Amazing 6600GT's

Many 6600GT's tested.

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2295&p=1

Issue: Many have heatsinks that can lose contact with the gpu if you
inadvertantly push on them or they are packed unoptimumly.

Overall winner: Leadtek. Quiet, cool, good overclocking, kind of secure
heatsink.
Most secure heatsink, quiet, cool running, worst overclocker: Galaxy.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

Tim

"Ed Light" <nobody@nobody.there> wrote in message
> Many 6600GT's tested.
>
> http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2295&p=1
>
> Issue: Many have heatsinks that can lose contact with the gpu if you
> inadvertantly push on them or they are packed unoptimumly.
>
> Overall winner: Leadtek. Quiet, cool, good overclocking, kind of secure
> heatsink.
> Most secure heatsink, quiet, cool running, worst overclocker: Galaxy.

Great review. Thanks Ed.

And remember, LeadTek still has the best 2D analog filters, even though the
rest of the field has come a long way in this regard.

"Ed Light" <nobody@nobody.there> wrote in message
> Many 6600GT's tested.
>
> http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2295&p=1
>
> Issue: Many have heatsinks that can lose contact with the gpu if you
> inadvertantly push on them or they are packed unoptimumly.
>
> Overall winner: Leadtek. Quiet, cool, good overclocking, kind of secure
> heatsink.
> Most secure heatsink, quiet, cool running, worst overclocker: Galaxy.
>

> --
> Ed Light
>
> Smiley :-/
> MS Smiley :-\
>
> Send spam to the FTC at
> uce@ftc.gov
> Thanks, robots.

Tim

> And remember, LeadTek still has the best 2D analog filters, even though
> the
> rest of the field has come a long way in this regard.

I heard about that fuzzy 2D output problem. When did the other companies
fix it, GeForce 2 or later?

DaveL

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, Leadtek gets the gold. Now if only Xpcgear would ship it to me.

DaveL

"Ed Light" <nobody@nobody.there> wrote in message
> Many 6600GT's tested.
>
> http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2295&p=1
>
> Issue: Many have heatsinks that can lose contact with the gpu if you
> inadvertantly push on them or they are packed unoptimumly.
>
> Overall winner: Leadtek. Quiet, cool, good overclocking, kind of secure
> heatsink.
> Most secure heatsink, quiet, cool running, worst overclocker: Galaxy.
>

> --
> Ed Light
>
> Smiley :-/
> MS Smiley :-\
>
> Send spam to the FTC at
> uce@ftc.gov
> Thanks, robots.

william

Thanks for the link. Some reason for concern on a lot of cards with the
adhesive issue. I was just about to jump in and get a Gigabyte. Also I did
not see whether the cards were AGP or PCI express or if it made a
difference. Maybe I read too fast :)

Thanks again
Bill

"Ed Light" <nobody@nobody.there> wrote in message
> Many 6600GT's tested.
>
> http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2295&p=1
>
> Issue: Many have heatsinks that can lose contact with the gpu if you
> inadvertantly push on them or they are packed unoptimumly.
>
> Overall winner: Leadtek. Quiet, cool, good overclocking, kind of secure
> heatsink.
> Most secure heatsink, quiet, cool running, worst overclocker: Galaxy.
>

> --
> Ed Light
>
> Smiley :-/
> MS Smiley :-\
>
> Send spam to the FTC at
> uce@ftc.gov
> Thanks, robots.

Thanks for the link. Some reason for concern on a lot of cards with the
>adhesive issue. I was just about to jump in and get a Gigabyte. Also I did
not see whether the cards were AGP or PCI express or if it made a
<difference. Maybe I read too fast :)

Thanks again
<Bill

Didnt look at all the cards but the Gigabyte is a SLI PCI-E card with the PCB
connecting tab on the top of the card. DOUG

william

"Courseyauto" <courseyauto@aol.com> wrote in message
> They are all PCI-E SLI cards.

Thanks for that. I must be blind :)
Bill

> And remember, LeadTek still has the best 2D analog filters, even though
> the
> rest of the field has come a long way in this regard.

What do you think of Gainward's? When theirs comes out, it will have VIVO.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

"William" <alone@home.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for the link. Some reason for concern on a lot of cards with the
> adhesive issue. I was just about to jump in and get a Gigabyte. Also I did
> not see whether the cards were AGP or PCI express or if it made a
> difference. Maybe I read too fast :)

You'd maybe have to look at all their pictures to see. But I think they were
all pcx.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

"DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Yeah, Leadtek gets the gold. Now if only Xpcgear would ship it to me.

I think they listed it early by mistake. I don't think it's actually come
out yet (AGP version), kind of like all the Gainward VIVO's.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

"William" <alone@home.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for the link. Some reason for concern on a lot of cards with the
> adhesive issue. I was just about to jump in and get a Gigabyte. Also I did
> not see whether the cards were AGP or PCI express or if it made a
> difference. Maybe I read too fast :)

You'd maybe have to look at all their pictures to see. But I think they were
all pcx.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

They are all PCI-E express, that are SLI capable with the bridge at the top of
the card for the connecting pcb bridge. PCX is a chipset designation for Nvidia
..

2D quality on nVidia cards still varied greatly on the Geforce3 generation.
See this Anandtech article:

http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.aspx?i=1507&p=4

Even on today's cards, you'll still see a difference between LeadTek and the
other brands if you
crank up the resolution (1600x1200+) on a good monitor, with BNC cabling.
However, for most people this is becoming a non-issue.

Interestingly, historically ATi and 3dfx-branded cards always had good 2D
quality, thanks to good in-house component selection. When ATi started
selling chipsets to other card-makers like FIC and Hercules, 2D image
quality actually became inconsistent. See:

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20021104/r9700pro-cards-02.html

"Tim" <argybargy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I heard about that fuzzy 2D output problem. When did the other companies
> fix it, GeForce 2 or later?

Ed

Can I ask you (as an expert) a naive question?
I am going to buy (backordered from Overclockers two weeks ago) an Asus
Extreme N6600GT TOP GeForce PCX6600 GT 128MB DDR3 TV-Out/DVI (PCI-Express) &
DOOM 3 Bundle - Retail (GX-055-AS)

After reading the review I found out that this video card was not included
and I was not able to satisfy my curiosity as to where exactly this ASUS
card would stand.
I hope though that ASUS would not have the heatsink problem, but who knows.
What would your judgement be on this card based on your experience?
Thank you in advance for your help!

Cheers,
Jordan

"Ed Light" <nobody@nobody.there> wrote in message
> Many 6600GT's tested.
>
> http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2295&p=1
>
> Issue: Many have heatsinks that can lose contact with the gpu if you
> inadvertantly push on them or they are packed unoptimumly.
>
> Overall winner: Leadtek. Quiet, cool, good overclocking, kind of secure
> heatsink.
> Most secure heatsink, quiet, cool running, worst overclocker: Galaxy.
>

> --
> Ed Light
>
> Smiley :-/
> MS Smiley :-\
>
> Send spam to the FTC at
> uce@ftc.gov
> Thanks, robots.

I'm hoping someone else will know.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

"Jordan Petkov" <jordan.petkov1@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
> Ed
>
> Can I ask you (as an expert) a naive question?
> I am going to buy (backordered from Overclockers two weeks ago) an Asus
> Extreme N6600GT TOP GeForce PCX6600 GT 128MB DDR3 TV-Out/DVI (PCI-Express)
> &
> DOOM 3 Bundle - Retail (GX-055-AS)
>
> After reading the review I found out that this video card was not included
> and I was not able to satisfy my curiosity as to where exactly this ASUS
> card would stand.
> I hope though that ASUS would not have the heatsink problem, but who
> knows.
> What would your judgement be on this card based on your experience?
> Thank you in advance for your help!
>
> Cheers,
> Jordan
>
> "Ed Light" <nobody@nobody.there> wrote in message
>> Many 6600GT's tested.
>>
>> http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2295&p=1
>>
>> Issue: Many have heatsinks that can lose contact with the gpu if you
>> inadvertantly push on them or they are packed unoptimumly.
>>
>> Overall winner: Leadtek. Quiet, cool, good overclocking, kind of secure
>> heatsink.
>> Most secure heatsink, quiet, cool running, worst overclocker: Galaxy.
>>

>> --
>> Ed Light
>>
>> Smiley :-/
>> MS Smiley :-\
>>
>> Send spam to the FTC at
>> uce@ftc.gov
>> Thanks, robots.

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

Ed Light wrote:
> "DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net> wrote in message
>
>>Yeah, Leadtek gets the gold. Now if only Xpcgear would ship it to me.
>

> I think they listed it early by mistake. I don't think it's actually come
> out yet (AGP version), kind of like all the Gainward VIVO's.

Whoa! I picked up my Gainward 6600GT AGP just about a week or so ago.

First time I've actually heard of something arrive in Australia before
the US :)

Mind you, the store only had half their stock after I left, (they only
had two).

Dave

"Dave" <QBXVRAVCYLPD@spammotel.com> wrote

> Whoa! I picked up my Gainward 6600GT AGP just about a week or so ago.

You Aussies are drawing the luck!

Is it quiet or loud?

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

Yeah, does it sound like a hairdryer?

> "Dave" <QBXVRAVCYLPD@spammotel.com> wrote
>
>> Whoa! I picked up my Gainward 6600GT AGP just about a week or so ago.
>
> You Aussies are drawing the luck!
>
> Is it quiet or loud?
>

> --
> Ed Light
>
> Smiley :-/
> MS Smiley :-\
>
> Send spam to the FTC at
> uce@ftc.gov
> Thanks, robots.

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

Ed Light wrote:
> "Dave" <QBXVRAVCYLPD@spammotel.com> wrote
>

>>Whoa! I picked up my Gainward 6600GT AGP just about a week or so ago.
>

> You Aussies are drawing the luck!
>
> Is it quiet or loud?

Don't know, certainly the machine doesn't sound any louder than when the
PowerColor 9600Pro was in there.

I can't hear it over the twin PSU fans or CPU HSF.

The Gainward fan can be dynamically controlled or set manually from 50%
to 100% - there seems to be no change in volume when I set it to either
extreme - guess it's not running ;)

Absolutely, positively nowehere near the sound output of my wife's
hairdryer :)

Re, the Anandtech writeup - they should have given the stock clock
speeds of all the cards, (they only mention some in passing).

The Gainward 6600GT "Golden Sample", (as is mine - supposedly
hand-picked parts), is clocked standard at 540/1050, (the "Golden
Sample" GLH is 540/1150).

BTW, as standard the card runs at 300/1050 for 2D, then shifts to
540/1050 for 3D but can be varied between 300-600/900-1100 using the
Gainward EXPERTool.

Dave

Dave,

Thanks for the review of your Gainward.

From the looks of the Gainward, it has a heatsink that won't wobble like the
ones in the AnandTech review, since it appears to use all the mounting
points of the card to cover everything.

BTW, have you tried out the video in? What sort of video software comes with
it? Anything that can capture?

My optimum card would be a Gainward with a VGA Silencer on it. They don't
make one for the 6600's yet.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

Ed Light wrote:
> Dave,
>
> Thanks for the review of your Gainward.
>
> From the looks of the Gainward, it has a heatsink that won't wobble like the
> ones in the AnandTech review, since it appears to use all the mounting
> points of the card to cover everything.

Honestly didn't pay any attention to it in my rush to install :)

> BTW, have you tried out the video in? What sort of video software comes with
> it? Anything that can capture?

Video-in works - about all I can say about, I use the video-in on my
LifeView 3000 TV card for analog capture....at least until someone comes
up with something that utilises the GPU onboard hardware encoder.

Comes with WinDVD5 and something called 'muvee autoProducer 3' which is
the most 'dumbed down' excuse for a video editing program I've ever
seen. I installed it, then uninstalled it 30 seconds later....OK, I
exaggerate, 60 seconds later.

For analog capture I use, VirtualVCR, VirtualDub or the LifeView TVR
software, then butcher as sees fit in Vegas5.

Dave

The wobbliness is caused by using a contiguous heat sink for both the GPU
and memory. Of course, there are no tie-down points around the memory...