Nvidia TNT2 card on an AMD 64 bit 3200+ pc

Luis

I have a Nvidia Riva TNT2 Model 64 video card and I'm thinking of
upgrading my pc to a AMD 64 bit 3200+

Will the Nvidia card work with the AMD 64 bit processor (with 512mb
DDR memory)?

Thanks

Just out of curiosity, WHY would you want to use an old slow-as-molasses
video card with a modern high speed CPU?

--
DaveW

"Luis" <andyza@***webmail***.co.za> wrote in message
>I have a Nvidia Riva TNT2 Model 64 video card and I'm thinking of
> upgrading my pc to a AMD 64 bit 3200+
>
> Will the Nvidia card work with the AMD 64 bit processor (with 512mb
> DDR memory)?
>
> Thanks

Tim

> Just out of curiosity, WHY would you want to use an old slow-as-molasses
> video card with a modern high speed CPU?
>
> --
> DaveW

Maybe it's just temporary until he can find a ViRGE.

"Luis" <andyza@***webmail***.co.za> wrote in message
>I have a Nvidia Riva TNT2 Model 64 video card and I'm thinking of
> upgrading my pc to a AMD 64 bit 3200+
>
> Will the Nvidia card work with the AMD 64 bit processor (with 512mb
> DDR memory)?
>
> Thanks

I take it you don't play any games. Well as long as it's AGP 4x it should
work fine.

Luis

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 15:19:13 +1100, "Nicholas Buenk" <morn@tpg.com.au>
wrote:

>I take it you don't play any games.

Not on the computer!
;->

Well, ok! Maybe Solitaire on the odd occasion! (Zzzzz.)

>Well as long as it's AGP 4x it should
>work fine.

Taken from a Nvidia brochure I dug up in the old pc box:

<snip>
1999 Features:
- AGP4x/2x
</snip>

But, I think I'll take the plunge and upgrade the card with the rest
of the system. This card is a bit on the antique side...

How good is the ATI RADEON 9200 with 256mb ddr?

Luis

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 00:45:18 GMT, "DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote:

>Just out of curiosity, WHY would you want to use an old slow-as-molasses
>video card with a modern high speed CPU?

My real name is Scrooge and I was looking for a way to get the
cheapest upgrade. But it's pretty clear that this is a really old card
and probably won't do the new system any good.

Dude

Seriously...

Is this because you read my TNT2 on Pentium III 450 mhz posts ? ;)

I just have to wonder about that heheheheh.

Bye,
Skybuck.

Skybuck Flying wrote:
> Dude
>
> Seriously...
>
> Is this because you read my TNT2 on Pentium III 450 mhz posts ? ;)
>
> I just have to wonder about that heheheheh.
>
> Bye,
> Skybuck.
>
> "Luis" <andyza@***webmail***.co.za> wrote in message
>
>>I have a Nvidia Riva TNT2 Model 64 video card and I'm thinking of
>>upgrading my pc to a AMD 64 bit 3200+
>>
>>Will the Nvidia card work with the AMD 64 bit processor (with 512mb
>>DDR memory)?
>>
>>Thanks

As long as the card is 4x agp compliant and is not a 3.3 volt card it
should work fine.

Why would you want to use such a card on such a modern machine

a) You dont play games or games that require a modern one
b) You havent decided what new card you want.
c) Youre cheap ;-)

I myself spent $20 on a Geforce2 mx for reason #2 and #3. :)

> I have a Nvidia Riva TNT2 Model 64 video card and I'm thinking of
> upgrading my pc to a AMD 64 bit 3200+
>
> Will the Nvidia card work with the AMD 64 bit processor (with 512mb
> DDR memory)?

Probably. I used a TNT2 M64 with my Athlon 64 3000+ while I was hunting
for a replacement fan for my GeForce FX 5900. It worked for 2D stuff
just fine.

> On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 15:19:13 +1100, "Nicholas Buenk" <morn@tpg.com.au>
> wrote:
>
>>I take it you don't play any games.
>
> Not on the computer!
> ;->
>
> Well, ok! Maybe Solitaire on the odd occasion! (Zzzzz.)
>
>>Well as long as it's AGP 4x it should
>>work fine.
>>

> Taken from a Nvidia brochure I dug up in the old pc box:
>
> <snip>
> 1999 Features:
> - AGP4x/2x
> </snip>
>
> But, I think I'll take the plunge and upgrade the card with the rest
> of the system. This card is a bit on the antique side...
>
> How good is the ATI RADEON 9200 with 256mb ddr?

Good enough for your needs certainly.

Luis wrote:

> I have a Nvidia Riva TNT2 Model 64 video card and I'm thinking of
> upgrading my pc to a AMD 64 bit 3200+
>
> Will the Nvidia card work with the AMD 64 bit processor (with 512mb
> DDR memory)?

The processor is not an issue. The voltage supplied by the motherboard is.
If the motherboard doesn't supply a voltage that the TNT2 can live with
then it won't run.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)