Geforce 4 TI 4600 Driver update

Hi there,

I've searched the groups for a solution but can't seem to find the
answer to my problem:

My PC specs are:
AMD Athlon XP 2400+ CPU
512MB ram
ASUS A7V-8X-A-L motherboard
Geforce 4 TI 4600 Graphics card
Mitsubishu DPro 930 Monitor

The problem I have is when I try to upgrade my graphics card drivers.
Everything is seemingly ok for a couple of reboots but then the monitor
switches itself to power save mode during boot up. Occasionally just
prior to this I get a white box in the middle of the screen with moving
diagnal lines behind.

Somebody mentioned that it could be something to do with display
refresh rate but I've only got it set to 75 hz on a 1152 x 864
resolution (which I consider to be minimum). I did consider upgrading
the motherboard drivers but after going to the VIA website, and not
been particularly techie, frankly I was terrified!

Can any one point me in the right direction? Anybody had similar
problems?

Thanks in advance
19 answers Last reply
More about geforce 4600 driver update

    The latest VIA chipset drivers are the 4.55 Hyperion vp1.

    http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=2

    They have a self-installer.

    Joe

    <rob.walsh@goldserve.net> wrote in message
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I've searched the groups for a solution but can't seem to find the
    > answer to my problem:
    >
    > My PC specs are:
    > AMD Athlon XP 2400+ CPU
    > 512MB ram
    > ASUS A7V-8X-A-L motherboard
    > Geforce 4 TI 4600 Graphics card
    > Mitsubishu DPro 930 Monitor
    >
    > The problem I have is when I try to upgrade my graphics card drivers.
    > Everything is seemingly ok for a couple of reboots but then the monitor
    > switches itself to power save mode during boot up. Occasionally just
    > prior to this I get a white box in the middle of the screen with moving
    > diagnal lines behind.
    >
    > Somebody mentioned that it could be something to do with display
    > refresh rate but I've only got it set to 75 hz on a 1152 x 864
    > resolution (which I consider to be minimum). I did consider upgrading
    > the motherboard drivers but after going to the VIA website, and not
    > been particularly techie, frankly I was terrified!
    >
    > Can any one point me in the right direction? Anybody had similar
    > problems?
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    You should definitely have the drivers installed as Joe says.

    I had another thought though. Gainward made a batch of Ti4X00 cards with
    faulty capacitors (do a google). Many of them seem to play up when the cold
    weather comes.

    Paul

    "Joe727" <nospam.nospam@nospam> wrote in message
    > The latest VIA chipset drivers are the 4.55 Hyperion vp1.
    >
    > http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=2
    >
    > They have a self-installer.
    >
    > Joe
    >
    > <rob.walsh@goldserve.net> wrote in message
    >> Hi there,
    >>
    >> I've searched the groups for a solution but can't seem to find the
    >> answer to my problem:
    >>
    >> My PC specs are:
    >> AMD Athlon XP 2400+ CPU
    >> 512MB ram
    >> ASUS A7V-8X-A-L motherboard
    >> Geforce 4 TI 4600 Graphics card
    >> Mitsubishu DPro 930 Monitor
    >>
    >> The problem I have is when I try to upgrade my graphics card drivers.
    >> Everything is seemingly ok for a couple of reboots but then the monitor
    >> switches itself to power save mode during boot up. Occasionally just
    >> prior to this I get a white box in the middle of the screen with moving
    >> diagnal lines behind.
    >>
    >> Somebody mentioned that it could be something to do with display
    >> refresh rate but I've only got it set to 75 hz on a 1152 x 864
    >> resolution (which I consider to be minimum). I did consider upgrading
    >> the motherboard drivers but after going to the VIA website, and not
    >> been particularly techie, frankly I was terrified!
    >>
    >> Can any one point me in the right direction? Anybody had similar
    >> problems?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance

    Thanks Guys,

    I'll download the new drivers and see how I go on from there.

    Interesting what you say about the capacitors though because after I
    install the new graphics drivers they usually work fine after a few
    reboots. It's only the next day that they start to play up when I boot
    up from cold. Hmmm....

    Thanks again!

    Rob

    Hi again,

    I've been back to Mesh re the above problem as I still can't install
    the latest drivers. They've told me to look through the archive of
    older drivers to see if they work.

    Surely this is a load of old nonsense. Either Nvidia support my card or
    they don't.

    Anyone have any thoughts on what my next step should be?
    Thanks in advance,

    Rob.

    The latest drivers will NOT work with that older card. The latest drivers
    were designed for cards that support DX9, which yours does NOT. Use the
    45.23 driver from Nvidia for stability with that older card.

    --
    DaveW

    > Hi again,
    >
    > I've been back to Mesh re the above problem as I still can't install
    > the latest drivers. They've told me to look through the archive of
    > older drivers to see if they work.
    >
    > Surely this is a load of old nonsense. Either Nvidia support my card or
    > they don't.
    >
    > Anyone have any thoughts on what my next step should be?
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Rob.

    That's a lie!

    DaveL

    DaveW wrote:
    > <rob.walsh@goldserve.net> wrote in message

    >> Hi again,
    >>
    >> I've been back to Mesh re the above problem as I still can't install
    >> the latest drivers. They've told me to look through the archive of
    >> older drivers to see if they work.
    >>
    >> Surely this is a load of old nonsense. Either Nvidia support my card
    >> or they don't.
    >>
    >> Anyone have any thoughts on what my next step should be?
    >> Thanks in advance,

    > The latest drivers will NOT work with that older card. The latest
    > drivers were designed for cards that support DX9, which yours does
    > NOT. Use the 45.23 driver from Nvidia for stability with that older card.

    I dunno, I used every new beta/leaked/certified nVidia driver that I found
    on my Ti4200 8X and never got anything but good results. Never did anything
    but install the new drivers over the old, either.

    --
    dvus

    Can't say the same thing, My PNY Ti4200 always gets better performance
    from 45.23 than from anything newer. Benchmark scores and framerates in
    games drops when using later drivers.
    Just my two cents - from personal experience.

    DaveW wrote:
    > The latest drivers will NOT work with that older card. The latest drivers
    > were designed for cards that support DX9, which yours does NOT. Use the
    > 45.23 driver from Nvidia for stability with that older card.

    Enough of this rubbish! I'm using a 6x series driver with my GeForce 2
    Pro and GeForce 4 Ti without issue. Some people may be having problems,
    but making blanket statements like that above are wrong.

    Cheers Guys,

    At the moment I'm running driver 45.23 and everything seems to be
    running ok-ish. I'm playing Half Life 2 and apart from the odd moment
    where it seems to briefly get stuck in a loop, it seems to be running
    ok. I wasn't sure if this was because of the old drivers.

    As a side issue, will adding another 512mb memory make a big difference
    or should I start thinking about upgrading my card?

    Cheers Guys,

    At the moment I'm running driver 45.23 and everything seems to be
    running ok-ish. I'm playing Half Life 2 and apart from the odd moment
    where it seems to briefly get stuck in a loop, it seems to be running
    ok. I wasn't sure if this was because of the old drivers.

    As a side issue, will adding another 512mb memory make a big difference
    or should I start thinking about upgrading my card?
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    Gil wrote:

    > Can't say the same thing, My PNY Ti4200 always gets better performance
    > from 45.23 than from anything newer. Benchmark scores and framerates
    > in games drops when using later drivers.
    > Just my two cents - from personal experience.

    <shrug...>, some in here agree with your findings, others not so much. What
    seems important is to determine what works best for you and go with that.

    --
    dvus
  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    I would agree with you if my personal experience was different. Newer
    drivers definately WORK, but my Ti4200 runs faster and better with
    older drivers. Sorry if you don't agree with me, but I have been down
    this road. 10-15% performance hit is enough for me to switch back to an
    older driver.

    I think you will find that other owners of Geforce 4 Titanium cards
    agree with me.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    > The latest drivers will NOT work with that older card. The latest drivers
    > were designed for cards that support DX9, which yours does NOT. Use the
    > 45.23 driver from Nvidia for stability with that older card.

    I honestly don't understand why people still claim this once in a while.
    For years now Nvidia drivers have been unified and designed to work with ALL
    Geforce cards. It's true that some of the newer drivers may give slightly
    slower performance (people report varying results in this regard), but it's
    also true that they fix issues with various apps and games. It doesn't
    matter that the new drivers are designed to work with DX9 cards -- they're
    designed to work with earlier cards as well.

    I'd personally recommend using the latest drivers from Nvidia for ANY
    Geforce card if you want the most trouble free installation.

    Larry
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    Gil wrote:
    > I would agree with you if my personal experience was different. Newer
    > drivers definately WORK, but my Ti4200 runs faster and better with
    > older drivers. Sorry if you don't agree with me, but I have been down
    > this road. 10-15% performance hit is enough for me to switch back to an
    > older driver.
    >
    > I think you will find that other owners of Geforce 4 Titanium cards
    > agree with me.

    Read again, you just agreed with everything he said!
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    I'm new to nVidia just buying a 2nd hand pc with a TI4800SE in it. I've
    installed the latest drivers, 66.93 I think. What drivers would you
    recommend instead?

    "@lias" <yahoo.com@kix_pet> wrote in message news:41e103c5@clear.net.nz...
    > Gil wrote:
    >> I would agree with you if my personal experience was different. Newer
    >> drivers definately WORK, but my Ti4200 runs faster and better with
    >> older drivers. Sorry if you don't agree with me, but I have been down
    >> this road. 10-15% performance hit is enough for me to switch back to an
    >> older driver.
    >>
    >> I think you will find that other owners of Geforce 4 Titanium cards
    >> agree with me.
    >>
    > Read again, you just agreed with everything he said!
  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    pjp wrote:
    > I'm new to nVidia just buying a 2nd hand pc with a TI4800SE in it. I've
    > installed the latest drivers, 66.93 I think. What drivers would you
    > recommend instead?

    First off, I'd recommend that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If you
    don't have any problems with 66.93, then leave them there and play some
    games!
  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    "@lias" <yahoo.com@kix_pet> wrote in message news:41e3639c$1@clear.net.nz...
    > pjp wrote:
    >> I'm new to nVidia just buying a 2nd hand pc with a TI4800SE in it. I've
    >> installed the latest drivers, 66.93 I think. What drivers would you
    >> recommend instead?
    >>
    > First off, I'd recommend that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If you
    > don't have any problems with 66.93, then leave them there and play some
    > games!

    U r probably right. Most games running finest kind, e.g. complete MOH
    series, Halo, UT2004, POP-SOT, COD, NFSU & U2, DF-BHD, PainKiller, Doom 3
    etc. etc.

    Only having real problems with two games, both VRally 3 and HFS-HP2 just
    terminate back to desktop with no error or anything. I have to assume
    beforehand) as NFS-HP2 did run when first brought machine home although
    VRally 3 didn't then either. Both games run finest kind (meaning no hiccups
    although slow) on my old PIII so know it's not the cd's etc.

    I also seem to recall Unreal II had a problem at some cut scene at start of
    first mission also. I'm not entirely convinced yet that the problems I've
    seen aren't codec related rather than video driver etc. Most cases haven't
    bothered to track down patches etc. as I'm still in process of deciding just
    what ones I'm loading up system with.
  19. My PC specs are:
    AMD Athlon Sempron 3000
    1024MB ram visipro pc 3200 dual channel
    ASUS K8N motherboard Forceware driver
    Geforce 4 TI 4200 8x Graphics card driver 61.77
    Samsung 765 MB Monitor res 1600 x 1024 75 Hz

    My Driver does't have any Problem for my graphic card

    Quote:

[...]

Nvidia Geforce Graphics