce3 nVidia GPUs did not contain
integrated
> > TDMS transmitters. Your video card is using an external TDMS transmitter
> > chip to drive the DVI port. The maximum resolution supported is
dependent
> > on
> > the TDMS chip's speed. If you card has a cheap TDMS chip, topping out at
> > 1024x768 is entirely possible.
> >
> > In fact, on newer cards like the Gainward Ti4600 with dual DVI ports,
the
> > two ports top out at different resolutions. One port is driven by the
> > GF4's
> > integrated TDMS and is capable of 1600x1200, while the other is driven
by
> > an
> > external TDMS chip that tops out at 1280x1024. However, if you hook up
an
> > analog monitor to either port via an adapter, you can get 2048x1536.
> >
> > --
> > "War is the continuation of politics by other means.
> > It can therefore be said that politics is war without
> > bloodshed while war is politics with bloodshed."
> >

> > "David Carlson" <dmcarlson@no-spam.yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >> Hello all,
> >>
> >> I bought a ViewSonic VP171s, a 17-inch LCD panel to use with my Sony
> >> Vaio which contains an nVidia GeForce2 MX (32 MB). The LCD panel's
> >> native resolution is 1280x1024. When I connect the monitor via the
> >> analog port, all is well; 1280x1024 no problem. When I connect the two
> >> via the DVI port, the nVidia adapter indicates the monitor is at most
> >> capable of 1024x768.
> >>
> >> I have updated the video BIOS from Sony (3.11.01.60). installed the
> >> latest video driver from Nvidia, and grabbed the most recent monitor
> >> .INF file from ViewSonic. So far, no luck - I'm stuck at 1024x768.
> >>
> >> Any ideas?
> >>
> >> Thanks!
> >>
> >> David Carlson

TRENDING THREADS