GeForce 6600GT AGP - PC Lockups

Hi,

I just bought a new Chaintech GeForce 6600 AGP 128MB and when I got
home I immediately installed it. Uninstalled old drivers and installed new driver
that came with CD (66.81 methinks).

Unfortunately all games freeze and the PC locks up a little while into it. Need For
Speed Underground 2 even locks up in the menus! Surely this cant be overheating
related ? This happens even when I boot with a cold AGP card and immediately
tries a games. The heatsink/fan on the card doesnt feel all that hot.

Powersupply perhaps? I have a 300W PSU like they suggest on the box. I even
unplugged my CD Writer and other peripherals and now only have the AGP card
and two harddrives installed and yet it still happens.

Help!

Harry

PC:

Chaintech NForce2 Mobo
AMD 2800+
512MB DDR 400
2x 7200rpm 8MB Hardrives
WinXP Proffesional
DirectX 9.0c

Be sure to reboot between each driver deletion/selection/installation.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

Herman Stoffberg wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just bought a new Chaintech GeForce 6600 AGP 128MB and when I got
> home I immediately installed it. Uninstalled old drivers and installed new driver
> that came with CD (66.81 methinks).

The 6600GT is not supported until driver 66.93 according to nVidia
release info, you'll need to download it.

My Gainward 6600GT AGP also came with 66.81, the Geforce6 series isn't
mentioned in the supported cards list.

> Unfortunately all games freeze and the PC locks up a little while into it. Need For
> Speed Underground 2 even locks up in the menus! Surely this cant be overheating
> related ? This happens even when I boot with a cold AGP card and immediately
> tries a games. The heatsink/fan on the card doesnt feel all that hot.

So it works OK under the OS?

> Powersupply perhaps? I have a 300W PSU like they suggest on the box. I even
> unplugged my CD Writer and other peripherals and now only have the AGP card
> and two harddrives installed and yet it still happens.

Is it a 'real' 300W PSU, or a 300W PSU that only has a max of 185W, (or
less), on the 3.3V + 5V lines?

It should tell you on the label, (I use a CodeGen 550W, max 385W on 3.3V
+ 5V).

You have connected the extra power connector to the card?

Dave

Thanks Dave,

Will have to check my PSU to see what it says.
Yeah it runs fine in WINXP. Only games gives problems.
Yes I have connected the power cable.

I will try the newer drivers.

Thanks

Dave wrote:

> Herman Stoffberg wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I just bought a new Chaintech GeForce 6600 AGP 128MB and when I got
> > home I immediately installed it. Uninstalled old drivers and installed new driver
> > that came with CD (66.81 methinks).
>
> The 6600GT is not supported until driver 66.93 according to nVidia
> release info, you'll need to download it.
>
> My Gainward 6600GT AGP also came with 66.81, the Geforce6 series isn't
> mentioned in the supported cards list.
>
> > Unfortunately all games freeze and the PC locks up a little while into it. Need For
> > Speed Underground 2 even locks up in the menus! Surely this cant be overheating
> > related ? This happens even when I boot with a cold AGP card and immediately
> > tries a games. The heatsink/fan on the card doesnt feel all that hot.
>
> So it works OK under the OS?
>
> > Powersupply perhaps? I have a 300W PSU like they suggest on the box. I even
> > unplugged my CD Writer and other peripherals and now only have the AGP card
> > and two harddrives installed and yet it still happens.
>
> Is it a 'real' 300W PSU, or a 300W PSU that only has a max of 185W, (or
> less), on the 3.3V + 5V lines?
>
> It should tell you on the label, (I use a CodeGen 550W, max 385W on 3.3V
> + 5V).
>
> You have connected the extra power connector to the card?
>
> Dave

My Evga 6800 ultra was crashing in Far Cry. I loaded the 67. beta driver
from Nvidia, and haven't had a problem so far... (fingers crossed)..