  • Product
Last response: in Graphics Cards
Anonymous
December 11, 2004 8:59:58 PM

Gday all
I know this has prolly been asked heaps of times but what are the
feelings/opinions on which card would be better performer?
I am in the market for one and they r in the same price range(close enough
anyway).
The GF6800GT is an OEM for approx $630 AUD dollars and the X800PRO a couple
of dollars more.
It would be going into a system with 2.8 intel/1gb DDR400/ msi 865pe neo2
mb/sb audigy(replacing a dodgey 9600XT)

any ideas/opinions appreciated

thanks in advance

Staf

More about : gf6800gt x800pro

Anonymous
December 11, 2004 8:59:59 PM

I would get the 6800GT (heh I did).
http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041004/vga_c...
As you can see here, it beats the X800 pro in nearly every single benchmark.
It is also newer technology in that it supports Shader Model 3 and 32 bit
while the X800 series only support 24 bit.
So, for less money and greater performance and better drivers and slower
obsoletion rate, the 6800GT is the card to buy.
Oh and you can then do what I did and get the NvSilencer aftermarket cooling
solution.

"pugpep" <pugpep@iinet.net.au> wrote in message
> Gday all
> I know this has prolly been asked heaps of times but what are the
> feelings/opinions on which card would be better performer?
> I am in the market for one and they r in the same price range(close enough
> anyway).
> The GF6800GT is an OEM for approx $630 AUD dollars and the X800PRO a
> couple of dollars more.
> It would be going into a system with 2.8 intel/1gb DDR400/ msi 865pe neo2
> mb/sb audigy(replacing a dodgey 9600XT)
>
> any ideas/opinions appreciated
>
> thanks in advance
>
> Staf

Anonymous
December 11, 2004 8:59:59 PM

Note on this page the specs of these two cards:
http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041004/vga_c...
X800 Pro: DX 9.0b, 256 bit, 12x1, 520/1120
6800 GT: DX 9.0c, 256 bit, 16x1, 350/1000
The only thing the X800 Pro has on the 6800 GT is clock speed but even then,
pushing those chips to such high speeds does not make up for 16 pipes vs. 12
pipes. Kinda like a 2-valve V8 vs. a 2-valve V6. You gotta really wind that
V6 up to high RPMs to get horsepower out of it and still can't touch the V8
:)

"pugpep" <pugpep@iinet.net.au> wrote in message
> Gday all
> I know this has prolly been asked heaps of times but what are the
> feelings/opinions on which card would be better performer?
> I am in the market for one and they r in the same price range(close enough
> anyway).
> The GF6800GT is an OEM for approx $630 AUD dollars and the X800PRO a
> couple of dollars more.
> It would be going into a system with 2.8 intel/1gb DDR400/ msi 865pe neo2
> mb/sb audigy(replacing a dodgey 9600XT)
>
> any ideas/opinions appreciated
>
> thanks in advance
>
> Staf

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
December 11, 2004 8:59:59 PM

"pugpep" <pugpep@iinet.net.au> wrote in message

> Gday all

> The GF6800GT is an OEM for approx $630 AUD dollars and the X800PRO a
couple
> of dollars more.

> It would be going into a system with 2.8 intel/1gb DDR400/ msi 865pe neo2
> mb/sb audigy(replacing a dodgey 9600XT)
>
> any ideas/opinions appreciated

I would stick with the GT if you like nvidia products. I can not compare the
ATI and GT, but I can compare the GT and a non-GT 6800 against each other,
and the GT, so far, has been able to run 1600x1200x32x(2xFSAA)x(8AF) in
every application at frame rates greater than 40fps. Much better than the
non GT which can only do that at 12x9.

(Matched with AMD 3200+, 1G 2-3-2-5, Audigy2 ZS)

I see you already have an ATI card, where is your brand loyalty?
Anonymous
December 11, 2004 9:00:00 PM

Scotter wrote:

> Note on this page the specs of these two cards:
> http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041004/vga_c...
> X800 Pro: DX 9.0b, 256 bit, 12x1, 520/1120
> 6800 GT: DX 9.0c, 256 bit, 16x1, 350/1000
> The only thing the X800 Pro has on the 6800 GT is clock speed but even
> then, pushing those chips to such high speeds does not make up for 16
> pipes vs. 12 pipes. Kinda like a 2-valve V8 vs. a 2-valve V6. You gotta
> really wind that V6 up to high RPMs to get horsepower out of it and still
> can't touch the V8

Well, now, if it's a 2000 liter V-6 and a 0.5 liter V-8 then that's not
quite so. There's no substitute for displacement.

You young guys don't remember when Ford stuck a 7-liter
single-Holley-carburetor pushrod V-8 in a GT chassis and kicked Ferrari's
5-liter 12-cylinder 6-Webered dual overhead cam ass from one end of Europe
to the other.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

J. Clarke wrote:
> Scotter wrote:
>

>>Note on this page the specs of these two cards:
>>http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041004/vga_c...
>>X800 Pro: DX 9.0b, 256 bit, 12x1, 520/1120
>>6800 GT: DX 9.0c, 256 bit, 16x1, 350/1000
>>The only thing the X800 Pro has on the 6800 GT is clock speed but even
>>then, pushing those chips to such high speeds does not make up for 16
>>pipes vs. 12 pipes. Kinda like a 2-valve V8 vs. a 2-valve V6. You gotta
>>really wind that V6 up to high RPMs to get horsepower out of it and still
>>can't touch the V8
>

> Well, now, if it's a 2000 liter V-6 and a 0.5 liter V-8 then that's not
> quite so. There's no substitute for displacement.
>
> You young guys don't remember when Ford stuck a 7-liter
> single-Holley-carburetor pushrod V-8 in a GT chassis and kicked Ferrari's
> 5-liter 12-cylinder 6-Webered dual overhead cam ass from one end of Europe
> to the other.

and if your where to go through the Alps in Winter, a Porsche would kick
both of there butts to hell and back *8)

>>:)
>>
>>"pugpep" <pugpep@iinet.net.au> wrote in message
>>
>>>Gday all
>>>I know this has prolly been asked heaps of times but what are the
>>>feelings/opinions on which card would be better performer?
>>>I am in the market for one and they r in the same price range(close
>>>enough anyway).
>>>The GF6800GT is an OEM for approx $630 AUD dollars and the X800PRO a
>>>couple of dollars more.
>>>It would be going into a system with 2.8 intel/1gb DDR400/ msi 865pe neo2
>>>mb/sb audigy(replacing a dodgey 9600XT)
>>>
>>>any ideas/opinions appreciated
>>>
>>>thanks in advance
>>>
>>>Staf

Anonymous
December 12, 2004 5:55:46 AM

"pugpep" <pugpep@iinet.net.au> wrote in message
> Gday all
> I know this has prolly been asked heaps of times but what are the
> feelings/opinions on which card would be better performer?
> I am in the market for one and they r in the same price range(close enough
> anyway).
> The GF6800GT is an OEM for approx $630 AUD dollars and the X800PRO a
> couple of dollars more.
> It would be going into a system with 2.8 intel/1gb DDR400/ msi 865pe neo2
> mb/sb audigy(replacing a dodgey 9600XT)
>
> any ideas/opinions appreciated
>
> thanks in advance
>
> Staf

What brand is that OEM one? Anyway the GT beats the x800pro in most tests.
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 8:03:32 AM

> Scotter wrote:
>
>> Note on this page the specs of these two cards:
>> http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041004/vga_c...
>> X800 Pro: DX 9.0b, 256 bit, 12x1, 520/1120
>> 6800 GT: DX 9.0c, 256 bit, 16x1, 350/1000
>> The only thing the X800 Pro has on the 6800 GT is clock speed but even
>> then, pushing those chips to such high speeds does not make up for 16
>> pipes vs. 12 pipes. Kinda like a 2-valve V8 vs. a 2-valve V6. You gotta
>> really wind that V6 up to high RPMs to get horsepower out of it and still
>> can't touch the V8
>
> Well, now, if it's a 2000 liter V-6 and a 0.5 liter V-8 then that's not
> quite so. There's no substitute for displacement.
>
> You young guys don't remember when Ford stuck a 7-liter
> single-Holley-carburetor pushrod V-8 in a GT chassis and kicked Ferrari's
> 5-liter 12-cylinder 6-Webered dual overhead cam ass from one end of Europe
> to the other.

Nothing bets a spitfires engine, 30 litre V12, they don't make combustion
engines like they used to in the 40's any more. ;)
Anyway, we can see that the x800 is less efficient than the 6800 core,
compare the XT and the Ultra which both have 16 pipes but the XT has more
mhz, and the Ultra still keeps up.

>> :)
>>
>> "pugpep" <pugpep@iinet.net.au> wrote in message
>>> Gday all
>>> I know this has prolly been asked heaps of times but what are the
>>> feelings/opinions on which card would be better performer?
>>> I am in the market for one and they r in the same price range(close
>>> enough anyway).
>>> The GF6800GT is an OEM for approx $630 AUD dollars and the X800PRO a
>>> couple of dollars more.
>>> It would be going into a system with 2.8 intel/1gb DDR400/ msi 865pe
>>> neo2
>>> mb/sb audigy(replacing a dodgey 9600XT)
>>>
>>> any ideas/opinions appreciated
>>>
>>> thanks in advance
>>>
>>> Staf
>>>

> --
> --John
> Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
> (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 10:29:19 AM

"Nicholas Buenk" <morn@tpg.com.au> wrote in message

> "pugpep" <pugpep@iinet.net.au> wrote in message
>> Gday all
>> I know this has prolly been asked heaps of times but what are the
>> feelings/opinions on which card would be better performer?
>> I am in the market for one and they r in the same price range(close
>> enough anyway).
>> The GF6800GT is an OEM for approx $630 AUD dollars and the X800PRO a
>> couple of dollars more.
>> It would be going into a system with 2.8 intel/1gb DDR400/ msi 865pe neo2
>> mb/sb audigy(replacing a dodgey 9600XT)
>>
>> any ideas/opinions appreciated
>>
>> thanks in advance
>>
>> Staf
>
> What brand is that OEM one? Anyway the GT beats the x800pro in most tests.

I think its powercolour or leadtek tho not realy sure

cheers
for replys

Staf
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 10:31:01 AM

"Friendly Guru" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message

> "pugpep" <pugpep@iinet.net.au> wrote in message
>
>> Gday all
>
>> The GF6800GT is an OEM for approx $630 AUD dollars and the X800PRO a
> couple
>> of dollars more.
>
>> It would be going into a system with 2.8 intel/1gb DDR400/ msi 865pe neo2
>> mb/sb audigy(replacing a dodgey 9600XT)
>>
>> any ideas/opinions appreciated
>
> I would stick with the GT if you like nvidia products. I can not compare
> the
> ATI and GT, but I can compare the GT and a non-GT 6800 against each other,
> and the GT, so far, has been able to run 1600x1200x32x(2xFSAA)x(8AF) in
> every application at frame rates greater than 40fps. Much better than the
> non GT which can only do that at 12x9.
>
> (Matched with AMD 3200+, 1G 2-3-2-5, Audigy2 ZS)
>
> I see you already have an ATI card, where is your brand loyalty?

No brand loyalty realy
best bang for buck

cheeers
Staf
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 3:37:16 AM

i was in the same boat, trying to decide between these two. I had a
gf3ti200 thatI replaced in August with a 9800pro. I never felt I had
the upgrade I wanted, although the 9800 was good it was not great. So
I sold it.

I got my eVGA 6800gt last week, installed the NV5 on it, and even
before overclocking, I was extremely happy with the purchase. To be
honest, you don't even need to overclock it to the ultra speeds to
enjoy it, but since you can so easily, why not :)

I researched the x800 vs 6800gt quite a bit, the gt beats it almost
every time. Very happy so far.
Anonymous
December 16, 2004 11:31:21 PM

J. Clarke wrote:

> Well, now, if it's a 2000 liter V-6 and a 0.5 liter V-8 then that's
> not quite so. There's no substitute for displacement.
>
> You young guys don't remember when Ford stuck a 7-liter
> single-Holley-carburetor pushrod V-8 in a GT chassis and kicked
> Ferrari's 5-liter 12-cylinder 6-Webered dual overhead cam ass from
> one end of Europe to the other.

Heh, when in doubt...

My bud's '57 DeSoto Adventurer used to push that huge chassis around a lot
faster than a lot of the other lighter stuff around. 'Course, the engine was
about 500 lb. and the size of a pregnant cow. Coulda used a coffee can for a
ring compressor.

--
dvus