GPS on XDAII - Tom, Tom?

April 13, 2004 4:20:06 PM

Hi guys, first of all if this post appears twice I apologise, the
first didnt show as uploaded to me.

I have just bought an XDAII and am looking for a GPS solution for it.
I am very interested in the Tom Tom series and o2 seem to recommend it
as well.

I know from the Tom Tom site that their GPS software gives audio
directions, some thing I am very interested in, and that they have a
Bluetotth reciever, again one of the things that interested me.

However I am also looking for something that will give me voice
directions for the USA, more specifically California and Oregon.

Now I was in a cab in Oregon not too long ago and he had voice GPS but
I didnt see what the software company was.

Can anyone give advice on both the Tom Tom brand and if they have a
USA solution for me.

If they dont does anyone know if I can run other GPS software with a
Tom Tom reciever or do I have to buy a second reciever as well?

Cheers in advance everyone

Paul

More about : gps xdaii tom tom

Anonymous
April 13, 2004 5:19:27 PM

Hi
TomTom is available for the USA as well as Europe. I use it on an XDAii with
a bluetooth GPS and have had no problems.

If you use it pre the new OS update from O2, you will need a bluetooth
add-on to make it work. This is free from htpp://bluetooth.i-networkx.de/

I have used TomTom and Destinator and found TomTom to be the best. They have
a new version (3) which is out about now

HTH

Pete

--
Pete Vickers
Microsoft Windows Embedded MVP

"Paul" <ispartacus75@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi guys, first of all if this post appears twice I apologise, the
> first didnt show as uploaded to me.
>
> I have just bought an XDAII and am looking for a GPS solution for it.
> I am very interested in the Tom Tom series and o2 seem to recommend it
> as well.
>
> I know from the Tom Tom site that their GPS software gives audio
> directions, some thing I am very interested in, and that they have a
> Bluetotth reciever, again one of the things that interested me.
>
> However I am also looking for something that will give me voice
> directions for the USA, more specifically California and Oregon.
>
> Now I was in a cab in Oregon not too long ago and he had voice GPS but
> I didnt see what the software company was.
>
> Can anyone give advice on both the Tom Tom brand and if they have a
> USA solution for me.
>
> If they dont does anyone know if I can run other GPS software with a
> Tom Tom reciever or do I have to buy a second reciever as well?
>
> Cheers in advance everyone
>
> Paul

Anonymous
April 13, 2004 5:19:28 PM

TomTom Navigator USA is a great product and I like the fact that maps can
be loaded by state or region.

Another great voice navigation program I have used is Mapopolis Navigator.
Everything is very snappy with Mapopolis and the only aspect I don't like
is loading maps by county. Then again if you only need a couple counties
then the maps are quite inexpensive and the application is always free.

Matthew Miller (aka palmsolo)

In message <#UIsOGVIEHA.3476@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>, "Pete Vickers [eMVP]"
<pete at gui - innovations dot com> wrote:

> Hi
> TomTom is available for the USA as well as Europe. I use it on an XDAii
with
> a bluetooth GPS and have had no problems.
>
> If you use it pre the new OS update from O2, you will need a bluetooth
> add-on to make it work. This is free from htpp://bluetooth.i-networkx.de/
>
> I have used TomTom and Destinator and found TomTom to be the best. They
have
> a new version (3) which is out about now
>
> HTH
>
> Pete
>

> --
> Pete Vickers
> Microsoft Windows Embedded MVP
> HP Business Partner
> http://www.gui-innovations.com
>
> "Paul" <ispartacus75@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi guys, first of all if this post appears twice I apologise, the
> > first didnt show as uploaded to me.
> >
> > I have just bought an XDAII and am looking for a GPS solution for it.
> > I am very interested in the Tom Tom series and o2 seem to recommend it
> > as well.
> >
> > I know from the Tom Tom site that their GPS software gives audio
> > directions, some thing I am very interested in, and that they have a
> > Bluetotth reciever, again one of the things that interested me.
> >
> > However I am also looking for something that will give me voice
> > directions for the USA, more specifically California and Oregon.
> >
> > Now I was in a cab in Oregon not too long ago and he had voice GPS but
> > I didnt see what the software company was.
> >
> > Can anyone give advice on both the Tom Tom brand and if they have a
> > USA solution for me.
> >
> > If they dont does anyone know if I can run other GPS software with a
> > Tom Tom reciever or do I have to buy a second reciever as well?
> >
> > Cheers in advance everyone
> >
> > Paul

-Posted from my iPAQ 4350 and Ink Spot CE.
Anonymous
April 13, 2004 10:03:40 PM

Paul wrote:
> Hi guys, first of all if this post appears twice I apologise, the
> first didnt show as uploaded to me.
>
> I have just bought an XDAII and am looking for a GPS solution for it.
> I am very interested in the Tom Tom series and o2 seem to recommend it
> as well.
[SNIP]

Paul, TomTom is available fro both US and European markets, see our site for
a full review. Version 3 has just been released which adds a traffic data
subscription service over GPRS (great for the XDAII) that overlays
roadworks, traffic jams etc onto the map screen and can re-route you if you
wish.

The caveat is that the US are still on version 2 and the tow versions are
not interchangeable. For trips to the US a cheaper solution would be to but
Mapopolis for the area(s) that you are travelling through, this is
relatively inexpensive and fine for short stays although the software UI is
IMHO poorer than TomTom. Again we have reviews of this and many other
options on our site.
--
Darren Griffin
Pocket GPS World - http://www.pocketgpsworld.com