Geforce 4 TI 4600 Driver update

Hi there,

I've searched the groups for a solution but can't seem to find the
answer to my problem:

My PC specs are:
AMD Athlon XP 2400+ CPU
512MB ram
ASUS A7V-8X-A-L motherboard
Geforce 4 TI 4600 Graphics card
Mitsubishu DPro 930 Monitor

The problem I have is when I try to upgrade my graphics card drivers.
Everything is seemingly ok for a couple of reboots but then the monitor
switches itself to power save mode during boot up. Occasionally just
prior to this I get a white box in the middle of the screen with moving
diagnal lines behind.

Somebody mentioned that it could be something to do with display
refresh rate but I've only got it set to 75 hz on a 1152 x 864
resolution (which I consider to be minimum). I did consider upgrading
the motherboard drivers but after going to the VIA website, and not
been particularly techie, frankly I was terrified!

Can any one point me in the right direction? Anybody had similar
problems?

Thanks in advance

The latest VIA chipset drivers are the 4.55 Hyperion vp1.

http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=2

They have a self-installer.

Joe

<rob.walsh@goldserve.net> wrote in message
> Hi there,
>
> I've searched the groups for a solution but can't seem to find the
> answer to my problem:
>
> My PC specs are:
> AMD Athlon XP 2400+ CPU
> 512MB ram
> ASUS A7V-8X-A-L motherboard
> Geforce 4 TI 4600 Graphics card
> Mitsubishu DPro 930 Monitor
>
> The problem I have is when I try to upgrade my graphics card drivers.
> Everything is seemingly ok for a couple of reboots but then the monitor
> switches itself to power save mode during boot up. Occasionally just
> prior to this I get a white box in the middle of the screen with moving
> diagnal lines behind.
>
> Somebody mentioned that it could be something to do with display
> refresh rate but I've only got it set to 75 hz on a 1152 x 864
> resolution (which I consider to be minimum). I did consider upgrading
> the motherboard drivers but after going to the VIA website, and not
> been particularly techie, frankly I was terrified!
>
> Can any one point me in the right direction? Anybody had similar
> problems?
>
> Thanks in advance

You should definitely have the drivers installed as Joe says.

I had another thought though. Gainward made a batch of Ti4X00 cards with
faulty capacitors (do a google). Many of them seem to play up when the cold
weather comes.

Paul

"Joe727" <nospam.nospam@nospam> wrote in message
> The latest VIA chipset drivers are the 4.55 Hyperion vp1.
>
> http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=2
>
> They have a self-installer.
>
> Joe
>
> <rob.walsh@goldserve.net> wrote in message
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I've searched the groups for a solution but can't seem to find the
>> answer to my problem:
>>
>> My PC specs are:
>> AMD Athlon XP 2400+ CPU
>> 512MB ram
>> ASUS A7V-8X-A-L motherboard
>> Geforce 4 TI 4600 Graphics card
>> Mitsubishu DPro 930 Monitor
>>
>> The problem I have is when I try to upgrade my graphics card drivers.
>> Everything is seemingly ok for a couple of reboots but then the monitor
>> switches itself to power save mode during boot up. Occasionally just
>> prior to this I get a white box in the middle of the screen with moving
>> diagnal lines behind.
>>
>> Somebody mentioned that it could be something to do with display
>> refresh rate but I've only got it set to 75 hz on a 1152 x 864
>> resolution (which I consider to be minimum). I did consider upgrading
>> the motherboard drivers but after going to the VIA website, and not
>> been particularly techie, frankly I was terrified!
>>
>> Can any one point me in the right direction? Anybody had similar
>> problems?
>>
>> Thanks in advance

Thanks Guys,

I'll download the new drivers and see how I go on from there.

Interesting what you say about the capacitors though because after I
install the new graphics drivers they usually work fine after a few
reboots. It's only the next day that they start to play up when I boot
up from cold. Hmmm....

Thanks again!

Rob

Hi again,

I've been back to Mesh re the above problem as I still can't install
the latest drivers. They've told me to look through the archive of
older drivers to see if they work.

Surely this is a load of old nonsense. Either Nvidia support my card or
they don't.

Anyone have any thoughts on what my next step should be?
Thanks in advance,

Rob.

The latest drivers will NOT work with that older card. The latest drivers
were designed for cards that support DX9, which yours does NOT. Use the
45.23 driver from Nvidia for stability with that older card.

--
DaveW

> Hi again,
>
> I've been back to Mesh re the above problem as I still can't install
> the latest drivers. They've told me to look through the archive of
> older drivers to see if they work.
>
> Surely this is a load of old nonsense. Either Nvidia support my card or
> they don't.
>
> Anyone have any thoughts on what my next step should be?
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Rob.

DaveL

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001

That's a lie!

DaveL

DaveW wrote:
> <rob.walsh@goldserve.net> wrote in message

>> Hi again,
>>
>> I've been back to Mesh re the above problem as I still can't install
>> the latest drivers. They've told me to look through the archive of
>> older drivers to see if they work.
>>
>> Surely this is a load of old nonsense. Either Nvidia support my card
>> or they don't.
>>
>> Anyone have any thoughts on what my next step should be?
>> Thanks in advance,

> The latest drivers will NOT work with that older card. The latest
> drivers were designed for cards that support DX9, which yours does
> NOT. Use the 45.23 driver from Nvidia for stability with that older card.

I dunno, I used every new beta/leaked/certified nVidia driver that I found
on my Ti4200 8X and never got anything but good results. Never did anything
but install the new drivers over the old, either.

--
dvus

Can't say the same thing, My PNY Ti4200 always gets better performance
from 45.23 than from anything newer. Benchmark scores and framerates in
games drops when using later drivers.
Just my two cents - from personal experience.

DaveW wrote:
> The latest drivers will NOT work with that older card. The latest drivers
> were designed for cards that support DX9, which yours does NOT. Use the
> 45.23 driver from Nvidia for stability with that older card.

Enough of this rubbish! I'm using a 6x series driver with my GeForce 2
Pro and GeForce 4 Ti without issue. Some people may be having problems,
but making blanket statements like that above are wrong.

Cheers Guys,

At the moment I'm running driver 45.23 and everything seems to be
running ok-ish. I'm playing Half Life 2 and apart from the odd moment
where it seems to briefly get stuck in a loop, it seems to be running
ok. I wasn't sure if this was because of the old drivers.

As a side issue, will adding another 512mb memory make a big difference
or should I start thinking about upgrading my card?

Gil wrote:

> Can't say the same thing, My PNY Ti4200 always gets better performance
> from 45.23 than from anything newer. Benchmark scores and framerates
> in games drops when using later drivers.
> Just my two cents - from personal experience.

<shrug...>, some in here agree with your findings, others not so much. What
seems important is to determine what works best for you and go with that.

--
dvus

I would agree with you if my personal experience was different. Newer
drivers definately WORK, but my Ti4200 runs faster and better with
older drivers. Sorry if you don't agree with me, but I have been down
this road. 10-15% performance hit is enough for me to switch back to an
older driver.

I think you will find that other owners of Geforce 4 Titanium cards
agree with me.

> The latest drivers will NOT work with that older card. The latest drivers
> were designed for cards that support DX9, which yours does NOT. Use the
> 45.23 driver from Nvidia for stability with that older card.

I honestly don't understand why people still claim this once in a while.
For years now Nvidia drivers have been unified and designed to work with ALL
Geforce cards. It's true that some of the newer drivers may give slightly
slower performance (people report varying results in this regard), but it's
also true that they fix issues with various apps and games. It doesn't
matter that the new drivers are designed to work with DX9 cards -- they're
designed to work with earlier cards as well.

I'd personally recommend using the latest drivers from Nvidia for ANY
Geforce card if you want the most trouble free installation.

Larry

Gil wrote:
> I would agree with you if my personal experience was different. Newer
> drivers definately WORK, but my Ti4200 runs faster and better with
> older drivers. Sorry if you don't agree with me, but I have been down
> this road. 10-15% performance hit is enough for me to switch back to an
> older driver.
>
> I think you will find that other owners of Geforce 4 Titanium cards
> agree with me.

Read again, you just agreed with everything he said!

I'm new to nVidia just buying a 2nd hand pc with a TI4800SE in it. I've
installed the latest drivers, 66.93 I think. What drivers would you
recommend instead?

pjp wrote:
> I'm new to nVidia just buying a 2nd hand pc with a TI4800SE in it. I've
> installed the latest drivers, 66.93 I think. What drivers would you
> recommend instead?

First off, I'd recommend that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If you
don't have any problems with 66.93, then leave them there and play some
games!

"@lias" <yahoo.com@kix_pet> wrote in message news:41e3639c$1@clear.net.nz...
> pjp wrote:
>> I'm new to nVidia just buying a 2nd hand pc with a TI4800SE in it. I've
>> installed the latest drivers, 66.93 I think. What drivers would you
>> recommend instead?
>>
> First off, I'd recommend that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If you
> don't have any problems with 66.93, then leave them there and play some
> games!

U r probably right. Most games running finest kind, e.g. complete MOH
series, Halo, UT2004, POP-SOT, COD, NFSU & U2, DF-BHD, PainKiller, Doom 3
etc. etc.

Only having real problems with two games, both VRally 3 and HFS-HP2 just
terminate back to desktop with no error or anything. I have to assume
beforehand) as NFS-HP2 did run when first brought machine home although
VRally 3 didn't then either. Both games run finest kind (meaning no hiccups
although slow) on my old PIII so know it's not the cd's etc.

I also seem to recall Unreal II had a problem at some cut scene at start of
first mission also. I'm not entirely convinced yet that the problems I've
seen aren't codec related rather than video driver etc. Most cases haven't
bothered to track down patches etc. as I'm still in process of deciding just
what ones I'm loading up system with.

user nvidia

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
My PC specs are:
AMD Athlon Sempron 3000
1024MB ram visipro pc 3200 dual channel
ASUS K8N motherboard Forceware driver
Geforce 4 TI 4200 8x Graphics card driver 61.77
Samsung 765 MB Monitor res 1600 x 1024 75 Hz

My Driver does't have any Problem for my graphic card