Somewhere between a Geforce Ti4600 and a 5900 XT?

Hi all,

Been having some really weird problems lately with my system - spent
ages trying to sort it but I am at the stage of starting to swap out
components. So, to cut a long story short, my feeling is that my GeForce
Ti4600 is the most likely culprit and is the first thing I'm going to
replace.

My specs are: P4 2.53/533, 512Mb RDRAM PC800 on an Intel D850EMV2 mobo
with the above Ti4600 and a 300W PSU.

The Ti4600 is still pretty good performance wise (when my system isn't
playing silly buggers) but since I am replacing it I have looked into
what I should replace it with - hopefully get a few more fps in the
process.

I have looked at the FX5700LE 128Mb 8x - has the features I need (dual
head / DX9 etc.) but I understand it is not much faster than the Ti4600.

The 5900XT seems the way to go but I understand that it needs a molex
connection and a 350W PSU - where mine is only 300W.

Is there a happy medium between the 2? I would really be grateful for
any advice and suggetsion regarding what card/chipset I should be
looking at. Budget is about £120 GBP - not looking for cutting edge
until I upgrade my mobo and CPU next year sometime.

Many thanks for any guidance.

--
Steve

Steve Reeves <steve@stever.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>I have looked at the FX5700LE 128Mb 8x - has the features I need (dual
>head / DX9 etc.) but I understand it is not much faster than the Ti4600.
>The 5900XT seems the way to go but I understand that it needs a molex
>connection and a 350W PSU - where mine is only 300W.
>Is there a happy medium between the 2? I would really be grateful for
>any advice and suggetsion regarding what card/chipset I should be
>looking at. Budget is about £120 GBP - not looking for cutting edge
>until I upgrade my mobo and CPU next year sometime.
>Many thanks for any guidance.

Have you looked into the model - nVIDIA GeForce FX5500 Video Card, 256MB?
DDR, 128-bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP - BUS: AGP 4X/8X -- $92 at newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-130-197&depa=0
(128 MB can be had in stores around here on sale right now for $59).

I do not know what a molex connnector is, never heard of it - can't you
add one? The good cards come with one - If it comes with the card, is it
useable then, or do you need to add something to your computer to be able
to use it?

If you are going to spend $180 - $200 for a 5900XT, absolutely best card
to get in this price range, far and away above anything except a Radeon
9800 Pro (beats it though), is the new nVidia 6600GT 128 MB. The AGP
version has a molex connector onboard the spec said somewhere.. But
problem for you - I see 8x only listed for the few models they have right
now in the AGP, not listed as 4x & 8x. It specs a 300 watt power supply
minimum I believe, not 350 or more. GFor anyone else reading this, the
AGP 6600GT is $229 at newegg - AGP 8x, not AGP 4x & 8x:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-140-048&depa=0

(If any of you looking in have a newer motherbard PCI-Express (PCIE) there
are a lot of 6600GTs for sale - in which case starting at $185 new, & $159
refurb at newegg.

Have you considered a Raeon 9800 Pro? Many are 4x 8x cards, with this
weird-to-me molex connector with them. At newegg maybe one model for $205
or so - but the prices depend a lot on the manufactirer & the bundle of
games or no games that come with it - for a 9800 Pro card with half-life2
bundled is $154. or with Doom 3 maybe $229 (have to look).

My computer manufacturer told me this:
"Your system has an AU31 motherboard, which is manufactured by FIC and has
an AGP slot that complies with AGP 3.0 and supports 1.5V/0.8V 4X/8X AGP
video cards." So I'll be able to use a 8x AGP only card I guess.

By the way, again, if you are looking to spend that $200, a
ATI AIW RADEON 9800PRO Video Card, 128MB DDR, 256-bit, DVI/CATV/VIVO, 8X
AGP, Model "ALL-IN-WONDER 9800 PRO" BUS: AGP 4X/8X -- -- $239.

Here, here is the ATI AIW RADEON 9800PRO Video Card, 128MB DDR, 256-bit,
DVI/CATV/VIVO, 8X AGP, Model "ALL-IN-WONDER 9800 PRO (BUS: AGP 4X/8X),
"All-In-Wonder" having a few more features than a standard 9800 Pro.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-102-297&depa=0

...D.

------- (quote):
NVIDIA’s launch of its GeForce 6600GT last month embarked a new price to
performance ratio that’s meant gamers on a budget could in fact enjoy
excellent performance in many of today’s shipping games with a bit of
headroom for the future. Its 8-pixel pipeline architecture operating at a
whopping 500 Megahertz brings very nice gaming prowess in a package under
$200 dollars. What was missing, however, was an AGP version of it so the
masses could all take advantage of it.

The wait will soon be over as the AGP version will start shipping to
retail outlets everywhere very soon.

This card looks rather identical to the PCI-Express version with the
exception of a single Molex power connector – PCI Express can deliver more
voltage thru the bus as opposed to AGP so that’s why this card does have
the Molex connector. Additionally, our reference card was equipped with
dual DVI outputs as opposed to the single VGA and DVI outputs on the PCI-E
version. The heatsink is also a bit different as it not only has a
spiffy-looking Doom 3 sticker - it’s mounted at a more abrupt angle as
well.

The 500MHz GPU core and 900MHz (450MHz DDR) memory are here as well, and
like the PCI-E version this one does have a bit of headroom in it for
overclocking as well. Using NVIDIA's overclocking driver tool, we were
able to push our card ever-so-slightly up a bit to 5480MHz on the GPU core
and 1.12MHz on the RAM side.

Our only wish here is that NVIDIA would release a 256MB version as many of
the future games – and even a few current ones – can really take advantage
of additional on-board memory, especially in light of the fact that this
is using the more bandwidth-challenged AGP bus.

Even though ATI released its X700 to the press last month, the key thing
NVIDIA has going for it is that it’s beating ATI in most of our benchmarks
and it appears to be winning in the department of actually shipping its
product in volume and now with an AGP part as well.

Additionally, the same, built-in video acceleration technology helps
improve overall video quality for Windows Media Center – its
high-definition support makes some nice improvements for videophiles.

Since the NV43 GPU is a native PCI-Express chip, NVIDIA had to use an
internal HIS (High Speed Interconnect) bridge chip to go from PCI-E to AGP
8x. This helped them save time and money and get an AGP part out more
quickly.

The nice thing about this bridge chip is that it allows the inner
circuitry of the GPU to run at a the full PCI-Express bandwidth of 8
Gigabytes per second – it doesn’t slow down until it’s translated to the
AGP8x spec. What this means is that NVIDIA should be able to take
advantage of AGP16x bandwidth whenever it gets released.
-- (end quote)

Stay with the Ti4600 unless it is faulty.... add the money you have not
spent to fund for new Graphics card + CPU + PSU next year?

It's hard to beat the Ti4600 (without spending a lot - 6600GT maybe) and
even if you did upgrade it your CPU would limit the new cards ultimate
performance...?

Guy

Steve Reeves wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Been having some really weird problems lately with my system - spent
> ages trying to sort it but I am at the stage of starting to swap out
> components. So, to cut a long story short, my feeling is that my
> GeForce Ti4600 is the most likely culprit and is the first thing I'm
> going to replace.
>
> My specs are: P4 2.53/533, 512Mb RDRAM PC800 on an Intel D850EMV2 mobo
> with the above Ti4600 and a 300W PSU.
>
> The Ti4600 is still pretty good performance wise (when my system isn't
> playing silly buggers) but since I am replacing it I have looked into
> what I should replace it with - hopefully get a few more fps in the
> process.
>
> I have looked at the FX5700LE 128Mb 8x - has the features I need (dual
> head / DX9 etc.) but I understand it is not much faster than the
> Ti4600.
> The 5900XT seems the way to go but I understand that it needs a molex
> connection and a 350W PSU - where mine is only 300W.
>
> Is there a happy medium between the 2? I would really be grateful for
> any advice and suggetsion regarding what card/chipset I should be
> looking at. Budget is about £120 GBP - not looking for cutting edge
> until I upgrade my mobo and CPU next year sometime.
>
> Many thanks for any guidance.

I'll keep it short... don't get an FX 5500. Hold on to your Ti4600 for a bit
longer....

Jon.

"...D." <d@no_usenet_email..org> wrote in message
> [...]
> product in volume and now with an AGP part as well.
>
> Additionally, the same, built-in video acceleration technology helps
> improve overall video quality for Windows Media Center - its
> high-definition support makes some nice improvements for videophiles.
>
> Since the NV43 GPU is a native PCI-Express chip, NVIDIA had to use an
> internal HIS (High Speed Interconnect) bridge chip to go from PCI-E to AGP
> 8x. This helped them save time and money and get an AGP part out more
> quickly.
>
> The nice thing about this bridge chip is that it allows the inner
> circuitry of the GPU to run at a the full PCI-Express bandwidth of 8
> Gigabytes per second - it doesn't slow down until it's translated to the
> AGP8x spec. What this means is that NVIDIA should be able to take
> advantage of AGP16x bandwidth whenever it gets released.

Steve Reeves:
> Been having some really weird problems lately with my system ... my
> feeling is that my GeForce Ti4600 is the most likely culprit

I doubt it. IME, video card problems were obvious. What is the problem?

> I have looked at the FX5700LE 128Mb 8x - has the features I need
> (dual head / DX9 etc.) but I understand it is not much faster than
> the Ti4600.

The 5700LE is about half as fast as a Ti4600. Look at a few benchmarks.

> The 5900XT seems the way to go but I understand that it needs a molex
> connection and a 350W PSU - where mine is only 300W.

What brand PS do you have? I'm running a 5900XT off a Dell 250W.

> Is there a happy medium between the 2? I would really be grateful for
> any advice and suggetsion regarding what card/chipset I should be
> looking at. Budget is about £120 GBP - not looking for cutting edge
> until I upgrade my mobo and CPU next year sometime.

There are no cards without a molex that are faster than your 4600. I
doubt there are any cards in your budget that are faster.
--
Mac Cool

I'm running a PNY Verto 5900XT on an HP Pavilion and 250 watt PSU, and
runs fine.

Hi all - thanks very much for everybody's replies - very useful.

>Steve Reeves:
>> Been having some really weird problems lately with my system ... my
>> feeling is that my GeForce Ti4600 is the most likely culprit
>
>I doubt it. IME, video card problems were obvious. What is the problem?

I think you're right, I now believe that the man 3.3V supply to the
board on the man power connector is causing the problem. The supply was
erratic and dipping to 2.6V - when this happened my displays started
going weird and powering off etc. I noticed that when I moved the cables
that were almost lying on the 4600 the power on that connection moved. I
have now strapped them up and away from the 4600 and the power is now at
a constant 3.2V. PSU may still become a problem - we'll see.

>> I have looked at the FX5700LE 128Mb 8x - has the features I need
>> (dual head / DX9 etc.) but I understand it is not much faster than
>> the Ti4600.
>
>The 5700LE is about half as fast as a Ti4600. Look at a few benchmarks.
I did and it seemed a bit faster - always hard to tell though with
benchmarks unless running your apps and your system.

>> The 5900XT seems the way to go but I understand that it needs a molex
>> connection and a 350W PSU - where mine is only 300W.
>
>What brand PS do you have? I'm running a 5900XT off a Dell 250W.
Interesting - mine is a 300W PSU - has an Intel label on it - although
not sure if that's just a label saying it's certified for ATX12V.
Encouraging that I may not need a meatier PSU. I was just sure I read a
review of the 5900 and it said it needed an additional power supply.

>> Is there a happy medium between the 2? I would really be grateful for
>> any advice and suggetsion regarding what card/chipset I should be
>> looking at. Budget is about £120 GBP - not looking for cutting edge
>> until I upgrade my mobo and CPU next year sometime.
>
>There are no cards without a molex that are faster than your 4600. I
>doubt there are any cards in your budget that are faster.
Thanks for this, I must admit I was beginning to wonder! The card I have
is over 2 years old (top of the line when bought mind you) - and it
still handles Doom3/HL2 etc. perfectly well. I was surprised how hard it
was to get something for a 100 quid that was more powerful! Since I have
the 3.3V line in stable - no more problems - so the 4600 lives to see
another day!

Thanks for your help.

--
Steve

Steve Reeves:

>>The 5700LE is about half as fast as a Ti4600. Look at a few benchmarks.
> I did and it seemed a bit faster - always hard to tell though with
> benchmarks unless running your apps and your system.

You're confusing the 5700 and 5700LE. The 5700 is roughly equivalent in
performance to a Ti4200-4600 depending on the game. The LE is like a
'light' version of the 5700.

Glad you found the problem though.
--
Mac Cool